No announcement yet.

I need a new chainsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I guess I'll look at some stihl saws tomorrow.

Comment

I prefer Echo brand. Have a CS590 Timberwolf for serious work. Love the 24” bar. Less bending over while bucking felled trees. Have a CS370 with 16 and 18” bars. Light. Super easy starting and perfect for light work round the house. For pruning, limping and all overhead work I ditched my Sthil pole saw for the DeWalt pole saw. I cut back d huge crepe myrtles Saturday on 2 of the 4ah batteries. Filled a 6 x 10 utility trailer 4 times with it.

Comment

Stihl ms 250 here. Perfect all around saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stihl, then figure your usage and match saw to it. That's why I have three Stihl saws, each one a different use.
          I highly recommend spending the extra money and only using premixed fuel, especially if not using it all the time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
            Stihl, then figure your usage and match saw to it. That's why I have three Stihl saws, each one a different use.
            I highly recommend spending the extra money and only using premixed fuel, especially if not using it all the time.

Finally some good advice.

And stihl ms 291 here

Comment

What u gonna do with dat husqvarna that you've had it with?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                If you want a saw that will last you season after season, Stihl MS261C with a 18" bar, Done.
                Correct. I have an 026 my dad bought 22 years ago. A year or two back I put a new carb, air filter, fuel lines, drive sprocket, bar and chain on it. Still runs like new.

Comment

Gota agree that Stihl gas is higher than hell BUT...it will be the best money you ever spend...My Stihl is about 30y old For years I used it weekly and mixed my own,nary a problem...Then that lease went away and I only used it 2/3 times a year..and it got hard to start/or no start tell I cleaned fuel system and Carb.that went on for years.

In a hurry once had CS with me but no can, no gas ,no oil. To heck with it I just stopped and bought a Gallon of Stihl (highdollar)...That was 5 or 6y ago and I still use it 2/3 times a year and it always starts easy and aint had a fuel problem since..and yea I have bought a few more Gallons ..Theres other brands of pre mix out there probably good...I'm happy with mine (highdollar stihl)

I wish my old stihl had a Hour meter on it I bet it would be 1K +

But now with limited use if it Crapped out,,I think I would go BATTERY.. Project Farm on U tube got some interesting test on Battery Powered...(Look Mom no EARPLUGS)

Comment

I’ve had the same Stihl since 1991. I’ve changed the carburetor, fuel lines and filter a couple times and won’t buy anything else. Looking to replace it in the next year.

Comment

MS 291. I love mine. I also have a little dewalt 20V saw that I keep in my buggy that is really handy.

Comment

We use Echo. We use the crap out of Echo chainsaws for 7 years now and they still start and run good.

Stihl may be better but I'm hoping my Echos never die and I never find out

Comment

The battery saws are fine if you’re dealing with stuff like cleaning up dropped tree limbs now and then. I carry one in the back of my SUV since there is no gas smell to deal with. You can buck up a tree that fell across the road but it’s not quick.

IMO they are not in the same league when it comes to tree removal or firewood processing. Think Tacoma vs F-250.

Comment

No matter what saw you get, this is probably the best advice ever! I've ran "mix your own" most of my 2-stroke life and with the current levels of ethanol in fuels nowadays and the cheap quality of replacement fuel lines, fuel systems on saws, weed eaters, etc. don't stand a chance. You'll replace the fuel lines and clean out the carbs at least every other year.

I'll add another vote for the Echo CS-490.

I just bought a CS-490 to replace my old & beaten Poulan Wild Thing that was 18 yrs old. I did a lot of research on which saw to buy as I was given a green light for whatever I wanted (Husky, Stihl, etc.)

I ran across this website: Arborist Site
                            These guys talk chainsaws like we talk hunting! It's what they know.

From what I read, most of the smaller chainsaws now (including Husky, Echo, & Stihl) are using a lot of plastic in the engine casings. Even for some of the bearings. Something to keep in mind if you're choosing a saw for longevity or heavy use.

The CS-490 came pretty well recommended. I was out the Home Depot door with the saw (20" bar), fuel, bar oil, and an extra chain for right at $480. Another $40 online bought me the carrying case that holds everything I just bought above.

I've ran this saw for two weekends leading up to hunting season this year and it never hiccup'ed. Starts very easy (no primer bulb) and will idle until it runs out of fuel. My hunting buddy was impressed with how it ran against his MS290.

I don't regret buying this over a Stihl at all. For the price I got a larger engine, bigger bar, and (I feel) the same level of quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                              What u gonna do with dat husqvarna that you've had it with?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                              Probly just sell it. I'm sure it just something with the carb, but I've replaced it and can't get it to stay running. I adjusted settings to get it to idle good, now when I give it gas it will die. Then I have to let it sit before it will start again.

Comment

Ms291

Comment

Working...
                                X