Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC guys- questions on clearance around a compressor on our patio

Hello TBH (again).

We retired in SW Montana and went with central forced hot air and ac. I’m not sure of the BTUs, but sure keeps our 2,800 +/- house cool when the outside temp is in the mid 90s. In Montana. Imagine that.

The original plan was to pour a 4x4 concrete pad for the condensor and fan. Once we got in the house, before the pad was poured we changed our minds and had a really nice stamped concrete patio built, with a stone veneer wall. Now we’ll have a pretty patio/ entertainment/ bbq area with an ugly condenser and fan.

I’m looking at options.

The first is to build a screen on the 2 sides to block the view of the unit. Since the house is cedar board and batten, I think I have enough cedar boards and batten material left to build something to match the exterior, leaving the top open. TBD if the L-shaped screen will sit in place, or be secured to the concrete. Probably secured so the wind doesn’t blow it away.

Questions:

- If I built it ‘solid’ (with boards and battens with no lateral air flow) how many inches would I need to leave between the unit and the screen?

Would I need to raise the bottom 1-2” off the concrete to allow airflow from the bottom?

- Same question, but what if there were no batten strips? Then there would be boards with say a 2” spacing between them for airflow inwards on those 2 sides.

Same question on raising it.

- The compressor is 36” tall. Could I go 40” tall to help block seeing it- and leave the top open.

Or, will the ugly compressor turn into a giant wooden box and I’m better off spray painting the top of the housing and bottom bronze to match downspouts, sliding door and windows (with no paint on the compressor fins or fan) and learn to live with it?

The patio will be used the summer months, the same as the ac will run.

Thanks! God bless Texas. Let me know if you’re ip this way for Yellowstone, fishing or hunting in SW Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe code is at least 12” the whole way around it. You of course don’t want to block the top in any way, but you could built it taller then the unit. As far as air flow through the boards, I would think if you built it louvered ( like a return air grill) you would be fine. If you built it solid and left plenty between it and the house itself, you should be fine. Just remember to clean the coil a few times a summer, when boxed in like that it’s less more of a hassle so people don’t do it, and it plugs up the coil and starves it for air. By the way it looks better then the welding bottles, wheel burrow, and buckets setting there.lol.
    Last edited by critter69; 07-11-2021, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I would move it farther away because of the noise when your outside with guest.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
        I would move it farther away because of the noise when your outside with guest.
        With a view like his I'd never want to go inside!

Comment

It would cost a bit to move it.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
            Yep^^ No clue about Montana but in central Texas A/C guys can run them at least 50ft from the inside unit. All under ground.
            Last edited by doghouse; 07-11-2021, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              In the winter you would.

Comment

What- you don’t appreciate the Montana lawn art?

Thanks for the information. I just got into the house and started doing ‘Google Engineering’. 1-2 feet seems to be the common answer, or check manufacturer’s info- which I can’t find. I did find the model # on a back side.

Comment

That’s a 4 ton 48,000 BTU
                  Sent u a txt

Comment

Thank you. The view here is beyond anything I ever imagined I’d be able to retire experience. Guys drive from around the country to hunt elk within 10 miles of our house. I saw today I drew an archery antelope tag in this zone. When locals ask ‘how are you’ my answer is ‘living the dream’.

The corner of the house is where the crawl space stops. The wall 90 degrees to sliding door is the outside garage wall on a slab so we couldn’t relocated it. Or, I didn’t ask and try to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      Thank you. The view here is beyond anything I ever imagined I’d be able to retire experience. Guys drive from around the country to hunt elk within 10 miles of our house. I saw today I drew an archery antelope tag in this zone. When locals ask ‘how are you’ my answer is ‘living the dream’.

The corner of the house is where the crawl space stops. The wall 90 degrees to sliding door is the outside garage wall on a slab so we couldn’t relocated it. Or, I didn’t ask and try to.

That's great! Enjoy the cool weather and views! I'm jealous.

Comment

AC guys- questions on clearance around a compressor on our patio

I spoke to Airehead. Turns out we did a trade a few years ago for a 9 pound 1/24 scale Bugatti Veyon model milled from a billet of stainless steel for a beautiful Sarrels takedown recurve. It’s in my hunting room in the house. Thanks again brother.

He said figure 18” on the 2 sides and no higher than the unit.

I think I’ll paint the light grey parts to match the house- and call it good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          I spoke to Airehead. Turns out we did a trade a few years ago for a 9 pound 1/24 scale Bugatti Veyon model milled from a billet of stainless steel for a beautiful Sarrels takedown recurve. It’s in my hunting room in the house. Thanks again brother.

He said figure 18” on the 2 sides and no higher than the unit.

I think I’ll paint the light grey parts to match the house- and call it good.
                          Just measured mine. It was inspected 3 times by the city as it was being installed. 18 inches is the magic number. The exhaust side should be 3 feet from anything flamable. I melted some plastic last month with a 15 minute run........
                          Point the exhaust away from your house. If a neighbor complains hand them a powered extention cord...............

Comment

Exhaust side on mine is the top. Straight up to heaven.
                            Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X