DIY Solar Exhaust for Cabin/Shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Solar Exhaust for Cabin/Shed

Our little 300sf cabin gets extremely hot when we aren't there and it takes forever to cool off once we arrive. This makes it pretty miserable when we get there late and try to go to bed. Not mention the excessive heat is hard on the contents inside the cabin. So, I decided to install a homemade solar exhaust fan to help get the hot air out.

I used a 4" computer fan, a 10 Watt solar panel I got off of Amazon, a 4" pvc elbow with flange, and a 5" X 3' exhaust pipe and top. Total build cost was right at $50.

I was out there 2 days and even though the building had been cooled by the AC already the house seemed to stay cooler than it usually does when we head out on the ranch for the day.

Sorry about the sideways pictures! I can't for the life of me to get them to post right side up!
    Attached Files

That is awesome. I see how you did it. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Do you have a battery connected to the solar panel or does it just run when there is light?

Comment

Originally posted by 9toes View Post
        Do you have a battery connected to the solar panel or does it just run when there is light?
        It only runs when the sun is out. No battery.

Comment

This is a great idea. It would work great in a blind as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
            This is a great idea. It would work great in a blind as well.
            this is correct.

I think this fan could be run off of a smaller solar panel if you had to.

Comment

How much noise does it make?

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
                How much noise does it make?
                You cant hear it.

This is a great setup if you're going to use it to vent a blind when you're not in it. Keeping it cooler before you get in it. I like to keep all the air trapped inside my blind when hunting.

If you're going to use this setup in a blind to blow air on you, I would go another route.

I personally use a small USB fan I got from the dollar store to accomplish this along with a power bank. This setup will run for 4+ hours. I just bought one fan for each of my blinds and then carry the power bank with me.

This is the solar panel I use. At $23 off Amazon it's a great value compared to the small $20 feeder panels out there. I've used this same Amazon solar panel for 2 years now to float my ranger battery. They are awesome! Fyi you have to make a bracket when mounting it. If you're going to use it to maintain a battery you also want to get a charge controller.
                Attached Files

Comment

Pictures fixed
                  Attached Files

Comment

I like the Idea and I did the same thing to our 300 sq ft Cabin .. except I have electricity. Good insulation combined with hot air exhaust on a timer switch when we're not there .. improves air quality big time.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                      this is correct.

I think this fan could be run off of a smaller solar panel if you had to.
                      My only problem with an exhaust fan in my blind is it blowing my scent out of the blind as well. I know it would be up but no telling where it would go after that.

Comment

Just wanted to update everyone on how this project has worked out since it's been a year since I installed it.

All I can tell you is WOW!!!

Our little cabin used to get blazing hot and would take hours to cool down with our window unit before it was tolerable. Now the cabin is cool enough to sleep in within an hour. In the past it would take 3 hours at a minimum.

In my opinion this little exhaust system keeps the inside of our cabin 15-20 degrees cooler in the heat of the summer - I'd say more than that but someone would call BS so I wont make that claim.

Comment

Great idea sir! I may have to do this for my storage shed.

On another noticed from your first and last pic, your a "Swampranger" fan?
                          He is one of the good fellers!

Comment

Assuming you turn it off while there and running AC. Is there a switch? Or do you just disconnect wires?

pray for rain

Comment

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
                              Assuming you turn it off while there and running AC. Is there a switch? Or do you just disconnect wires?

pray for rain
                              I just unplug the wires if I'm running the AC during the day. I dont run the AC much during the day since I'm usually not at the cabin. Once the sun goes down it turns itself off.

A switch could be installed easily and I have one ready to go but I wanted to make sure the fan wouldn't burn out. Then I just never got around to installing since unplugging is so easy.
                              Last edited by ballgame; 07-11-2020, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X