Oklahoma: Honobia Creek/James Collins WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma: Honobia Creek/James Collins WMA

Anyone on here ever been to Honobia Creek or James Collins WMA? My family used to own 400 acres in Pittsburg County but sold back in 2014. Ready to head back up there this fall.

Will have a few days to shed hunt in the following weeks and was wondering if anyone had some advice for me as to what I should expect? Torn between the massive Honobia and the archery-only James Collins.

Any advice is appreciated, feel free to comment if you hunt any of the other surrounding WMAs.

James Collins was always said to be the best place in the state for a chance at a 200" deer. It was always packed with hunters and they killed some nice deer. A few years back Oklahoma stopped allowing baiting on public lands and the hunter numbers for James Collins dwindled. Doesn't get near as crowded anymore.

Comment

My grandfather and father before me have always hunted Hanobia, long before Warehouser even peiced it up and sold it to Rayoneir and the other outfits. I've been there for the past 7 seasons. I personally don't think the hunting gets much better than up there as long as you're ok with hoofing it and finding a spot away from other hunters.

Comment

As mentioned above, be prepared to put in the miles.

Comment

Originally posted by mudpudler View Post
          As mentioned above, be prepared to put in the miles.
          That's the best part of the process! Besides the shot of course

Ended up going with Hugo Lake WMA since they don't close during the first nine days of rifle like many other WMAs, yet still have a bow only area with an antler restriction that is several thousand acres. Already made two trips during spring break from school and familiarized myself with the place, even found a nice shed, encountered some deer and hogs, found some sign, ready for October.

I'll get my fair share of ticks n chiggers this summer as well I'm sure.

Comment

I've heard good things about James Collins.

Comment

What are your thoughts on hogs at those places? Any suggestions?

Comment

Hadn't seen any hogs, thank god, hate those things.

Comment

James Collins deer tactics

Hey guys, I’d like to piggy back off of Champlaya7’s initial post.
                  I got drawn for a deer hunt at James Collins WMA. I’ve got my game plan, but I’d appreciate any additional info. I’m not asking for your spot, just curious which tactics work best for you.
                  I’d be more than happy to share deer and duck public land hunting info in Texas and Mississippi (with trail cam pics).
                  Thanks.
                  Last edited by Venison4Dinner; 11-15-2018, 08:37 AM. Reason: Polite

Comment

Ash creek area holds a lot of big deer. But my favorite spots where always around the prairie. An often overlooked spot is right behind the metal barns when you drive through the first gates....be mindful of the safety zone there.

I pretty much grew up there. Never saw a 200” deer, but saw several that could get close to it

Comment

I appreciate the response, 3whunt.
                      Great minds must think alike, I was eyeing a few of those spots already (depending on wind and other hunters).

Comment

Working...
                      X