Matagorda Rain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matagorda Rain?

I know there are a couple of TBH'rs in Matagorda. How much rain have yall received so far?

I have a trip planned for July 15th through the 20th and was wondering how all of this rain is effecting the river and bays.

A lot and it’s not a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I live in Matagorda; since Monday night we’ve gotten about 9-10 inches here in town
      River is muddy from local runoff and running about 2 knots
      Boggy is running fresh
      Lake Austin is running fresh
      Caney Creek is running fresh
      Winds blew out of East all day from 15-30knots
      East Bay was a mess with a super high tide
      Weather suppose to clear up next week after this low clears
      You should be good to go

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        A lot and it’s not a good thing.

Comment

A good friend of mine outside of Bay City who keeps track of rainfall told me he got 6" monday, 7" tuesday and 6" wed. They are calling for up to another 12" to come. Matagorda itself has not gotten near that much. Most of the storms blow up after it gets over land so the bulk of the rainfall is a little bit inland. But all that runoff is still coming our way. I fished yesterday afternoon and like Leemo said, every single marsh drain along the ICW is flowing like a river. Big Boggy was flowing so hard you could feel the boat get swept to the side as I ran by there. Live Oak bayou was flowing hard too. The Tres Palacios and Carancahua rivers and all the creeks over there are running. There is just a whole lot of fresh water headed out right now. Yesterday we started out with a ESE that switched around as the afternoon went on to a NE wind and the bay was ripped up by the time we got done. We still caught some reds and sand trout but the trout bite was dead. I did see slicking fish in a few areas but it is pretty typical in East Matagorda Bay that slicking fish don't necessarily mean feeding fish. Often times the slicks come after the feed is over and we may well have just missed the bite when we got out there yesterday afternoon.

The good news is there will still be saltwater to fish. The fish won't be in all the same places as they were last week. We may all be crammed into the same areas. The wind may be a problem if it doesn't let us fish the areas the fish moved to. You may not be able to just go to your favorite old July spot and get 'em. But there will be fish caught. You just have to get in there and figure it out. Where did they go that I can still fish on this wind? That is the daily question when we have freshwater roaring and our options dwindle.

I really think once the rain stops and the wind lays just a little we will be back to catching them really well again.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed report Leemo and Glenn. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
            X