No announcement yet.

2018 Pushmataha County Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

monsterspike, hahah paragraphs would have probably been appropriate lol! I'm trying to post the ones I have , but it keeps saying file upload failed. Not sure why? Ill try again tomorrow !

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbucks26 View Post
      monsterspike, hahah paragraphs would have probably been appropriate lol! I'm trying to post the ones I have , but it keeps saying file upload failed. Not sure why? Ill try again tomorrow !
      it sounds like a gnarly piece of real estate, and i imagine it truly whooped those corporate suit and tie boys. the bucks are there. think like a deer, get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by mww982 View Post
        Two of us are headed up there tomorrow, if you are staying in Antlers you must be hunting not too far from where we are. We are 15 minutes east of Antler's. Both of us are focused on bear hunting this weekend, not saying that I wouldn't shoot a deer if I saw one.

Good luck!
        Three of us! And ****it kill that bear that keeps messing with my feeder. Deer only for me this year. Bear tag wasn’t in the budget.

Comment

monsterspike hahah thats too funny one of the trail cam photos snapped a shot of them and they looked pretty defeated , heads sunk and leaning up against feeder. Then they never returned or came back for one stand, game camera, and two feeders. Hunted this am and had a boar come in just before light . He ate corn for 30 minutes and left literally just as I got ready to shoot. Literally needed 5 more minutes. He must have knew it too! No deer movement but noticed a fresh scrape nearby on my way out that was not there a cpl days ago. The pictures I'm trying to upload are jpeg anyone have any idea why it keeps failing to upload?

Comment

monsterspike hahah thats too funny one of the trail cam photos snapped a shot of them and they looked pretty defeated , heads sunk and leaning up against feeder. Then they never returned or came back for one stand, game camera, and two feeders. Hunted this am and had a boar come in just before light . He ate corn for 30 minutes and left literally just as I got ready to shoot. Literally needed 5 more minutes. He must have knew it too! No deer movement but noticed a fresh scrape nearby on my way out that was not there a cpl days ago. The pictures I'm trying to upload are jpeg anyone have any idea why it keeps failing to upload?

Staying at the budget tonight, holler at me this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think many of us hunt in a tight proximity.

Comment

Megapixel is to high on the pics. Email them to yourself at a lower resolution, save them from the email to saved photos on the computer, them try to upload them to TBH. I have to do that with my higher megapixel cam photos.

Comment

mww982 sorry I missed you last night. Was exhausted once I got back to hotel and didn't check the forum. Im staying here tonight as well. I'm in room 133.

Comment

Originally posted by B G View Post
                    Megapixel is to high on the pics. Email them to yourself at a lower resolution, save them from the email to saved photos on the computer, them try to upload them to TBH. I have to do that with my higher megapixel cam photos.
                    B G thank You very much for advice! I will do that today and try posting again! Got 50 photos of that really nice three year old last night all between 11pm and 430am. He might be tempting if he came past in daylight even with his spindly horns. Was skunked last night and this am. Seems like a lot of the deer activity is at night. Checked my other trail cam which is deepest and hardest to access near spot with large rub and only had one photo on it and the deers head is down! Thing that interests me most is that it was a single deer making me think maybe a buck and in daylight. Going to move it further back on another tree and put more feed out this afternoon before the evening hunt. Good luck to anyone out there today! So far I sure am getting beat up by these deer, but I guess I should expect that with these temps.

Comment

Originally posted by caseys95m3 View Post
                      Hey gents! I’ve been bowhunting (almost) exclusively in SE OK the last 9 years, primarily public land. This July the wife and I purchased a property north of cloudy that borders Honobia WMA. I’m shocked I didn’t see this thread sooner or else I would have said hi already. Reading some of your posts of what to expect in the area seem spot on with what I’ve seen in the short time I’ve been around. I’m more familiar with Atoka County so look forward to sharing stories and possibly meeting some of my new fellow neighbors. I’ll be up this weekend for some last minute work and opening day. Anyone heading out this weekend?
                      I also hunt near there. Watch out for your cameras. I had 4 stolen last fall...

Comment

Originally posted by chocolatelabs View Post
                        I also hunt near there. Watch out for your cameras. I had 4 stolen last fall...

