Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can using a right hand rifle be dangerous for a lefty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm left eye dominant and have always owned/shot right handed rifles since I was a kid and thats what I'm used to. I never thought anything of it until I read an article about how it could be dangerous shooting a right hand rifle left handed. This theory was based on if there was a malfunction "explosion" the lefties face would be more exposed on the bullet ejection side of the rifle vs a righty. I'm about to buy a new rifle and this is now playing a factor into my decision. Is there any truth to this? I would prefer to stick with a right handed rifle....but I also look like Brad Pitt and don't want to damage my complexion.

Can it be dangerous? Sure. Far less dangerous than many things most of us do on a daily basis though.

Buy a lefty because working a lefty bolt as a lefty shooter is cleaner movement wise.

Comment

well... what are the odds of an explosion? how many rounds ar fired vs. a malfunction that causes damage...

I am the same as you. Left eye dominant. I shoot a rifle left handed, a bow right handed. None of my guns are left handed guns. I think a rifle malfunction is real low on my concern list.

I have an old savage 30-06 right handed action with a left handed Boyd's thumhole stock. shoots great.

Comment

I am lefty and have never shot a left hand rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ktex View Post
          I'm left eye dominant and have always owned/shot right handed rifles since I was a kid and thats what I'm used to. I never thought anything of it until I read an article about how it could be dangerous shooting a right hand rifle left handed. This theory was based on if there was a malfunction "explosion" the lefties face would be more exposed on the bullet ejection side of the rifle vs a righty. I'm about to buy a new rifle and this is now playing a factor into my decision. Is there any truth to this? I would prefer to stick with a right handed rifle....but I also look like Brad Pitt and don't want to damage my complexion.
          Like you, I am left eye dominant. I have been shooting right handed rifles all my life, tried to go to a lefty and I couldn't work the bolt fluidly. Never thought about malfunction. If its a problem for you, go with a lefty

Comment

The only issues I've experienced is every once in a while I'll feel something pepper my face from an automatic anything. Shotgun or AR. I've considered going to a lefty upper for my AR, but just haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

Good luck.

Comment

Im sure if something goes that wrong it won’t matter how youre holding that gun. I too shoot left handed but shoot right handed rifles and have no intention in buying a left handed rifle. Unless you just want a left handed gun, I wouldnt let that article sway you one way or the other. Just get what you want.

I do recommend left handed semi auto for sake of powder in the face and noise. Shooting an a right handed ar left handed about made me def in my right ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Get a belt so hot brass doesn’t go down your pants

Comment

You’re more likely to be suicided by a Clinton.

Comment

Lefty here too....Lefty bolt rifles and righty eject shotguns....however, i have shot a LOT of righty bolt actions and other than the cheek piece (or lack thereof) and righty eject I've never noticed any substantive difference....a shot or two to adjust and it's all breath, aim, lock down, and squeeze....you're good to go IMOP...

Comment

Originally posted by ktex View Post

I’ve heard this is a thing. One of the guys from MeatEater shot an opposite handed gun that exploded and shot debris into his face

Comment

Buy a single shot or a top eject lever gun

Comment

Hmmm..... I’ve seen a LOT of rifles being shot and have yet to see one explode. It can’t be that much of an issue.

Comment

Been shooting all kinds of long guns left handed but never a left handed one. Feels weird to me after growing up that way. Only thing I’ve ever experienced is a little in burnt powder on cheek or right arm from a semi auto.

Comment

It's a non issue, many competition rifles are right hand left port or left hand right port. An auto I might see a problem with brass, gas and whatnot.

Comment

Working...
                              X