Optimal ammo weight for 308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimal ammo weight for 308

I recently pick up a Bergara 308 with a 18" barrel. My intention is to shoot it suppressed when I get approved for my can. The rifle has a 1-10 twist. From what I read I thought, I should be shooting the 180-200 grain ammo through it. I'm wanting a hunting round and plan on everything being within 300-400 yards. I was buying some 180gr from dealer. and he said he had same rifle and it shot the heavier stuff all over but really shot the 150gr stuff good. I have a few boxes of 168gr ammo. I don't want to start buying a bunch of ammo to try out.

What is your experience from a 308 bolt rifle with a 18" barrel with 1-10 twist. Thanks

My Alamo .308, 18” barrel suppressed shoots 168s and 175s fantastic. Heavier than that are ok but not quite as tight.

Comment

150 grain in my Savage & Remington. I don't know the twist. I play with different weights until I find what the rifle likes.

Comment

I'm a shoot what the gun likes to print on paper guy...my 16.5" AAC liked 150's out of the gates & never tried anything else.

Comment

I have a Savage with a 20” barrel and I believe it’s 1:10. Mine does good with 168’s but not great with 150’s.

Comment

Did u get the SP 18” ?

I picked one up this winter and shot lights out with cheap 150 gr ammo to 400 yards out

Hopefully my can arrives next month & will do some more shooting

Comment

My 308 loves 175’s. 16 inch barrel thru a can. Hated 150-168’s

Comment

Do you reload?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

150 Norma

Mine likes 150gr Norma medium game/ oryx, killed every thing I shot last year DRT , and it’s pretty accurate
                  I want to try the barns 150 ttsx and some nosler accubond 165
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
                    Do you reload?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    No

Comment

My 1/10 16" barrel is fairly consistent with factory 168 - 175gr ammo. Really shines with 168 Federal FMMG but not a huge fan of hunting with them. It hated Nosler 150 accubonds. All guns are different though. Now shooting Hornady 150 SST's and 42.5gr. of Varget under .4". The SST's are readily available and inexpensive if reloading is an option.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                        Did u get the SP 18” ?

I picked one up this winter and shot lights out with cheap 150 gr ammo to 400 yards out

I have this same gun, run it suppressed and get the same results with 150gr Core-Lokts.

First round out of mine while hunting took care of a coyote at ~ 350-375.

It was eye opening to say the least. I had never heard the ‘thump’ while behind the trigger. Needless to say, I was sold and never going back. I have since laid out many of pigs and a few deer.

OP, follow the provided break in procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                          Did u get the SP 18” ?

Yes- I got the Wilderness Ridge SP

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                            I recently pick up a Bergara 308 with a 18" barrel. My intention is to shoot it suppressed when I get approved for my can. The rifle has a 1-10 twist. From what I read I thought, I should be shooting the 180-200 grain ammo through it. I'm wanting a hunting round and plan on everything being within 300-400 yards. I was buying some 180gr from dealer. and he said he had same rifle and it shot the heavier stuff all over but really shot the 150gr stuff good. I have a few boxes of 168gr ammo. I don't want to start buying a bunch of ammo to try out.

What is your experience from a 308 bolt rifle with a 18" barrel with 1-10 twist. Thanks

Shoot what you got and if it works, keep at it.
                            You’re not going to get a winning recipe for a “308 bolt rifle” from the internet other than by absolute chance.
                            You have a few boxes of ammo and don’t want to buy a bunch— seems like an easy answer.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              Shoot what you got and if it works, keep at it.
                              You’re not going to get a winning recipe for a “308 bolt rifle” from the internet other than by absolute chance.
                              You have a few boxes of ammo and don’t want to buy a bunch— seems like an easy answer.
                              That funny, two others with the exact same rifles are getting pretty much the same results…….and it just happens to be the exact same rifle OP is asking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X