Preferred Trotline Hooks/Bait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferred Trotline Hooks/Bait

My son and I finally broke down and but a boat in the river on our Sulphur River place and discovered we have been missing out on the catfishing. I would like to get some trotlines put together and wanted to see what size/type hook you "pros" use. We are specifically targeting eater size channels (minimum legal size to 3lbs or so) although we certainly aren't going to turn our noses up at bigger fish. We have been wearing them out with nightcrawlers on rod and reel. Any other bait we should be using?

8/0-12/0 circle hooks. Shad for bait

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
      8/0-12/0 circle hooks. Shad for bait
      That big ?!...for small fish?

Comment

Comment

Circle and crawfish

Comment

3 or 4/0 circle and shad

Comment

If you don't want to land big ones then small light wire circles work great. Use cut shad.

Or get a pack like this. So if you have big baits or perch you can put them on bigger hooks. Cut carp works really well if it's fresh but you'll have straightened hooks if using less than 8/0

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                My son and I finally broke down and but a boat in the river on our Sulphur River place and discovered we have been missing out on the catfishing. I would like to get some trotlines put together and wanted to see what size/type hook you "pros" use. We are specifically targeting eater size channels (minimum legal size to 3lbs or so) although we certainly aren't going to turn our noses up at bigger fish. We have been wearing them out with nightcrawlers on rod and reel. Any other bait we should be using?

When I was younger I would catch the big yellow grasshoppers during the summer months. IMO, Best bait for summer creek/river channel cats. And it was free.
                If you could find beef liver, that’d be a close second.

Comment

These are the ones I use. Huge gar will straighten one or two out each year. And we catch plenty of smaller catfish with them.

But you need to buy in bulk to get a decent price. A long time ago I got a 1,000 pack for 38 cents per hook.

Comment

Eagle claw big eye stainless offset 6/0
                    I can’t recall the Model number, would have to look

I make my main line with heavy green braided line. I will have to see the number, I think it’s like number 96 or something. It’s around 900-1000 I believe. Reason being is it’s easier on the hands and I thread all my swivels on and tie the line prior. No clips or crimps.

The stagings are a bit lighter, same type of line but it’s the size that’s like 200 lb I believe.
                    Last edited by SwampBuck; 08-12-2020, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I fish sulphur a bunch. For eater size fish use a 2/0 or 3/0 trotline hook. Hands down the best bait I’ve found is the red catfish Charlie. Just mold it on the hook real good.

Comment

Not sure what size hooks, we normally just buy them pre rigged from walmart or academy. For bait we use hot dog pieces. Sounds weird but has worked very well for us. Its all we use now.

Comment

I like live crawfish for bait and 3/0 hooks should work just fine.

Comment

Had a buddy that used a soap and cheese mix and would catch cats like crazy on that concoction. I grew up using livers, grasshoppers, and cut shad. All work fine.

Wouldn't go too big on hooks.

Comment

I use 5/0 - 8/0 Gamakatsu 4x circle hooks. Lots of big gar in our water. Bluegill and crawfish stay on the hooks very well

Comment

Working...
                              X