Second Dwelling Unit Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First wall of the second floor went up yesterday.

Comment

Comment

very very impressive.

Comment

Four walls of the second story up today.

Comment

From the top.

Comment

Sir I’m not trying to be a negative Nancy. Just asking a question. Are you not setting those headers for the windows and other openings on a jack stud? I think some people call them trimmers too. Just wondering what’s holding up the headers over all your openings. I noticed the bottom floor looks odd as well.
              Last edited by Rubberdown; 07-05-2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                Right at $50

Yes. Curious why you ask.
                The framing is a tad unconventional, but conventional framing methods are overly conservative. This design is very solid and also efficient with materials and conscientious of making downstream work easier.
                Double top plates are an example of extra lumber thrown in just so the framer doesn’t have to think about where he lands rafters. In this case the load paths are all direct from second to first floor because the spacing is all the same so there is no need for a double on top of the first floor walls. However the roof framing is 24” OC while the walls are 16”, so the second floor gets a double because rafters will land between studs. That and the fact that 92-5/8” studs are designed to produce an 8’ wall when paired with a double top plate— and drywall comes in 4’ wide sheets.

X2 on the framing comment. I’m not a builder or a framing carpenter.

Your opinion (which I respect) aside- aren’t there applicable codes?

Our builder told me he wasn’t building our house for ‘a’ earthquake. He was building for the ‘3d’ earthquake. Same for hurricanes, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

To answer the question above. He concedes it is “unconventional”.

Right at $50

Yes. Curious why you ask.
                  The framing is a tad unconventional, but conventional framing methods are overly conservative. This design is very solid and also efficient with materials and conscientious of making downstream work easier.
                  Double top plates are an example of extra lumber thrown in just so the framer doesn’t have to think about where he lands rafters. In this case the load paths are all direct from second to first floor because the spacing is all the same so there is no need for a double on top of the first floor walls. However the roof framing is 24” OC while the walls are 16”, so the second floor gets a double because rafters will land between studs. That and the fact that 92-5/8” studs are designed to produce an 8’ wall when paired with a double top plate— and drywall comes in 4’ wide sheets.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                    Sir I’m not trying to be a negative Nancy. Just asking a question. Are you not setting those headers for the windows and other openings on a jack stud? I think some people call them trimmers too. Just wondering what’s holding up the headers over all your openings. I noticed the bottom floor looks odd as well.

Yes jacks coming for sure. We ran short on timber (didn’t account for all the braces) and I have to finish a few things including the jacks and bottoms of the rough openings before these walls are done.
                    The thing you probably think looks odd is that the headers run past the jack to the next full stud instead of stopping at a king stud set next to the jack. This makes the wall stiffer, reduces a tad of material, and keeps the spacing all even so every full sheet of sheathing lands exactly where it is supposed to. I’m happy to talk about it— the more specific the better. “Looks odd” doesn’t tell me anything. “Aren’t you going to use jacks” does.
                    Conventional framing is “designed” so as not to need design. It is super conservative. There is so much extra material just so framers and inspectors don’t have to think/check too much.
                    Also, all these walls are glued to 15/32 RTD plywood sheathing. Super stout.
                    Last edited by meltingfeather; 07-05-2020, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      X2 on the framing comment. I’m not a builder or a framing carpenter.

Your opinion (which I respect) aside- aren’t there applicable codes?

Our builder told me he wasn’t building our house for ‘a’ earthquake. He was building for the ‘3d’ earthquake. Same for hurricanes, etc.

Yes there are codes and this frame meets or beats them all.
                      I was wondering what specifically someone saw in the picture that made them ask about the framing. I’m always glad for another pair of eyes or perspective I can learn from. I’ve built a few buildings and studied structures and codes plenty, but there’s always room for improvement.

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Yes there are codes and this frame meets or beats them all.
                          I was wondering what specifically someone saw in the picture that made them ask about the framing. I’m always glad for another pair of eyes or perspective I can learn from. I’ve built a few buildings and studied structures and codes plenty, but there’s always room for improvement.

Are there permits/ building inspections where you are? Just curious.

Comment

FYI the framing plans for this structure are sealed by an engineer, which is a requirement of the Austin review process no matter how much extra material someone wants to use.

Another reason for reducing extra unnecessary framing is to help with energy efficiency by cutting down the heat bridging that 2x4s conduct through the wall. A solid wood wall of stacked 2x4s would be stiff and stout and expensive, and would also pass heat through pretty handily.

Comment

The design of this building took into account all the systems, which is unusual in the building development process. Normally the architect says, “ I want a window here” and an engineer figures out how to make it happen even though moving the window two inches would solve a lot of problems.
                              The windows, doors, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc. we’re all picked and placed knowing exactly where each framing member was going to be to avoid conflicts.
                              It’s always driven me nuts to watch something get built and see stupid work arounds that didn’t have to happen if there was integrated design and people didn’t get in the way of information sharing.

Comment

Another design intent I was reminded of when I saw it this morning— this is the entire waste pile from better than 1,200 board feet of first floor framing.
                                Carpenter's version of a Mic drop...great job OP, always love these build threads...besides it looks good from my house

Comment

Working...
                                X