Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s the purpose for the cable suspended above the Red River?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, HYDRO.

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
      There is a cable car over on the Texas side, now why it’s there, I can’t tell you because I’ve never asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Thank you.

Originally posted by HYDRO_69 View Post
      It’s a USGS cableway. Actually that one now belongs to the COE. In the old days as mentioned it was used to measure stage and discharge. Water quality samples for different constituents could be obtained as well. There used to be a lot of them but they are being removed due to age and safety concerns. Bridges and boats are being used these days in most cases.
      Thank you.

Comment

I fished thousands of hours on THE WALL there back in the 80's in it's hayday. The cable nearest the dam connected to the wall, s the no trespass cable. This one is down a little ways near the old bait store in the parking lot. Watched them back then take cart to bottom and measure. And they don't leave the cart there because um like said above of being used by teenagers. The top cable when you hooked a monster striper, you had to open your bail drop your line and run down the hill to get under the cable and tighten your line after and fight them again. Largest I ever caught was a 29 lber on a pencil popper. Had some you could never turn out of the white water and they would smoke your reel. Those were some good ol days.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
          I fished thousands of hours on THE WALL there back in the 80's in it's hayday. The cable nearest the dam connected to the wall, s the no trespass cable. This one is down a little ways near the old bait store in the parking lot. Watched them back then take cart to bottom and measure. And they don't leave the cart there because um like said above of being used by teenagers. The top cable when you hooked a monster striper, you had to open your bail drop your line and run down the hill to get under the cable and tighten your line after and fight them again. Largest I ever caught was a 29 lber on a pencil popper. Had some you could never turn out of the white water and they would smoke your reel. Those were some good ol days.
          So that explains what the small concrete slab was for.

Comment

It’s for illegals, so they don’t get their feet wet. Duh !

Comment

It’s for illegals, so they don’t get their feet wet. Duh !

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                Thanks, HYDRO.
                Yes Sir! I've ridden on many of them during floods collecting data and now responsible for taking them out in many cases. Some of them we are making bank operated with remote controls to keep our staff safer. The historical perspective on these cableways is very interesting. We have them on remote ranches in Texas. During previous floods the locals used them to move food, supplies and family across the creeks and rivers. I had to retrieve them from the middle of the rivers over the years as the kids rode them and used them for diving boards. The car that hangs below the main cable can make things interesting during floods when you hang a tree in 10-20 foot per second velocities. We carried two pair of side cutters (in case you dropped one) to cut the sampling equipment loose when hung up on trees. Once you cut loose you better hang onto the side of the cablecar as it had a pretty good sling shot effect.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  Used to monitor river conditions. They usually have a cable car type thing suspended that folks got out to the middle of the river and lower various instruments to measure stream flow and sediment, etc.
                  This. I have one in my backyard to monitor the llano river

Comment

I have one of those on the farm that crosses over arroyo in floodway. We used to unlock it as kids and roll out across.
                    I used to believe it was to get an important person to the other side during a flood. They have measuring yardsticks so it makes sense its to measure water flow. My farm is where the floodway splits and the nicer homes in Harlingen are spared so they send Most of the floodwater north nowadays. Ive had a front row seat for the last 50 years. Mercedes farmers were blamed for blowing up the levee in the aftermath of Beula before my time in The RGV

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                      This. I have one in my backyard to monitor the llano river
                      Thank you! I've been on that one over the years many times. Lots of historic data has been obtained from that cableway. As you know , that river floats alot of debris during floods. Now I dunk a boat upstream of the dam when I can, otherwise its the cableway, unless the water is to high to get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
                        I have one of those on the farm that crosses over arroyo in floodway. We used to unlock it as kids and roll out across.
                        I used to believe it was to get an important person to the other side during a flood. They have measuring yardsticks so it makes sense its to measure water flow. My farm is where the floodway splits and the nicer homes in Harlingen are spared so they send Most of the floodwater north nowadays. Ive had a front row seat for the last 50 years. Mercedes farmers were blamed for blowing up the levee in the aftermath of Beula before my time in The RGV
                        Those cableways along the Rio Grande are owned and operated by the IBWC on the US side. I've been to that one and alot of the ones on the Rio.

Comment

That’s an interesting life, Hydro. I get the screen name now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            “Roscoe tried to miss’em, but he….didn’t quite..”

Love the song, but DANG that James McMurtry's a flaming liberal.

Comment

Working...
                            X