No announcement yet.

Individual Responsibility in disasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well said, I have came away from this event feeling the same way. After seeing people choose to turn off electricity for some folks (unannounced) so other could have it really opened my eyes on not relying on anything. I was prepared and took precautions, but that took me completely by surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
      So you won’t ever call 911? Same concept. The understanding/agreement that a service that is paid for is to be provided during an emergency, wether it be too cold (this storm), too hot (heat waves) someone robbing you or your house on fire. I don’t really see a difference but I’m open-minded to trying to understand it the way you do!
      When everything is “ok” then it works fine, but this event is hard proof that you HAVE to be self sustaining because the government WILL NOT be there for you. I’ve said this for years.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
        When everything is “ok” then it works fine, but this event is hard proof that you HAVE to be self sustaining because the government WILL NOT be there for you. I’ve said this for years.
        I chopped wood, have a generator, propane, cooking devices, heating devices, water, gas and was prepared. I’m glad because the power company failed me when I needed them the most. Did I wholeheartedly depend on them? Nope, or I wouldn’t have been prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
          I chopped wood, have a generator, propane, cooking devices, heating devices, water, gas and was prepared. I’m glad because the power company failed me when I needed them the most. Did I wholeheartedly depend on them? Nope, or I wouldn’t have been prepared.
          That’s what you have to do. Be prepared for WHEN your utilities fail.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
              A well known Meteorologist tweeted last Thursday “it feels like 5 days before Harvey, but a winter event.” I think we can all agree this was one of the most significant natural disasters to hit Texas, effecting 2/3 of the state.

There is plenty of blame to be spread around, from state officials, ERCOT & SWPP, down to local providers/co-ops. But can we truly depend on utilities during times of natural disasters? What is our personal responsibility?

I take a hard line here. It’s my responsibility to protect my family. To ensure we can survive. That means have the skills and supplies to do so. I believe we have become too dependent on these creature comforts and forget running water central heat and especially electricity are relatively new functions in a home. It might not be comfortable, or fun, but I think we need to expect these failures be that from a winter event, a spring thunderstorm/tornado and certainly the coastal folks know from a hurricane, and be prepared
              Spot on!

Comment

This!

Comment

I didn't realize that my Electric Co-op was part of the government. My bad I guess.

When you prepare and then the power goes out and then later you find out they just turned it off...that's a real *** moment.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    I didn't realize that my Electric Co-op was part of the government. My bad I guess.

When you prepare and then the power goes out and then later you find out they just turned it off...that's a real *** moment.
                    Not your bad, my electric is co-op too. But when the Governor (government) is on the tv saying “we’ll look into this” it doesn’t do anyone one **** bit of good at that moment. Gotta be prepared.

Comment

I can't believe how many people seem to think that in a basically statewide, unprecedented natural event, that effected 30,000,000 or so people, that was worse in power used and power supplied than the worst case scenario estimates, add in downed power lines, roads that are causing backups on all supplies and man power, that every thing would be hunky-dorey in 24 hours, especially since we are in day 8 or so of said event.

Comment

Honest question... the power companies sell power. Why would they stop making power when they can sell every KWH they can make? Maybe demand outstripped supply?

I just find it hard to believe the power companies would be willingly turning down revenue.....but I don’t own a power company and I didn’t stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                          I have food, gas and a generator. I was prepared, but I still feel our leaders have failed. My family will be fine, but there are many that will not and rely on the utilities.
                          agree with this.

every house that is built is wired for electricity. The American lifestyle is predicated on utilities.
                          If they are undependable, America is undependable. We are essentially a rich third world country.

It is one job of the government that is defined in the Constitution; general welfare.

It taxes and taxes to provide that government, they should be responsible enough to provide their basic function.

It is not the governments job to protect individuals; already decided in SCOTUS, but it is their job to protect the masses.

With that said, I take the responsibility of insuring my and my families well being.

Comment

The elderly, those with disabilities, including marginal cognitive abilities, are not able to plan ahead and prepare for something of this magnitude. It’s wonderful the able bodied folks were able to prepare and endure but what about the less fortunate? Our politicians and bureaucrats have criminally failed us. I do not believe for a minute that officials of the utilities and regulatory agencies didn’t know what would happen if the temperature drastically dropped with accumulations of ice and snow. It’s their job to plan for these eventualities! They set up this disaster when they shutdown coal fired power plants and built wind turbine farms to appease the left. Wind farms that will obviously accumulate ice on the turbine blades shutting down wind generation. Doesn’t take a Harvard grad to predict that. It isn’t a problem of increased Demand on the grid, it’s a problem of decreased Supply. People have died and probably more will die because of bureaucratic decisions and a failure to keep the public informed. It’s predictable that ice accumulation on trees and power lines will cause outages. That’s just bad luck for those affected. It’s also predictable that solar and wind are not ready for prime time with severe cold, ice and snow accumulation. They didn’t forewarn us about this fact and the resultant reduced Supply so more people could prepare.

Water systems are fouled in many areas. Burst pipes will be widespread. Grocery stores can’t open because of power outages. If they can open customers are lined up down the street. Texas has become a third world country and it’s the fault of weak kneed politicians that can’t or won’t stand up to leftist lunacy.

Thank god for all those that came through this stronger and wiser. Condolences for the ones we’ve lost. A sincere thank you to all the people that are working their tails off in terrible conditions trying to get all the utilities back on line. Thank you to everyone that has helped their neighbor. Shame on our inept bureaucrats and politicians that utterly failed us.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Compared to how I grew up this is a cakewalk. Learning how to get by back then makes this business as usual.

Comment

What would happen if McDonald’s drive through shut down?

Comment

Working...
                                X