Ag exemption question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ag exemption question

If I’m about to buy a place that is currently ag exempt what do I need to do to maintain that exemption ?

probably need to talk to the county..county appraisal folks

Comment

You will have to re-apply with the county since it is changing ownership. Then just have proof of ag related activities pertaining to your exemption, ie. wildlife, native pasture, orchard, etc. When you get it bought just go t the appraisal district and they will get uou lined out.

Comment

Call the county before you buy and ask if the property is in good standing with their Ag status. And ask what you need to do.

At the end of the phone call ask for the persons email to get in writing... So you can sleep good at night. In most counties it's super easy, maybe even nothing.

Comment

Every county is different. I know Fayette county is 3 animal units and Bastrop is 7 animal units. An animal unit is an animal that weighs 1000 lbs (or more), or say 5 200 lb animals make up 1 1,000 lb unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_jane View Post
            Every county is different. I know Fayette county is 3 animal units and Bastrop is 7 animal units. An animal unit is an animal that weighs 1000 lbs (or more), or say 5 200 lb animals make up 1 1,000 lb unit.
            Do they not do an Ag Exemption for bees? That would be a lot of bees!!

Comment

The easiest one to apply for and maintain is hay/timber. That way you don't have to hassle with livestock.

Comment

Originally posted by dhillis View Post
                Do they not do an Ag Exemption for bees? That would be a lot of bees!!
                I believe they do but it isn't through the AU and intensity route. It may be a certain amount of hives on the place and not just hives but something you are actually selling such as the honey.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_jane View Post
                  3 animal units per how many acres?

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
                    3 animal units per how many acres?

Thats a good question. In Austin County its 5-1000# animals for our 20 acres. Call your county office and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Great advice and tips thank you all I got all my questions answered gonna make an offer on the place. Thank you all again

Comment

Good Luck on getting the place!

Comment

They do bees, but you have to sell honey and keep track of your sales etc...

Comment

Easiest would be to maintain what the previous property owner is doing. Get it in email and get on it quick

Comment

In Mills county we had to get records from the previous owner as to his number of livestock for the previous 2 are 3 years. It was a pain in the butt. I'm sure different county different rules. This was in 2014.

Comment

Working...
                              X