No announcement yet.

Shooting tripods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve been running both a Night Goggles Nightstalker tripod with the the Arca rail on my APR rifle or the Kopfjager Reaper Grip for a little while. Prior to that I was running a Bog Pod or similar knock off from Amazon that just has a rubber swiveling U notch.

The Good:
    The Nightstalker is rock solid. Either with last year’s APR build attached via the Arca rail or any other rifle clamped in the Reaper Grip.

You can remove the center pole from the Nightstalker and it will get so low you can shoot prone if you wanted.

Both work great from a ground blind if you have defined shooting lanes, but the Nightstalker is more solid.

The Bad:

The Nightstalker is heavier and with the Reaper Grip it’s much heavier. Not going to want to tote this around while trying to slip up in pigs all night. Better for calling coyotes in more open country.

If something slips in behind you or at an awkward angle it is difficult to deal with if the rifle is locked in. I had a coyote slip in from behind me on Friday and my AR was clamped in the Reaper Grip. Once he caught my wind and took off, I had to pick the tripod up and pretty much shoot off handed while the rifle was still attached. It worked, but would have been easier if I had been using the tripod with the simple rubber U notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a pig saddle on a heavy duty manfrotto I got on eBay.
      It’s solid.

Comment

Follow

Comment

Im a fan of the bog pod death grip. For the coin it is hard to beat. To me it not that noticeable of a weight difference to jump up the price to a carbon model. I run the aluminum model and they can be had for 140-160ish. We sell them for 149 and cant keep them in the shop.

Comment

Caldwell deadshot.

Comment

My son made a great shot at 370 yds. Off the bog death grip. It's very solid for what it is.

Comment

Caldwell makes a Field Pod. Works good. It’s not for stalking though

Comment

I have the death grip and really like it. It is definitely not light, but it’s rock solid and extremely adjustable. Was shooting 600 yard targets off it in this pic.

Comment

This might be a stupid question.

Can I mount one of these top gripps on Jim shockey tripod.
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JANKEII View Post
                      This might be a stupid question.

Can I mount one of these top gripps on Jim shockey tripod.
                      Thanks
                      Yes...but not stable. The handle on that Shockey Primos tripod is super flexible and torques real easy to the point its not stable...not worth the effort... Ive tried.

Comment

Originally posted by drs View Post
                        I have look hard at the bog but I'm 6'5 and dont think it will be tall enough
                        Go to a sporting goods store that has the Primos Trigger Stick Monopod and see if it is tall enough. This is my go to shooting sticks for night calling. Obviously this is not a tripod but I love mine. I am 6' and I do not have it extended all the way down. When I get home tonight I will pull a measurement for you of it fully extended. The tripods I had I couldn't get one tall enough with the legs spread out to actually benefit from the stability of a tripod. To get high enough I had get the legs so close to each other that I was not gaining anything from the third leg, I was two legging it the entire time.

Comment

Originally posted by drs View Post
                          I have look hard at the bog but I'm 6'5 and dont think it will be tall enough
                          I'm 6'7"
                          In have the Big pod tripod.
                          It'll work, just be careful how far you spread the legs.
                          To me it's not ideal, not perfect. It's my first and only tripod. It is better than holding shooting off hand

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
                          Last edited by Pushbutton2; 01-06-2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

The bottom of the "saddle" that holds your gun on the trigger stick monopod is at 65"

Comment

Originally posted by WRasco View Post
                              Primos Shooting Trigger Stick Tripod. Works well in the field, simple and quiet.
                              Get the tall one for standing shots. You can make it work if you are sitting, but takes some work
                              ^
                              This

Comment

I stuck a reaper grip on a slik tripod and it has worked well.

Comment

Working...
                                X