No announcement yet.

Montana Self Bow Jamboree June 23-26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good looking bow, and beautiful scenery!

Comment

Thanks for compliments.

A couple more details.

One of the bowyers there helping newbies like me asked if I wanted bubinga tip overlays. A quick trip to the local ACE hardware for the strongest epoxy (Gorilla- 3,500 pound) and they were ready to finish the last day.

I made 2 flemish twist strings from B50. One with 2 loops. The other another bowyer said he’d seen another type.

I made the upper loop like a regular flemish twist, but instead of stopping weaving the end into to string about 2 inches, continued with the twisting like the loop for the entire length.

Then tied it with a knot, and used a timber hitch to tie the string on the lower limb tip nock. Served it like a regular twisted string.

It’s sure different and seems to have stretched to final length.

I needed 14 strands, 7 + 7. The white roll only had enough for 6 strands, so I added 1 green strand to the white bundle. It looks interesting adding a single color into the white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Bill; 06-27-2022, 02:20 PM.

Comment

The self bow shoots really nicely. No stacking when I draw it and very little hand shock.

Comment

Looks great. I need to get off the fence and split these Osage logs.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been meaning to stain the bow- and on the last day of the year I was thinking about what I’d done and accomplished in 2022.

Into the shop, turn on the heater and some music and put a coat of Walnut gel stain on the osage orange. The backdrop is one of the stones when we excavated our foundation. The circular rings are iron compounds.

I read the Birchwood Casey Tru Oil puts a great, protective finish on the stain.

Sure a step up from raw osage orange.

Comment

If it was me, I would have skipped the stain and just used the tru oil. Osage is very yellow when newly cut, but darkens to a beautiful deep dark brown as it ages.

Either way, your bow looks great!!! I’d love to figure out a way to come to the jamboree just so I could meet you in person and see your awesome piece of heaven!!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Come on north!

Do you use Tru-oil? I read about it and got into the arguments for and against it.

Comment

I wish I could go to that. I've never been anywhere near that part of the country. It's just too far, and I don't want to get eaten by a bear.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Come on north!

Do you use Tru-oil? I read about it and got into the arguments for and against it.

I have used tru oil. It works fine. A lot more of a hassle than polyurethane though. I think the tru oil is a better finish in the long run though.

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 01-01-2023, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                      I wish I could go to that. I've never been anywhere near that part of the country. It's just too far, and I don't want to get eaten by a bear.

They don’t eat you- just tenderize. We got thru bow and rifle seasons this year without a griz attack in Montana. Wyoming had a couple I believe.

Comment

The Tru Oil finally arrived and I rubbed it in by hand. Interesting way to be sure it’s applied thin. 2 coats so far and the bow’s got a great shine.

Almost too pretty to shoot and worry about it splitting or breaking

Comment

That bow looks outsatnding!

Comment

Looks great Bill

Bisch

Comment

4 coats and it looks remarkable. I wonder how many more coats to put on.

Comment

Working...
                              X