Spring Plot Supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Plot Supplements

finally got seed im happy with in the ground - 3 types of sorghum and sunhemp and a little sweet corn. should have gotten 3/4 inch of rain last night and plan on going out to see growth this weekend. planted 2 weeks back. Should i load the sprayer with nitrogen focused liquid fertilizer to give it a boost or dont fix what aint broken here

Did you do any soil tests?

Comment

unfortunately i didnt this year. had some success with fall plots and figured id follow the same triple 13 approach i took last year. thought liquid fertilizer post emergent may help too

Comment

Location? County?

Comment

Anderson county crocket area

Comment

Was your intent a deer, bird or both plot? That is going to be a lot of leaf matter and with the exception of the sun hemp, you wont have any deer food until the grain of sorghum/corn ripen and when they finally do eat it they will clean it out in short order. With those plants you will be requiring a lot of nitrogen. My thoughts are to go with straight granular urea 46-0-0 right before a good rain

Comment

Every time I’ve planted grain in the spring the hogs destroyed it. YMMV

Comment

goal with this mix was to build organic matter in the loam - not so much food. lots of natural browse in this neck of the woods in the spring, and as noted if i plant cowpeas or soybeans they are wiped out as soon as they germinate

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasTiger View Post
                  goal with this mix was to build organic matter in the loam - not so much food. lots of natural browse in this neck of the woods in the spring, and as noted if i plant cowpeas or soybeans they are wiped out as soon as they germinate
                  If that's your goal, buckwheat would be better

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                    If that's your goal, buckwheat would be better

ill have to try that next time around, appreciate it

Comment

Im just north of Grapeland, so likely pretty close to you in Anderson County. Unless your soil has been recently worked, I would imagine it is going to be pretty acidic with very low NP&K. I would save my $$ and go ahead and get a soil test done now so you know what you are up against. If the pH is way off, the fertilizer won't work as efficiently.

As for your planting choices, I have planted Sorghum, Sorghum-Sudan, Egyptian Wheat, Sunn Hemp and Corn. Only one I had pig trouble with was the corn...they waited until it was up about 2 foot tall and bit the entire stalk. Depending on how you planted it, weeds may be a bigger issue than hogs.

Meant to add, if your pH is out of whack, go ahead and get the lime down sooner than later. Money much better spent than fertilizer.
                      Last edited by EastTexun; 04-14-2022, 12:23 PM. Reason: Forgot lime

Comment

Yes sir, I just regurgitate the information I get from these sources. When they align I feel that the information is A+

Jeff Sturgis
                        Mississippi St Deer Lab crew
                        Dr. Grant Woods
                        Dr. Craig Harper

Hard to go wrong with these guys

Comment

Best money I spent was a hog proof fence around two small plots in Leon county. It was fun to experiment without hogs or cows.
                          Does loved it for fawning. Snakes loved it for the mice and rats.
                          I had to be careful not to put out too many sorghum seeds. It did real well there
                          No rain here in brown county. Not planting this spring.

Comment

Working...
                          X