Venison filet recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison filet recipe?

Does anyone have a recommendation on the best way to cook bacon wrapped venison filets? I have plenty of steaks, sausage, and burger, so I had a couple of back straps done this way. Just wanted to try something different. I want to be careful, though, considering how lean venison is. I’m thinking about reverse searing these, but some other ideas would be great. I’ve currently got them soaking in blank pepper Allegro, with garlic powder & Uncle Chris’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salt and pepper are really the only two seasonings red meat needs.

Cavender's is okay.
    Sucklebusters Camp fire is salt and pepper based with a few others that i like quite a bit.
    But, when cook a ribeye or a filet, i prefer only salt and pepper

Comment

Sous Vida the steak to 117-120 and cook the bacon separately. Sprinkle bacon on the top (to give it flavor not to make it taste like bacon). Maybe a sauce of your choosing or maybe just blood and butter/garlic. Maybe a side of mashed potatoes if you’re in the mood. Your welcome. Good groceries. What time you want me over?

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Shark View Post
        Salt and pepper are really the only two seasonings red meat needs.

Cavender's is okay.
        Sucklebusters Camp fire is salt and pepper based with a few others that i like quite a bit.
        But, when cook a ribeye or a filet, i prefer only salt and pepper

I don’t disagree, though I do like garlic powder as well. I typically use Killen’s S&P blend on all of my steaks.

Comment

In all seriousness, that steak is going to be done WAY before that bacon! Bon apatite!

Comment

Originally posted by rbsears View Post
            In all seriousness, that steak is going to be done WAY before that bacon! Bon apatite!

That’s one reason I was leaning towards reverse searing. I can smoke it until it’s 120 or so IT, then sear it on all sides to get the bacon cooked. Not a good idea?

Comment

First toss the bacon to the dog. Then sear each side for about 3 mins each and then enjoy with a nice cabernet

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Med-low heat, 6-7 min per side to let the bacon cook a little. Be careful to not let it get past Med or Med rare internally though. Let it rest for a few min before serving.

Comment

Ditch the bacon and sous vide at 120°, the sear in pan or over a fire.

Comment

Pound the snot out of them with a tenderizer hammer. Sans hammer…I stab mine repeatedly with a steak knife or fork. Channel your inner serial killer. Also, it seems to make a world of difference sacrificing some meat to get rid of all tendon. Cervid seems to cook and eat much better for me without any tendon.

Im simple with pan searing in virgin olive oil or bacon grease and salt and peppa.

Have a good supper MrHeartshot.
                    Last edited by Briar Friar; 04-06-2022, 05:09 PM. Reason: Salt&PeppaSpake

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                      Ditch the bacon and sous vide at 120°, the sear in pan or over a fire.

One problem: I don’t have a sous vide chingadera.

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post

Reverse sear away then. The sous vide is great for lean cuts of meat, makes a fantastic sirloin. I did cook a section of unsliced backstrap on the blackstone the other day that was really good.

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post

Add water to pan after searing, scrape bottom, turn to low, and cover.

Comment

Another vote for reverse sear. Not sure how I feel about the bacon.

Comment

Reverse searing on the BGE. First (smallest) steak removed at 120*. Waiting on the other 3 before I crank up the heat.

Comment

Working...
                              X