Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone moving stocks to more conservative safe haven areas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About a year ago I moved out of individual stocks and chose conservative "funds of funds" that blended across the globe. They are less volatile in terms of ups and downs. Each time the market takes a huge dump, I buy a bit more from the cash reserves. I don't sell though. The market recovered after the dot com bust and again after 2008. Slow and steady wins the race.

Comment

Originally posted by bow4my2 View Post
      Been a lot of ups and downs lately and only see worse. Just curious what others are doing?

I pulled our entire 401k’s out of the market in late October when the Chinese housing market crashed and am still out. I don’t think we are at the bottom yet, so they stay in either stable funds or cash for the time being.

I think I timed it okay, pulled out with the Dow over 36,000. That is 2 market pulls in a row I got right… I had pulled out of the market in December of 2019 and completely missed the dip in early 2020. Got to ride the entire rise up with no loss to recover. That was nice. Now if I can time the bottom as well this time, I will be a happy camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        I finally talked myself into moving money into my Fidelity account and NOT buying anything. I’m gonna let it sit there so I have it ready when I do decide to buy. Now I just need to figure out what I want to buy/keep an eye on. Lol

TSLA is undervalued heavily right now. If I had ANY spare money to throw at it, it would all be there.
        The price took a beating because Elon sold 6 billion of his stock to fund his Twitter purchase JUST before the DOW took its most recent hit.

It is below $870 a share right now, and I think that it will be over 1,100 even in the next 6 months. They are crushing market expectations so far. The Shanghai shutdown will hurt their Q2 a little, but if you are willing to hold for a 6 months to a year you will definitely beat the market as a whole.

Comment

This song came to mind after watching the markets.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
            TSLA is undervalued heavily right now. If I had ANY spare money to throw at it, it would all be there.
            The price took a beating because Elon sold 6 billion of his stock to fund his Twitter purchase JUST before the DOW took its most recent hit.

It is below $870 a share right now, and I think that it will be over 1,100 even in the next 6 months. They are crushing market expectations so far. The Shanghai shutdown will hurt their Q2 a little, but if you are willing to hold for a 6 months to a year you will definitely beat the market as a whole.

At 820 now, TSLA has a PE of 110 or so, way above industry avg. I think it is still way overvalued but it is sexy to the younger folk. Me? I have 25/75 where 25 percent is ATT at 8 PE and over 5 percent dividend. 75 percent is cash for the last 5 mos.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
              At 820 now, TSLA has a PE of 110 or so, way above industry avg. I think it is still way overvalued but it is sexy to the younger folk. Me? I have 25/75 where 25 percent is ATT at 8 PE and over 5 percent dividend. 75 percent is cash for the last 5 mos.

So what percentage has the cash lost in value the last 6 months? Let’s just use the government make believe numbers on inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                So what percentage has the cash lost in value the last 6 months? Let’s just use the government make believe numbers on inflation.

Not much at all.

Comment

The PE doesn’t scare me one bit, Tesla today is the equivalent of the early days of Microsoft, Apple, or Amazon. Industry disrupters that went from nothing to ubiquitous in 2-3 decades.

Since P/E is a direct function of accounting, they could have halved the P/E numbers for Q1 by simply not paying down billions in debt and leaving that revenue on the books as earnings. P/E is almost useless when assessing high growth companies that are dumping most of their cash flow into physical growth. Amazon had crappy PE for years and years until they reached market saturation. It was constantly claimed as overvalued, but I don’t know anyone that would call that a bad investment now. If all you are doing is looking at a few ratios and market indicators, you miss the whole forest for the trees.

My investment in them is based on the company operational fundamentals. Their engineering is FAR ahead of the rest of the industry, they are vertical integration zealots, are far more profitable per unit sold than any of the legacies regardless of vehicle type (while legacies are still not profitable on EV models at all). They will absolutely be the first to full self driving, and the profit in that is almost incomprehensible….

Comment

TSLA I have 2 opinions.
                    1. Overpriced by a lot

2. Underpriced IF they get everything squared away and enter the cell phone market using Starlink so people can have near 100% cell coverage. But that's a huge if.

Sabine - ATT sucks. What will they do when Starlink takes more of their customer base?

Comment

RR1, good point but I see it as competition which is always good. Both have good points. Fiber is more reliable than satellite but starlink is more available.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                        I pulled our entire 401k’s out of the market in late October when the Chinese housing market crashed and am still out. I don’t think we are at the bottom yet, so they stay in either stable funds or cash for the time being.

I think I timed it okay, pulled out with the Dow over 36,000. That is 2 market pulls in a row I got right… I had pulled out of the market in December of 2019 and completely missed the dip in early 2020. Got to ride the entire rise up with no loss to recover. That was nice. Now if I can time the bottom as well this time, I will be a happy camper.

Nice job, let me know when you hop back in, I’ll join ya. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by blackfoot1 View Post
                          Question for you smart guys…. They say that gold and silver is a hedge against inflation…. If inflation is going up, why is gold and silver going down?? I don’t understand the market at all.

Inflation isn't the only thing that moves gold. It's a major factor but it also tends to be negatively correlated to treasury yields. Treasuries have been moving up with fed rate hikes, so gold isn't moving opposite of inflation.

Silver is a whole different game. Market is tightly controlled (i.e. rigged). Stay out of that one.

Comment

No doubt a lot of people's portfolio are out of balance with the run up in stocks every the last few years. if you are older, you need to rebalance periodically, not try to catch the falling knife!

Burnadell gets it! he's seen a few cycles so i've heard!

COIN at < 6 P/E and $84 looks like a good buy right now! crypto getting slammed but if you don't think it will rebound, you aren't paying attention.

Comment

Not much at all.

Keep telling yourself that.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                                Keep telling yourself that.

What are you talking about? Djia is down 10percent for the year and I haven't lost anything. Do you know what you are talking about?

Comment

Working...
                                X