2019 Austin/Fayette/Washington Counties Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
    They are probably headed back to their spring-summer areas to recover and shed. Time to start over. Several of our regulars have shown up over the last few weeks. Hopefully more show up before they drop horns. Mature deer are all busted up. But still alive!!!! Hope a couple of them pop this year.
    Yep. Luckily most of our buck action was during hunting season. I guess that's a lot better than watching them all summer and having them disappear once bow season comes around

Comment

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
      Yep. Luckily most of our buck action was during hunting season. I guess that's a lot better than watching them all summer and having them disappear once bow season comes around
      You got that right. Most of our middle aged and mature bucks are gone by mid November. Luckily a few stick around.

Comment

Small, low fence property. I want to have a set of standards (4.5+) that will allow me to actually kill something
        I hunt small low fence property, and killed 2 over 150 at 5.5

You can make a justification, but it is possible and I promise I have more neighbors then you

Comment

I have held off on this thread for a long time, I wish it would go away. I have hunted one of these counties since I was 8 years old, this was my 32nd season on the same piece of property. In my 32 years of hunting here I have seen the bottom of what it has to offer and I have seen the best it had to offer. The best was about 6 or 7 years ago. The internet and threads like this is why it will never be that good again.

If you have the opportunity to hunt in the area you are most likely local or know somebody local. Leases in this area are extremely hard to come by. If you are one of the lucky ones to hunt here I would like to ask you to refrain from spreading the word about the quality of deer we have. You will never see me post details of what county or town I hunt in, we don't need more neighbors inviting their 4th cousin out to shoot the first 13" 10pt they see.

Comment

I hate this thread too. Wish mods would step in.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
              I have held off on this thread for a long time, I wish it would go away. I have hunted one of these counties since I was 8 years old, this was my 32nd season on the same piece of property. In my 32 years of hunting here I have seen the bottom of what it has to offer and I have seen the best it had to offer. The best was about 6 or 7 years ago. The internet and threads like this is why it will never be that good again.

If you have the opportunity to hunt in the area you are most likely local or know somebody local. Leases in this area are extremely hard to come by. If you are one of the lucky ones to hunt here I would like to ask you to refrain from spreading the word about the quality of deer we have. You will never see me post details of what county or town I hunt in, we don't need more neighbors inviting their 4th cousin out to shoot the first 13" 10pt they see.
              x2!

Those cousins and such are already on alot of these places.

Got to try to contact them and explain the management. it does work

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                I hunt small low fence property, and killed 2 over 150 at 5.5

You can make a justification, but it is possible and I promise I have more neighbors then you
                I agree that it can be done, but in most instances it's not a very realistic goal (at least to me). I can count on one hand the number of 4.5+ year old deer I've either seen in person or killed on the properties I've hunted (typically small, low fence properties). With that being said, anything 4.5+ on an "average joe" piece of property is a trophy to me. It's not the "premium" antler growth age, but that's not what I'm after.

Comment

but in most instances it's not a very realistic goal (at least to me). anything 4.5+ on an "average joe" piece of property is a trophy to me. It's not the "premium" antler growth age, but that's not what I'm after.

Well you said it best, IF you are looking for an average place and a meat hunt then don't worry about horns

Again I hunt small acreage under 100 acres, with alot of neighbors.

12 years ago a 115 was a good buck. Then I shot a 135+. Then the standard was raised, and I won't shot under a 135 unless its a cull. And now I won't shoot a trophy unless he is 5.5

I have then shot 2 over 152, all small acreage since then. So it is possible IF you want to do it

Comment

It's definately happening down there since the antler rules changed, trophy quality is so different from what it was in the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      [/B]

Well you said it best, IF you are looking for an average place and a meat hunt then don't worry about horns

Again I hunt small acreage under 100 acres, with alot of neighbors.

12 years ago a 115 was a good buck. Then I shot a 135+. Then the standard was raised, and I won't shot under a 135 unless its a cull. And now I won't shoot a trophy unless he is 5.5

I have then shot 2 over 152, all small acreage since then. So it is possible IF you want to do it
                      Right. And what I mean by an average place is the kind of properties the average guy can afford (our place is under 25 acres). We're not into protein feeding and "growing" deer, but with that, we don't expect to kill a 140" deer either. Whatever a nice deer for the area is that's living off natural browse is what we consider to be "big". Like I said, a 4.5 year old deer is a trophy for me, whether it's 100" or 150".

Comment

Still looking for a place to run some cattle on, in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Saw quite a bit of fresh hog damage when we stopped by the property Saturday evening Hopefully it's because it's been cool & wet and not because they're multiplying in the area.

Comment

Saw quite a bit of fresh hog damage when we stopped by the property Saturday evening Hopefully it's because it's been cool & wet and not because they're multiplying in the area.
                            If they are in you’re area you can bet they are multiplying. Start trapping and killing ASAP!!!

Comment

Are you located closer to Cat Springs? Seems I see a few dead along the roadways every couple months the closer I get to there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They are multiplying, have several new litters on camera with momma! Have seen little ones in packs crossing the roads also.

Comment

Working...
                                X