whitetail hunting with 300 BO subsonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whitetail hunting with 300 BO subsonic

Anyone deer hunt with 300 blackout bolt action rifle with subsonic ammo? Is it good out to 100 yards?

yep. pushes right on through

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      is it pretty quiet?

Comment

I’ve killed 100ish pound pigs at 70ish yards and under with Hornady 190 Sub-x. Even 1 coyote at about 125 with it. It will work but doubt blood trails will be all that great as the round does expand, just not a lot. Did go all the way through on the pigs hit behind the shoulders, but not on shoulder shots. Couple ran off but the ones I looked for I did find. Unless you just need it to be quiet full power will be much better and there isn’t much recoil difference if that’s a concern. My 6 year old shoots both.

Comment

I killed a spike with it last year and it dropped in it's tracks. It was about 50 yds. But with that being said, I would only use for does and spikes. If I was in a situation where I might be shooting at a trophy buck, I would much rather have a supersonic in the chamber. Subs have just so little power. And I am even reloading my subs with Makers, which do a great job of expanding. But I anticipate that when deer/hog hunting with my 300 bo, I plan on using the Barnes 110 gr. TacTX loaded supersonic.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            What ammo are you shooting Glen? Is the bullet expanding and are you seeing any sort of blood trail?

Comment

what is the difference in the sound between the subs and the supers? I have about 7 other calibers in the safe to choose from if it is going to make just as much noise.

Comment

Are you shooting suppressed with the blackout? If so, it is quite a bit quieter . Suppressed blackout supers are very effective and fairly quiet.

Comment

I have a 308 Remington Bolt action with a silencerCo Omega. I’ve killed deer to 130 yards with Beck ammo Expanding bullets. Stupid quiet with the bolt action. Shot two deer in the lungs and the rest in the neck. Lung hits run like shot with an arrow. Neck shots drop like a rock.

Comment

The 308 and 300 BO subsonic are identical in performance. 308 supers sound like a 22magnum unsuppresed with my 16.5” barrel

Comment

Lots of stories on the internet about lost deer with 300 subsonics. It just doesn't quite have the expansion/energy and a lot of companies load them well below subsonic so they are as quiet as possible. I would recommend a minimum of a 38 caliber/ 180 grn expanding pistol bullet if attempting to hunt subsonic and preferably something in the 44/45 caliber size with a 300+ grain bullet.

Here's a project I worked on for this season. Been happy with the results so far.

Was able to get some stuff done today. First try was the trailboss just to see how it went. 8 grns is considered a full load by Hodgdon. It was Hollywood quiet. Not much different than a suppressed 22. It only gave 616 fps. While fun, it was time to move on obviously. With titegroup, I got up to...

Comment

They do not leave you much room for error with shot placement. But if you do your part they will also. Shot a lot of animals with them. I really like to limit my shots to 100 yds.

I also use a mil dot scope and can accurately shoot subs and supers with the same scope. Which is cool if I want to pop a hog but not ruin my deer hunt etc.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
                          what is the difference in the sound between the subs and the supers? I have about 7 other calibers in the safe to choose from if it is going to make just as much noise.
                          Sounds like a pellet gun out of a suppressor, a lot quieter than supersonic.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

I wouldn’t shoot past 50 yards with subs, ideally 30 yards max. I’ve been doing a lot of testing with the 190 sub x, and 208 hornady black amazing. Actually today at 50 yards with the 208’s I couldn’t shoot through 5/8ths osb. I was definitely surprised and disappointed. No way am I going to hunt with a bullet that won’t penetrate osb. I shot 3 does last year from 30-80 with the 190 sub x’s all behind the shoulder and only got one pass through on the 30 yard shot. The 60 and 80 yard didn’t exit and both ran 50+ yards with not so great blood trails.

This year I’m shooting the 110 grain Barnes tac-tx. It’s loud even suppressed, but it’s got the speed and KE, to hopefully knock down a deer or at least get a pass through.

I’d compare the subs to shooting a bow with 35-40lb limbs with a field point I’m my experience. I’ll shoot subs to max 40 yards and it’s going to either be a neck or head shot.

Jason Slocum

Comment

Working...
                              X