No announcement yet.

Roof top tent talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard (Not experienced first hand), that with the roof top tent, any movement is amplified just because of how high off the ground you are. I think a lot depends on if you are on a Jeep with big cushy tires and soft suspension vs on top of a 3/4 ton truck as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech32 View Post
      Those are awesome, wanted to get the kids out camping but still want to be comfortable. How do they do in bad weather? From what I read they are ok. I think I will be leaning towards one with an annex on it as well
      I’ve slept out several storms in It so far, and had a few rain days where we just hunt out inside playing card games. It’s done very well. On the worst day I had to drop one of the flys to cover the windows as the rain was blowing almost horizontal, and it was getting wet inside from that direction. Closed that fly up and left the other 3 open. Still had good ventilation, and kept us from getting wet any further.

One thing I’ve found to be a huge help, and works for ground tents equally well, is placing a thermal cell in the tent 20 minutes before climbing in for the night then climbing in and zipping up all the screens before turning off the thermacell.. It’ll keep you bug free during your sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        I've heard (Not experienced first hand), that with the roof top tent, any movement is amplified just because of how high off the ground you are. I think a lot depends on if you are on a Jeep with big cushy tires and soft suspension vs on top of a 3/4 ton truck as well.
        I would expect this to be the case for sure. I only have experience with it on a F350 though. You can make it move if you want to, but it won’t be rocking unintentionally.

Comment

I have had/have 2 CVT tents on trailers. They are awesome. I have used them in CO mountains and around Texas. I have the annex and I would not have one without it. the annex allows you to cook and dress out of the weather. The one I have now also has a bat wing style awing.

Comment

As much as a good roof top cost I believe I’d rather have a jumping Jack trailer/ tent.
            Or just a good tent with a big cot.

Comment

We’ve had this 23zero walkabout 62 for almost two years now. Pretty happy with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by natvet View Post
                I have had/have 2 CVT tents on trailers. They are awesome. I have used them in CO mountains and around Texas. I have the annex and I would not have one without it. the annex allows you to cook and dress out of the weather. The one I have now also has a bat wing style awing.
                It's underrated how much this bolded section gets overlooked. I hate getting dressed sitting down, or worse, lying down. Being able to cook would be a huge plus.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                  We’ve had this 23zero walkabout 62 for almost two years now. Pretty happy with it so far.

I basically have it down to a 23 zero and tuff stuff, the big ones 87 from 23 zero or elite from tuff stuff. Tuff stuff is cheaper but I think 23 zero is better.

Do you just sleep 1 or 2 in the 62? I am goin to have 2 kids with me, but 1 of them is adult size now. I really like extra room, are you happy with the size or would you go bigger if you bought another one?

Comment

Originally posted by DFA View Post
                    Here is the setup I have, and it's great. I too wanted to be able to setup camp, and drive away. I also wanted to have room for my motorcycles and kayaks. I lifted it and put 31x10.50x15 tires on it for getting secluded in the mountains in Colorado. Here are a few pics from how I got it and what it looks like now
                    [ATTACH]1093505[/ATTACH]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
                    That's a sweet set up!

Rwc

Comment

Roof top tent talk

I basically have it down to a 23 zero and tuff stuff, the big ones 87 from 23 zero or elite from tuff stuff. Tuff stuff is cheaper but I think 23 zero is better.

Do you just sleep 1 or 2 in the 62? I am goin to have 2 kids with me, but 1 of them is adult size now. I really like extra room, are you happy with the size or would you go bigger if you bought another one?

We have two boys. They sleep downstairs, on cots,
                      in the annex, me and momma up top. There is enough room in the 62 for a kid with us, but we are kinda small people.

I love the brand, it’s pretty heavy duty. And the inside is like the inside of a ground blind….blacked out. You won’t know it’s daylight till you open a window. Looking at a 23zero 270 awning and shower cube now.

Last edited by savin yours; 06-29-2022, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                        I love the brand, it’s pretty heavy duty. And the inside is like the inside of a ground blind….blacked out. You won’t know it’s daylight till you open a window. Looking at a 23zero 270 awning and shower cube now.

Glad to hear this. 23 Zero is what I was looking at for our next tent. We will be upsizing sometime in the near future, and a 270 awning will be added as well. Both for the trailer build though.

Comment

This thread is gonna change points of view !

Comment

A friend of mine here in Iowa has this one.

https://frontrangegear.com/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw this today that was intriguing that was sent to me, called a shift pod. Looks like they use these for FEMA as emergency shelters. Insulated and a heavy duty zip in floor. Still really interested in RTT, but this is like a portable cabin at nearly 12 x 12
                              Attached Files

Comment

I saw this today that was intriguing that was sent to me, called a shift pod. Looks like they use these for FEMA as emergency shelters. Insulated and a heavy duty zip in floor. Still really interested in RTT, but this is like a portable cabin at nearly 12 x 12
                                Those folks up north have using those to ice fish for many moons

Comment

Working...
                                X