No announcement yet.

Should I buy a new truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad always said if its paid off and you have to fix something every year, its still cheaper than that payment for the year... That being said I like having 2 paid off trucks.. Now they might not be new (2004 & 2012), I don't buy new, but they both serve a purpose and I get to switch it up every once and a while. The '04 is a 5.3 Silverado Z71 (173k) and the 2012 is a deleted Duramax LTZ Z71 (214k), so one does the work the other has the fun.. I can comfortably work on either truck until it gets to anything with the computer. I've always told my son to drive his little Toyota until the wheels fall off, even though he plans to get a "newer" diesel.

Honestly, do what you want and what will make you happy!

Comment

68 rfe rebuild kit is $300ish bucks, pending what all needs to be replaced, so guessing 3-4k for a complete rebuild.

Tires, see smoking deals on here.

60k truck with zero percent for 6 years is $800ish a month without down payment.

I myself fight with wants and needs, its the American way to finance everything.

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
      I have a 2011 Ram 2500 with 196k on it.
      I just had $600 in repairs done on it a month ago
      My check engine light it on now for something with the egr(its deleted so im not worried)
      And im about to have to put a new transmission in it
      On top of that I need a new set of tires.

So, spend $6,000-$7,000 in hopes of it making it another few years or spend $60,000 and be good for the next several yrs?
      Last edited by bbqfan5909; 06-02-2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        It is hard to answer your question not knowing what overall condition the truck is in. Some trucks that age have been taken care of and would be well worth fixing. Some are in horrible condition overall and these repairs would only be the tip of the iceburg
        Yep. I've had some trucks I would feel comfortable driving past 200k (which I have) and others I wouldn't trust to get to walmart and back.

Comment

I put it off for many many years.... Finally bit the bullet and bought a new one. I don't think I will keep another one past 3 or so years. I put too many miles on them.

Comment

I appreciate all the advice.
            I like the truck and prefer to keep it but I dont wanna keep it if its gonna continue to be a money pit. I would likely buy used if I had to get a new one and I could find the truck I wanted. Im at a point in my life where I dont want bare bones and prefer a little more luxury in my truck. I dont have to have a limited laramie but I wouldnt want a tradesmen. Im using dodge for example. I would drive a ford too.

Its at the shop right now and they are going to give me a call once the diagnose it and let me know the verdict. It did throw a code yest after my original post and it was a pressure sensor so my fingers crossed that is what the problem is.

I own a diesel for multiple reasons and will not be purchasing a gas rig anytime soon.

Now, if i could get this dang egr sensor figured out(a constant code its been throwing over the last few days)

Comment

Being you dont have EGR anymore, get a tune to remove the code at diesel shop.

I appreciate all the advice.
              I like the truck and prefer to keep it but I dont wanna keep it if its gonna continue to be a money pit. I would likely buy used if I had to get a new one and I could find the truck I wanted. Im at a point in my life where I dont want bare bones and prefer a little more luxury in my truck. I dont have to have a limited laramie but I wouldnt want a tradesmen. Im using dodge for example. I would drive a ford too.

Its at the shop right now and they are going to give me a call once the diagnose it and let me know the verdict. It did throw a code yest after my original post and it was a pressure sensor so my fingers crossed that is what the problem is.

I own a diesel for multiple reasons and will not be purchasing a gas rig anytime soon.

Now, if i could get this dang egr sensor figured out(a constant code its been throwing over the last few days)

Comment

Who wants to drive a POS that they have to worry about all the time breaking down? Life is too short for that.

Comment

That is a tough decision. That is a lot of money to get it back running. If it were me, and it was free and clear, I would get rid of it. You may have to take a loss on it. IMHO, I think you will continue to put money into it. It is 9 years old with almost 200k miles. I would hate to put that much money, in repairs, and then a few months later something else breaks. Tranny's aren't cheap. I think you can find used trucks, 2 to 3 years old with less miles for way under 60k. Remember, brand new vehicles have a very high depreciation rate once you sign and drive them off the lot. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Comment

Does it need a “new” transmission? Have you got quotes from a couple repair shops? If the old trans is fixable, and you don’t mind buying off-brand tires to get you a couple more years down the road, you might be able to keep the truck rolling for less $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                      Who wants to drive a POS that they have to worry about all the time breaking down? Life is too short for that.

I did- no car payments, saved money, didn’t go on expensive vacations and was able to retire at 63.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From a pure financial perspective it makes more sense to put $6K into the old truck and drive it a few more years. Seriously, a 2011 with 196K miles? That's not crazy mileage even for a gasser these days. The truck is not even 10 years old yet.

Assume a new truck note in round figures is $1K per month. That's $12K per year and $36K at the end of 3 years. Even if you put $10K into the old truck over the next 3 years, you are better off and have spent much less out of pocket than a new truck note would have been. Heck, even at the 2 year mark, you are still a lot better off.

If the truck in question were a few years older, my opinion might be different.

Comment

No
                          Buy two

Comment

Just spoke with the boys down at the shop....Looks like it was just a pressure sensor, just like the code it threw(fingers crossed). They will have the part tomorrow morning and they will install it and make sure that is all that is was. As long as that is it, we are only talking a couple hundred dollars.
                            Im so relieved at this point, yall don't understand!

I paid this truck off and it is the 1st paid off vehicle that I have ever had. Since then, I have been paying off other debts left and right. Literally, last Thursday I was debt free with the exception of my house and my CanAM(that I just bought last month @ 0%).
                            The truck started acting up on Friday. Cant make this up!

So now, Im gonna start saving as much $ as possible(although I do a pretty good job of that already).

Comment

Just spoke with the boys down at the shop....Looks like it was just a pressure sensor, just like the code it threw(fingers crossed). They will have the part tomorrow morning and they will install it and make sure that is all that is was. As long as that is it, we are only talking a couple hundred dollars.
                              Im so relieved at this point, yall don't understand!

I paid this truck off and it is the 1st paid off vehicle that I have ever had. Since then, I have been paying off other debts left and right. Literally, last Thursday I was debt free with the exception of my house and my CanAM(that I just bought last month @ 0%).
                              The truck started acting up on Friday. Cant make this up!

So now, Im gonna start saving as much $ as possible(although I do a pretty good job of that already).
                              Keep heading down that path your future self will love you for it. Like others have said continue making a truck payment into your account and use it to keep the current ride rolling down the road. Mileage is not as much of a worry these days. No reason any modern automobile should not reach north of 500K or beyond.

Comment

Yes, be thankful a Dodge lasted you this long [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X