Ham Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ham Radio

Can anyone school me on where to get info on ham radio for a beginner?

If cellphones failed along with land lines, but you had access to a ham radio, how could you contact family at long distances?

When I was a kiddo, my Dad was into ham radio. Yea, I could talk to him about the subject, but he's been away from this for some time. It was a hobby, it was cool that in my backyard we had a tower that we debated if it required a warning light or not.

Dad had his ham radio license, so I'm sure he knew our antenna was well below the threshold or not.

But at the end of the day, in the current world we live in, where can I find info on ham radio?

My brother and I both live several hours from our parents. What I want to do is get each house hold a set up that we could communicate. Does not need to be secure.

For those that feel I need a tin-foil hat, know I got the big HEB role, and I look like Napoleon in it.

Given the time we live in, where Brandon is President, Russian has invade Ukrain, China wants to Butt Buddy Tawian, and our country is divided, I want to put together a comms plan for my family.

Thanks to all those that point me in the right direction.

For those that slam me, my prayer is you get diarrhea when you get to your morning set for the next 100 years.

I had an older co-worker I knew very well...became like an older cousin to me after so many years working together.....this fella was the son of a tv repair man and could fix most anything electronic......one of his hobbies was restoring old radios that were in ww2 planes and was also into ham radio....said it was cool to be able to talk to people on the radio way far away like folks did before the technology we had today....ill reach out to him and see if he knows where you can find out more about this....I know there were radio swap meets he would attend to find parts to put some of this equipment together
    Last edited by DEREKG22; 09-20-2022, 10:32 PM.

Comment

There should be access to an ARRL repeater directory somewhere if you will just do a web search. Find the call sign for your local repeater. That call sign will have a person's name attached to it. You may have to google the call sign to find the name. Contact that person and ask if there is a local ham radio club. Once you get in with those guys and gals, they can explain the licensing and rules and probably even have a class to take to prepare for the exams.

I am a ham, but not active for decades so I no longer get all the mailings and newsletters. I do still have a two-meter radio and a VHF rig, and the knowledge of how to get on the air. The ARRL (American Radio Relay League) was formed to set up a network of hams willing to do just what you are asking about.

Comment

Hopedale...... his Suggested "ARRL, American Radio Relay League....he'll find just about anything he wants, and plenty of people he can call to talk to"

Comment

Awesome info thank you.

Comment

I live in llano and can hit the repeaters all over the hill country. I can pretty much reach all of the hill country with 2 meter. Out in the big bend region I can talk to people from El Paso to ft Stockton pretty regular.

Comment

Your dad is your best resource on this. Yes parts of the exam changes ever so often and technology is changing every single day but the fundamentals are the same.

Micheal

Comment

Shtf

If it is just for SHTF, just buy the radios and don't worry about the license(s). When/If it hits the fan, there will not be anyone to enforce license or proper radio etiquette.

If you want to get the proper license the get "now you're talking" book. It's interesting and I got my license after the freeze. Unless you know other people with radios it gets boring. Probably get some hate for saying its boring, but you can only talk about the weather so much.

Comment

I would find some local guys. The older ones love nothing more than to share their knowledge on it. Most will go out of their way to help you learn as much as you want

Comment

Lots of old threads on Ham on TBH and a whole freaking forum for comms here:

Info and Discussion on HAM Radio, CB's and other forums of communication now and after SHTF

Comment

Working...
                    X