Downsizing, have you done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downsizing, have you done it?

I’ll be 47 this year, and we live in a “cookie cutter neighborhood” that’s in a great area. We have a 16 year old sophomore we/he wants to finish at his school, But we’re seriously thinking about downsizing. We’re in our latter 40’s, like our home (3,872sq/ft. heated) but would like to buy some land/home. I work in the Pasadena Tx area and would need to rent an apartment until our son graduates and drive a bit; I Know..., but the trade off is better in the long run, I think. We’re thinking either a house Or, Yes, Double Wide mobile home/land. I’ve got ~$150k equity in my home, and would love to be Mortgage Free. I think I can secure a really nice new Double wide and a lot, or Some land that borders a National Forest so no one can build next to me near or between Lake Conroe-Livingston. We’d be near 2 great fishing lakes and our lease; and could hunt from our backyard if wanted!
    Is this logical, thoughts, experiences, advice?
    Thanks,
    Roby

Hell yes downsizing is almost always logical!

I wouldn't go the trailer route personally but cutting expenses and getting rid of an oversized house is a great idea

Comment

We had good intentions on downsizing after retirement but actually increased our one story house size. We are happy with the decision and with improvements in energy efficiency options of homes it works out for us. I would advise against a mobile home from an investment perspective.

Comment

I went from a 2700 sq ft house to a 340' FEMA trailer for a year. I also have a 2 year old. We had intentions on building on 26 acres, but have another couple years of improvements to do so we decided to move the FEMA trailer out and get us a single wide. We absolutely love it thus far. You learn real quick what you can and can't live without. If you plan on moving the mobile home off the property I would avoid a double wide. The cost to move a double wide off the property when it is time to build a house is exponentially more than that of a single wide. This has been the best decision we've made as a young family. My wife stays home with the baby, and we're essentially debt free before we're 30. Saving money, and planning on building out there eventually, but we're in no hurry what so ever at the moment.

Comment

I’m the opposite. Lol. Still downsizing though. I’m seriously thinking about selling my property in the next 2-3 years and moving into a house on the water. We own everything outright so I’d be able to buy the waterfront house I want and put some money in the bank. I spend too much time and money trying to keep my place up. Had to buy a new tractor this year, there goes $40k. Probably get a new lawnmower this year, there goes $6-7k. I’d rather take that money and buy a new boat, at least that brings me joy. Lol

Comment

Go for it man! Just make sure y’all would truly be happy in a double wide several years down the road.

Comment

For the record, the “double wide” idea isn’t set in stone. If the right house/land option came along with a small loan, so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                I’m the opposite. Lol. Still downsizing though. I’m seriously thinking about selling my property in the next 2-3 years and moving into a house on the water. We own everything outright so I’d be able to buy the waterfront house I want and put some money in the bank. I spend too much time and money trying to keep my place up. Had to buy a new tractor this year, there goes $40k. Probably get a new lawnmower this year, there goes $6-7k. I’d rather take that money and buy a new boat, at least that brings me joy. Lol
                The term it’s cheaper to live in the country isn’t true in my case either. In statements you have made it is costly and time consuming to keep up property for sure. But then again it has its advantages but again it’s work.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                  I went from a 2700 sq ft house to a 340' FEMA trailer for a year. I also have a 2 year old. We had intentions on building on 26 acres, but have another couple years of improvements to do so we decided to move the FEMA trailer out and get us a single wide. We absolutely love it thus far. You learn real quick what you can and can't live without. If you plan on moving the mobile home off the property I would avoid a double wide. The cost to move a double wide off the property when it is time to build a house is exponentially more than that of a single wide. This has been the best decision we've made as a young family. My wife stays home with the baby, and we're essentially debt free before we're 30. Saving money, and planning on building out there eventually, but we're in no hurry what so ever at the moment.
                  Smart advice here on going the single wide route instead of a double wide.

Comment

Why not just get some shipping containers and a plasma cutter. Will withstand a lot more that a trailer and there are some great ideas. Look them up on the internet. Ive see one that had three of them welded together and they had a balcony up top on one of them with a sitting area and a covered outside area as well between them.

We are looking at downsizing soon. We are building out of ICF forms but will probably frame out a storage container to live in while house is being built. I figure with a plasma cutter and welder I could make the mods in a weekend. Simple plumbing and electrical wiring. May need 60a of service to run.

Lots of plans and ideas on the web

Comment

If I was in your shoes, I would have downsized already. 3,800 SF is massive for three people. I say go for it! Just make sure you get a big enough garage.

Comment

Look for a bungalow in The Heights and have it moved I see beautiful homes being moved out and they are selling dirt cheap. I think the company that moved the house across from me was called The Cherry Brothers or boys. If you need a few names shoot a pm and I’ll look around for some of the numbers in the neighborhood

Comment

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

3800 sf? That's crazy. Why?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am in the same boat, 4100 sq ft and only 2 of us. We are looking at downsizing but negotiations on what to give up still get a little heated. I am looking to add a shop and dog kennel while wife wants to keep a media and craft room. I am afraid to broach getting rid of formal dining and sitting room until I get rid of all the cast iron in the house. We need separate offices because I work at home (unless I decide to retire). I will tell you one thing we will miss is the volume especially since we have a quiet house (no tv or radio constantly playing). I will be relieved to cut my cooling bill in half though.

Comment

Working...
                              X