Oklahoma Big Buck Down!! 11.06.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma Big Buck Down!! 11.06.20

Been a while for me posting but figured I would share.

So we left for our annual Oklahoma 10day hunt. Last year we went a week later and had little to no good deer movement so we decided to back it up a week and I’m glad we did. We hunted for 10 days hard only getting out for two hours a day to refuel and power nap. During this week I had 5 encounters (All in which non worked in my favor) with good ligit shooters and about 7-10 doe. I took me a big slick head on the first day to prime the camp. Fast forward to Friday 11.06.20. I went and hung sets at a location on a ridge near a creek bottom we have let lay for a year. Our plan was to hunt the stand later in the week. My buddy that hunts at this location with me decided to drop back and hunt a big 8pt that’s been frequenting another stand. So I went to the new location 5miles from camp and climbed in around 5:30am. At around 7:30am I heard something coming from a trail that never gets used. It was a bruiser coming in and had him at 10yards. He was making his way down wind and I could not move. He caught some scent he did not like and turned around leaving the way he came in. I was able to draw my bow and waited for a 40 yard snap shot through an oak thicket and sent the arrow. I did not have time to adjust my single pin so I aimed high. The arrow flew just under the armpit and he darted unscathed. I got down to check the arrow in which was a clean miss and climbed back up feeling defeated. 20 minutes later I looked behind me and saw the same or another brute headed toward my set. This buck was a shooter and he settled in at a feed like I placed out. He was facing me and I was already at full draw. He looked up at me 25ft up and had a staring contest that had to last about 4 minutes although it seemed like an hour while at full draw. I could not move and was shaking as my Mathews is set at 70lb draw weight. He lowered his head to get a better look and against what I wanted to do I settled my pin between his rack and found a spot that I felt would get the vitals. I sent the arrow into the top of his neck penetrating into his chest and got a clean pass through. The buck bolted out and I could see a huge blood trail he was leaving behind. With much anticipation I called my buddy and told him how bad he messed up by picking the wrong set. We let him lay an hour and then went to pick up the blood trail. The buck ran about 300 yards leaving behind a solid trail indicating he was hit hard. When I laid eyes on him about 50 yards down a trail I could see he was still alive as he lifted his head up but did not have the energy to stand. We backed out and have him two more hours. I marked the location and we returned after lunch. The buck expired at the same spot and the recovery was now done. What a rollercoaster of a week and happy to put the 3rd largest buck in my hands. Super proud of this accomplishment and feeling rewarded for all the hard work that had come into harvesting this guy. Thanks for the read.

The more I see about all these big OK bucks the more I wanna cross the red river next season. Awesome buck and write up! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on a beautiful buck.

Comment

Awesome buck,,, great recap!

Comment

Very nice buck

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Very nice buck congratulations

Comment

Very nice buck!

Comment

Beautiful Buck! Congratulations

Comment

Congrats, impressive buck sir.

Rwc

Comment

Nice one

Comment

Very nice, congrats to you

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Great buck! Where are yall hunting at in Oklahoma? Is it a lease or public land?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great buck and way to stay in the game!

Comment

Working...
                              X