No announcement yet.

Optimal ammo weight for 308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will say my SP 18ā€ shot the Nosler Accubond 150 gr very accurately at 200, 300 & 400 yards
    Will be using it this fall to fill my bull tag out west

Comment

I'm running 1/11.25 twist out of a 16". It shoots Hornady 178 ELD-X so good I don't even need to consider reloading for it.

I don't reload yet. When i get a new rifle i end up buying a box of everything I can get my hand on. Shoot what groups best then reconfirm after 200-300 rounds with all the left overs to see if it's still shooting best with what i've been running.

Comment

Every rifle is going to be different. Some are pickier than others. My 308 AR10 likes 150gr powerpoints and 147gr australian surplus of all things. Absolutely hates federal 168 gr match ammo. Buy a few boxes of different stuff and try them. That's the only way to know. Sounds like you need to try some 150s though

Comment

Mine likes 168 Barnes. She's a tack driver with it. Killed everything from varmits to bull elk with that bullet.

Comment

Only .308 I'm currently using regularly is an Armalite AR10-T with the stainless 20" barrel. I had a box of Federal 150gr power shocks. Took it to the range to just get it on paper with that box then intended to order some other "more premium" ammo for it... Shot a .375 5 shot group with the gun to finish off that box after zeroing... I found 6 more boxes with the same lot number... Ain't even bothered with anything else... Like others have said, just try what you have access to before you go spending a bunch of money... You may not need to...

Comment

Tikka CTR Federal Fusion 180
              Grain shooter here. Killed two nilgai with it this year

Comment

Tikka 308 CTR with a 20" tube. W/ suppressor. 1:11" twist.

As far as factory loads go, it always loved this:

.308 WIN – 165gr Sierra SBT GameKing, ammunition that leaves your barrel at the same high velocity at extreme temperature range, a feature called Ballistic Temperature Independence.

With handload accuracy, it really likes 150 Interlock (I'm not impressed with terminal performance) and 168 Gold Dots (my favorite all-around 308 bullet) <1" groups all day.

180 grain Ballistic Tips are meh ~ 2" groups.

Interestingly the gun HATES 165 Interlock boattails. 3"+ groups.

Comment

Look on Bergara's website. They list the ammo they use for each gun if it has an accuracy warranty claim. I did this with my Bergara 6.5CM and shoots amazing. Not sure if the suppressor changes things.

Comment

Originally posted by jgard2522 View Post
                    Look on Bergara's website. They list the ammo they use for each gun if it has an accuracy warranty claim. I did this with my Bergara 6.5CM and shoots amazing. Not sure if the suppressor changes things.
                    I didn't know this. I will take a look

Comment

165gr Accubond I shoot them from my 16” 308 killed deer out to 500 yards with them.

Comment

My Bergara ridge SP with the 18ā€ barrel shot 175gr terminal ascents the best

Comment

Iā€™m shooting a 168gr out of my ruger gunsite
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                            Tikka CTR Federal Fusion 180
                            Grain shooter here. Killed two nilgai with it this year
                            I shoot the 165 Fusions in all of my 308's.....nothing walks away from them

Comment

Tagged

Comment

168gr for a 1-10 twist

Comment

Working...
                                X