Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First on the scene of an accident today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen my share of dead people, young ones stick with me the longest

Comment

Fortunately, it gets a little easier after the first few. The first couple are really tough, after those, it won’t bother you so much anymore. I still remember the first few twenty years later. The rest are all blurred together unless you think about specific things on scene.

Comment

Everyone , and I mean everyone will deal with it differently. And every time is different. The call, the situation, the victim will change how you react to it. I have had quite a few calls on shift. I can still remember most. Especially the first ones in my career. Sometimes the details are just imprinted in your mind. Keep moving and keep busy. Get in your shop and make some knives. Make a new one, challenge yourself with a new design that you have never tried. I won't tell you not to have a drink because I do and it helps me. I enjoy a whiskey while doing things in the shop but just one. I do not tie one on as that won't help. Process what you have gone through and then find someone to talk to about it. There are programs with professionals. There are friends and family.

We usually talk about it when we get back on the truck and I try to feel out how all my crew is doing. They know I am always there to talk or can point them in the direction of someone else if they would rather talk to someone else. And then I check up on them at a later time to see how they are doing.

PM me and we can talk anytime. Sometimes talking to a stranger is easier than someone you know. God bless and I will say a prayer for you going through this.

Comment

Dangit.

Several years ago I was coming out of a lease pasture and had my life flash before my eyes as a train came blowing by just as I looked to see if one was coming! That will set you straight quick.

This crossing was back in the woods, and has no lights or crossing arms.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Prayers up to you and the family involved... Prayers for the train crew that has to deal with the death as well. I know all to well what its like and the shoes you are in right now. I been the one running a train when cars don't stop at crossings its a bad deal for all involved. Its a memory that will stick with you for a long time. I remember mine like it was this morning time, date, mile post on the track, and kind of truck along with color. Its a day ill never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
              Dangit.

Several years ago I was coming out of a lease pasture and had my life flash before my eyes as a train came blowing by just as I looked to see if one was coming! That will set you straight quick.

This crossing was back in the woods, and has no lights or crossing arms.

This was pretty well the same scenario...the guy was coming out of a private gate just on the other side of the track. It wasn't a true railroad crossing with all the signals and crossing arms, it was a private drive

Comment

Originally posted by coachk View Post
                thanks guys, i appreciate the support... this post was kind of a way for me to let it out and get it off my chest a little bit...and i'm not much of a drinker, so that was more tongue in cheek. i talked to my wife a bit about it minus the gory details and told my 16 year old daughter to really be careful driving...but you said it DapperDan! It always was, always is and always will be in God's hands...thank you, i needed to hear that!!

You’re welcome sir. And my ear is always open if you need to talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When it's time to go nothing on this planet will keep you from going.
                  If God says you staying your staying.
                  Trust in what His Son did, paid our sin debt, for your eternity, salvation is by faith not of works. Trust this was that mans time.

There are way worse things than a quick death, this man may have been saved from horrible pain. It is hard to see.

Comment

I'm just learning about emdr and it could be an option.

Seeing people like that is all I do. Everyone deals with it differently. It doesn't seem to bother me anymore

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                      Seen my share of dead people, young ones stick with me the longest
                      Yep, still remember every one of the runs where young uns were lost.

Some great advice from folks, you can't keep this stuff hemmed up, gotta talk it off and get it processed. When it pops up, send off a lil prayer for that family. Take it as a bit of a blessing-good Lord put you and those other folks there that were ready to jump out and help without hesitation in case it wasn't that man's time. In a lot of cases you just have pinheads that just jump out to video.
                      Good on y'all for being there amigo.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                        Yep, still remember every one of the runs where young uns were lost.

Some great advice from folks, you can't keep this stuff hemmed up, gotta talk it off and get it processed. When it pops up, send off a lil prayer for that family. Take it as a bit of a blessing-good Lord put you and those other folks there that were ready to jump out and help without hesitation in case it wasn't that man's time. In a lot of cases you just have pinheads that just jump out to video.
                        Good on y'all for being there amigo.
                        the other guy that stopped with me was pulling a big trailer behind his truck...he drove by right after it happened and had to go up a mile or so to turnaround and we both got there at the same time so there was quite a few cars that just kept on going before we got there...once we got down to it and we got him moved out of there, there were a few bystanders and one guy trying to keep the highway traffic under control. I couldn't believe how many people were just driving by and filming it as we waited

Comment

OUch………...I would also dread having to be the person in that boat. I have been first to at least 3 bad accidents but nobody died on the scene. It is rough enough just thinking someone might not make it. I hope you can get past it. YES, it is amazing and disappointing how many folks just drive on by.

Comment

Been on the scene of fatality accidents too many times and can still see the faces of those who didn't make it and even of those who did.

It doesn't haunt me but I do think about it now and then. You'll be fine...you did a good thing and that's what counts.

Comment

It's not easy and you never get used to it. After about 7 years as at a VFD doing fire rescue and EMS I had to give it up. It was the younger victims that got to me the most. They never had a life. Still think about some of the bad ones now and it's been 12 years.

Comment

Prayers... That's tough... And I don't mean just a little

Comment

Working...
                                X