No announcement yet.

Which Nilgai NWR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, all the refuges with nilgai are very doable with a rifle. A rifle will shrink the refuge down compared to chasing them a bow

And points don't matter in texas draw system really. I have drawn more hunts with 1 or 2 points. I have several categories with 8 points and I don't expect to draw them at all. Its all luck in texas.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
      Honestly, all the refuges with nilgai are very doable with a rifle. A rifle will shrink the refuge down compared to chasing them a bow

And points don't matter in texas draw system really. I have drawn more hunts with 1 or 2 points. I have several categories with 8 points and I don't expect to draw them at all. Its all luck in texas.
      I think the cubing of points is certainly changing the value of them. I spoke with two WMA hunt directors who have said they have a more defined point average it takes to draw their hunts now with the cubing.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
        I think the cubing of points is certainly changing the value of them. I spoke with two WMA hunt directors who have said they have a more defined point average it takes to draw their hunts now with the cubing.
        Which ones are they so I can apply there . I kinda feel the cubing helped but I m not getting drawn in my high point categories like many others.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
          what is it ? Did they say?

Comment

with the cubed system the average number of points is going to be consistently much higher than before. In the past a few outliers who got lucky could swing the average significantly from year to year on many hunts where they don't have huge numbers of hunters. Now that's much less likely to happen. Instead of the average being closer to the middle of the points range, it's going to be much closer to the high end of the points range.

I'm sure the WMA staff actually love this bc it means they are getting a much more experience group of hunters in each hunt which hypothetically should lead to fewer issues, less babysitting, fewer wounded animals, etc.

In the past, a guy with 20 points was 10x more likely to draw than a guy with 2 points. Sounds like a lot at first but now the guy with 20 years of points has 1000x more chances(8000 points) to draw that same hunt than the guy in his 2nd year(8 points) applying. In the past the average number of points for a hunt may have been 10 or so, but the point of the cubed points is to skew that number as far as possible to the right to reward the guys who have been applying the longest.

To me it seems like it skews it so far it discourages any newcomers from applying (if they actually understand how the system now works) bc your odds of drawing now are hundreds of times less likely than they were 2 years ago when you are just getting started. Personally I've reduced the amount I spend on applying for these hunts by 75% and I'm spending that on an Oklahoma license to go hunt up there.

Comment

I've been thinking about doing a nilai hunt. This just might be the ticket! Or several tickets.

Comment

it is not a walk in the park, they are tough hunts. Physically demanding.

Comment

That is my understanding, D. Course, where I've been going for the last XX number of years, at will, ain't no park hunt . Never hurts to take a younger back along with me as well, when I can .

I've been prep-n for this year.

Comment

LRGV Playa del Sol, Laguna Atascosa, LRGV East Lake in that order. I've hunted all Three NWR's. Hope to get picked this year again. Good Luck, wish you all success.

Comment

Since when is the only NWR Archery Exotic hunt TPWD offers the Bahia Grande Unit?

Also, didn't they offer a regular exotic archery draw last year? When is the new guy gonna start running TPWD. Let's all keep praying he's a bowhunter.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post

I agree about the point system. It does not apply here. It is just the luck of the draw.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn’t be buying my plane ticket just yet. There were 4346 applicants for 25 spots at LANWR last year. I’m willing to bet most are max point holders too so your odds are pretty slim.

Comment

Originally posted by jbw899 View Post
                            I wouldn’t be buying my plane ticket just yet. There were 4346 applicants for 25 spots at LANWR last year. I’m willing to bet most are max point holders too so your odds are pretty slim.
                            I put in every year, and we never draw, I have drawn NM elk before I have anything in Texas. 7 years no draws here, 2 and I pulled an elk. 10 and not a single tag in Alaska. This year just feels like my year.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                              I don't believe in the point system for Lanwr. I have been putting in for over twenty years and have never been selected for the rifle hunts and there are other hunters that put in for it only once and get picked. But good luck to all that get selected.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk
                              I can't even draw the archery hunts. LOL.... I'd have to look to see exactly how many points I have but I've been putting in for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredmartin View Post
                                I put in every year, and we never draw, I have drawn NM elk before I have anything in Texas. 7 years no draws here, 2 and I pulled an elk. 10 and not a single tag in Alaska. This year just feels like my year.
                                Best of luck, hope you get drawn! If you do, let me know. I’ve hunted LANWR four times and could point you in the right direction. I put in for almost every Texas hunt category, usually multiple hunts in each. I usually get drawn for one or two Texas hunts a year, a mostly hunts with higher odds. I’m also putting in out of state. It can get expensive but you can’t get drawn if you don’t put in.

Comment

Working...
                                X