Yea I was worried about that very worried but I'm landlocked on all sides and its very rugged terrain. And I'm not near the kiamichi wilderness which I understand is where a lot of the problems occur. edit*Sorry just realized you are talking about a different area to a different member.
                        Last edited by mtnbucks26; 10-03-2018, 11:24 AM. Reason: wrong person

Comment

I will be up Thursday night for the weekend. There have already been some great deer taken in Ok this week. Hopefully we see some movement with the rainy weather this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Everyone! First time posting on this thread ... thought ide join in on the fun!! Guess ill start out by giving you a little background on myself. Grew up in Virginia hunting big timber bucks but not mtns. Currently I'm 26 yrs young. Killed a cpl nice ones over the yrs while growing up there. When I was 11 I was invited to hunt in north Texas clay county specifically. Lots of acres around it not hunted. 16k acres and 22k acres on the other side. Shot about 12 bucks since then ranging from 130-155 inches.

I eventually moved to Texas and have currently been living in the valley ranch area for around 5 yrs. Ive enjoyed my hunting in Texas but honestly its just not the same as being in big timber and its gotten to the point I've lost interest in the Texas rifle hunting. Sitting in a bling with all the comforts you can imagine isn't really hunting its more like killing. It literally got to the point If I can see the deer with binos I can shoot it. Along with these reasons as well as the other long term members I hunted with out there for close to 15yrs expanding there family and basically taking over the entire lease making rules where I can and can't hunt and wanting to hunt my locations I invest time and money but not okay to hunt anywhere else(I bought, ran, and filled all 7 feeders on the lease and maintained all the blinds as they didn't have time). Also, they didn't want me bowhunting anymore as they believe it was unfair since they don't want to bow hunt. Really I think its fear of shooting a big buck lol! Anyways rant over!

For these reasons I started looking for a last minute bow lease in se Oklahoma this year to get back to my childhood roots and get back to playing chess with big bucks in big timber. I've always heard about pushmataha ok and I have seen the quality genetics this county can produce and honestly much bigger than any north Texas buck ive seen that typically cap out around 140 with most much smaller and the occasional bigger one.(not that anything is wrong with a 140 inch deer lol). I also liked the idea of being able to hunt in the mtns and the challenge it poses. So long story short I secured 160 acres in push co about 20 minutes NE of antlers on a creek. I payed for the lease sight unseen. Little did I know how challenging and rugged this terrain is once actually taking a look at the property. I couldnt believe how steep, thick, and rocky the property is. Its been a real challenge trying to learn the property and where the deer travel. Property has a creek running right through it and some bottom land on either side before going straight up with multiple nice benches etc. Lots of rocks oh and lots of snakes!! I've had a camera out for 3 weeks on the top of the ridge with only two does coming in everyday not the very first buck. I'm now learning these bucks don't come to these easily accessible areas at all. Im assuming this is normal?

I picked a cpl last minute stand locations on Sunday hand fed some feed and put out three more cameras at lower elevation and hard to access areas and low and behold I got my first buck pic this evening when I pulled the card after getting skunked on new stand location. (not surprised being so last minute). ill post picture once I figure out how to do that. Everytime I try it says upload failed. Love to share photo as this 3 yr old has a lot of potential. Just needs one more year.

I wanted to thank you all for this thread its amazing and honestly reading through the old ones from years past has helped educate me immensely and speed up my learning process(I still have a long way to go). It also helped me learn about the county and the types of other guys I may get to know from Texas that hunt the area.

Anyone else hunt today? All I saw were two does all day. Ill be up here trying to learn till Thursday before returning to real world(hopefully only temporarily). Im staying at budget inn at antlers. Was curious if other tbh members ever stay here. Unfortunately my place is too rugged and steep for a camper. Sorry for long post and look forward to getting to know everyone! Good luck to anyone else who may be hunting tomorrow!
                            Best,
                            Max

Good write up, Max. Welcome. Push county has a tremendous amount to offer. Stick with it and put in the scouting effort and it will pay back in spades! I look forward to following along on your adventure.

Comment

mww982 sorry I missed you last night. Was exhausted once I got back to hotel and didn't check the forum. Im staying here tonight as well. I'm in room 133.

You awake?

Comment

Made the evening hunt today, had 2-3 does slink through in the young pines on the edge of a small food plot with mineral sight and oak tree that is almost done dropping acorns. Stand is in the oak tree and they never came out into the plot before dark. First hunt of the season but couldn’t get it done. Gonna hunt a different plot in the morning, just not sure if it should be the clover where the 8 made the scrape or the oats/last bite mix.

Comment

Working...
                                X