Euro or shoulder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro or shoulder?

What are your determining factors when deciding on a euro or shoulder mount? I have 1 euro mount. The cost was $150, the space it takes up is the lesser of the two and my wife complained about how much room it took up hanging on the wall in the guestroom. I'm trying to figure out what kind of deer would be worth the extra coin and complaining that would come along if I were to ever get a shoulder mount... What are your requirements for shoulder mounts?

I only have one shoulder mount a black buck, and a euro axis, and my first elk is also going to be a euro although he honestly could have been shoulder mounted. I just like the look of a euro personally better than a shoulder mount. Except for the black buck. He was way to pretty not to get a shoulder mount done. but whitetails and elk and axis are kinda ugly so they get euroed.

Comment

To me it is all about the memory and how I want to portray it. If I really cherish the memory and want to ‘show it off’ then I’ll shoulder mount it. I used to euro quite a few of my deer, but Im not really a huge fan of them, so I’ll just cut the antlers off of the head. The wife uses them for different decorations around the house.

Comment

Cost is not a factor for my but I like euro's the best. I do my own. Cost less than $10 to do.

-john

Comment

I’m a big fan of euros for looks and show and tell purposes.

Comment

I skull cap most of the nicer ones. Screw them up on the patio and they are there to look at as I'm grilling. I have 3 shoulder mounts but I dunno. My viewpoint has changed on it over the years. The right deer taken with the right equipment or a nice axis buck and I'd shoulder mount it. That's about it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends on what kind of meaning it has. High fence eh just throw it out back for the dog to chew on. Free range deer you have been chasing for a few years. Shoulder for sure.

Comment

My first buck in '05 I got shoulder mounted. Pretty nice 10 point, but it was the biggest deer I had ever seen around here at the time and I figured I'd never shoot one bigger. I shot a couple spikes the next few years and just cut off the skull cap. '10 I shot a nice 8 point that was bigger than my first buck, so I got it shoulder mounted, because I figured I'd never shoot one bigger. Shot a 8 point, 9 point, and a cull with a spike on one side and 4 points on the other side. Euro mounted all 3 of those. Last year, I shot a 156" 13 point. Yep... figured I'd never shoot one bigger, so he's at the taxi getting shoulder mounted.

Comment

If you will get more pleasure looking at it and remembering then you will pain from listening to it and trying to forget shoulder mount.

Comment

I got rid of my mounts and just have the antlers. I could kill a 200" low fence buck, and he'd get skull capped and hung in the garage. Just different strokes for different folks. Nobody says you have to mount one.

Comment

I will shoulder mount any buck that is bigger than the biggest one I've shot. I skull mount all the other ones I take, unless it is a trash buck or spike. But I usually do the euro myself.

Comment

I like euros. Not a huge fan of the furry head on the wall.

Comment

Everyone's answer will be different. I personally love taxidermy so I have quite a few mounts, but not near as many as some on here. I have 6 shoulder mounts, 6 euros, and a few other critters in the house now that are mine. My personal determining factor has a little to do with the memory and a little to do with the size/age. If the hunt was special and a particular buck was a challenge to hunt and had a story, I'll mount him. Other than that, he usually has to be bigger than my previous bow or rifle kill to get shoulder mounted.

Comment

I have 10 shoulder (whitetail) mounts, 20+ Euro mounts and 50+ skull caps with antlers attached. I like them all and could tell you the story behind each one. I probably won't shoulder mount another one unless it's bigger than my others. Fortunately, My wife likes them and has several of her own hanging in the house as well.

Comment

My P&Y WT is shoulder mounted and I have numerous other shoulder mounts as well. For me i go by what a trophy for a particular species or area would be justifies me paying for a mount and not just capping them at the skull. I have euro mule deer that probably 80% of people would shoulder mount but in my mind they aren’t big enough to justify a shoulder mount. It’s all in what the animal means to you really what it comes down to. Heck I know people that got their first deer shoulder mounted.

Comment

Working...
                              X