Recommendations for Rifle and Scope for Western Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m looking to get a rifle for hunting elk out west. I’m planning on getting a 300 win mag. What rifle and scope recommendations do you have? I’d prefer to keep the entire package (rifle and scope) at around $1,500- $2k. I wouldn’t mind having a threaded barrel as well in case I get a suppressor in the future.

What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bergara B14 Ridge or Browning Hell's Canyon Speed topped with either a Leupold VX-5 or Vortex Razor LHT would be my suggestion. Both of these rifles come threaded. Should be able to stay under the $2K mark if you look around. Don't be afraid to look at used glass either.

Comment

I use a Browning Xbolt western hunter in a 28 nosler with a leupold vx5. Have around 2k into it. It’s been a great gun and has some knock down power.

Comment

Given you want to go with a 300, I'm voting Browning x-bolt Hell's Canyon.

It comes threaded and has the option of magported or no magport. But most of all, its not heavy.

Comment

Might also look at Tikka or Christensen Mesa and Leupold VX-3 or 5

Comment

Tikka T3X Lite

Comment

.300 Weatherby Mag Mark V Accumark with a Swaro 4x12x50 scope. Best set up I own. Gonna be a little bit more than $2k though. But it’s the best production rifle made imo

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                I’m looking to get a rifle for hunting elk out west. I’m planning on getting a 300 win mag. What rifle and scope recommendations do you have? I’d prefer to keep the entire package (rifle and scope) at around $1,500- $2k. I wouldn’t mind having a threaded barrel as well in case I get a suppressor in the future.

What say you?

Why do you need a special rifle and scope to kill an elk? I’ve killed 10 elk. 2 with a bow and , 1 with a 22-250 and 7 with a 243. Save the money you plan spending on a new rifle and apply that to a better area/better outfitter.

Comment

I'd ask you to review the tables on a 7Mag at 162grain vs anything in the 300.

I'm selling one with only a few shots through it. Tried to tell myself I needed a 300 as well. Still shooting 7Mag since '92 up in the Colo and Wyoming mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                    Bergara B14 Ridge or Browning Hell's Canyon Speed topped with either a Leupold VX-5 or Vortex Razor LHT would be my suggestion. Both of these rifles come threaded. Should be able to stay under the $2K mark if you look around. Don't be afraid to look at used glass either.

Which LHT are you thinking. The 4.5-22 sells for $1500 on the street.

And both of those rifles are over $1k.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your recommendations but the OP will have a hard time staying in his stated budget with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      Which LHT are you thinking. The 4.5-22 sells for $1500 on the street.

And both of those rifles are over $1k.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your recommendations but the OP will have a hard time staying in his stated budget with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He’d have to go with the SFP 3-15 if he went LHT. I’d prefer the FFP 4.5-22, but not really an option at his budget. Should be able to find either the LHT or a 3-15 VX5 right around $1000 new or under $800 used pretty easily. I want to say those Bergeras are right around $850 street price, so he should be able to stay under $2K. The Browning would probably put him a little over budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunterdan View Post
                        Tikka T3X Lite
                        Yep. Topped with a swaro z5 and you’re good to go at right about $2k.

Comment

Before I bought my .300WM last year, I fondled Bergara, Christensen, and Browning HC. I really thought I wanted a Christensen, but kept going back to the Browning. Ended up with the HC Speed and have no regrets. I topped it with a Leupold VX-3 and am very happy for the money spent. As a matter of fact, I just ordered another VX-3 for my new 6.5 Grendel. All in I was right around $1800. I’ve since taken a Gemsbok and an Aoudad with it. Pretty light for an off-the-shelf gun at 7.5lbs, and has been very accurate shooting 180gr Barnes. I don’t rifle hunt much, but it’ll do everything I need it to.

*edit* I previously had a Tikka and it didn’t compare to the Browning, especially the cheap plastic magazines that came apart unexpectedly.

Last edited by txheartshot; 11-11-2021, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Another advocate for the Tikka.

Comment

Good input. I’m checking it all out. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X