Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on some cows

Green Screen,

I need some help/advice with selling a couple of cows. My sister her husband own these two heifers and mainly have them as pets. Long story short, my sister got the cows in the divorce. She's selling her house and her property and the cows must go.

I don't know much about them, but do know this. The mother was full-blooded Texas Longhorn. Not sure about the father. They are 4 and 7 years old. Healthy and big. One guy came to look at them and said they were too big to be breeding cows.

A guy came by and offered $500 for the pair, but that sounded low to me.

I know there are a lot of variables, but we know next to nothing. She's a full-time nurse and is overwhelmed with everything going on. I just want to make sure she's not taken advantage of.

Thanks.

Just hall them to the closest sale barn and you will get market rate. If they are not registered longhorns they aren't going to bring much. Yes $500 is too cheap.

Comment

Post them in the classifieds and we can have ourselves a cattle auction. Best bet would be the closest sale barn to you but if you don't have access to a trailer then classifieds might be your best bet.

Comment

Did the husband want them?

Comment

Sale barn. Quick and easy as mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
            Did the husband want them?
            No sir.

Comment

Hey Jon, where is this property/cattle located?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Hey Jon, where is this property/cattle located?
                Hey Charlie, League City.

Comment

As mentioned, take them to sale barn. If no means to haul them, call the sale barn to get someone to catch and haul them for her.

Comment

Another thought if no trailer is just ask TBH.... I am sure someone would help with a trailer and haul them to the barn, as long as they can be loaded easy. I'm too far to be of any help on that though.

Comment

Post pictures here.
                      $500 for the pair is low low baller price.
                      $500 each would still be cheap. They would sell really quick at that price

Private sales will usually bring a little more than the sale barn. You get what you get at an auction. Not always "market price". Depends who's bidding......

Comment

I’d probably take the $500. A 4 and a 7 year old dry longhorn cow is worth about as much as you think you can get for the horns on their head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

Pictures. I see Longhorns and Longhorns cross sell pretty cheap in the auction ring. Probably bring about 30 cents a lb and be served at McDonald's in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                              I’d probably take the $500. A 4 and a 7 year old dry longhorn cow is worth about as much as you think you can get for the horns on their head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              This. Or maybe counter to $600. The extra $$ you might get at the sale barn isn't worth the effort.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X