Corroded bolts, impact or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corroded bolts, impact or no?

Should I start with the impact or slow pressure with a breaker bar?

I've got one shot to get these bolts out. Truck lives on an island in the sand, 4x4 actuator needs replacing, got me a whole new housing and all the parts ready. Four bolts on the front axle to remove it and they appear to be locked on pretty good and bolt heads are caving to rust. I've been hitting them with PBlaster all morning and gonna try to remove them in a couple hours. If I round the heads off or snap the bolts it's not gonna be good out here, have to catch a ride on a barge to get it back to the mainland which ain't happening so pretty much means the truck is a storage compartment at that point.

I think impact is better. Lower air pressure to start.

Comment

Hit with impact and be done.

Comment

Sounds good. It's electric but it's got a low tap setting.

Comment

Might add some heat to it first as well, unless it's too close to plastic.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you have a welder? Die grinder?

If they do get rounded you can weld a big nut on top of them and then easily turn them out. Did this on some pretty stuck bolts on a dozer.
            Or die grind a notch and whack with punch n hammer

Comment

Go back and forth with them to help prevent the bolt from snapping. So loosen it then tighten then loosen and tighten repeat that till she comes out or feels like it won’t break

Comment

Impact will just twist them off... Spray them and let them soak for a while then ease on them with a wrench or ratchet. Still might twist them off tho. If there is alot of bolt sticking out wire brush it real good to atleast give you lest resistance once you get it moving.

Comment

Get some liquid wrench and apply multiple times the day before the work starts or in a pinch mixture of acetone and transmission fluid.

Then hit it with some heat.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips, they're coming in faster than I can process them. lol

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
                    Might add some heat to it first as well, unless it's too close to plastic.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                    Good plan, I've got some propane torches here so not too hot.

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                    Do you have a welder? Die grinder?

If they do get rounded you can weld a big nut on top of them and then easily turn them out. Did this on some pretty stuck bolts on a dozer.
                    Or die grind a notch and whack with punch n hammer
                    Don't have either but probably could run a grinder on the generator if need be. Hopefully if I'm going to have an issue they'll just round off and not snap off.

Comment

Rounded head extractors on an impact. Beat the socket on the bolt head then give it hell. If they don’t come out apply head until it’s glowing. Then try again. If you break them off there are ways to get them out

Comment

I wouldn't use an impact. Apply torch heat around the bolt not to the bolt just FYI it expands the metal when you heat stuff.

Like mentioned above back and forth slow once it start if they are real bad. But honestly probably just going to be the first few threads and surface that will be rusted so probably surprise you how easy it comes out.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Give the PB Blaster time to work first. Then back and forth with impact on lower setting. It they do twist off, drill the bolt out and retap the hole.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you use the impact please video. Gonna be a lot of cussing if you do

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                              I wouldn't use an impact. Apply torch heat around the bolt not to the bolt just FYI it expands the metal when you heat stuff.
                              Isn't expanding the metal around the bolt going to shrink the hole?

Comment

Working...
                              X