Pat Mayse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pat Mayse

Anyone else going this weekend for the draw hunt?

My son and I won’t be there until the 1st weekend in December. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you. Will give you an update.

Comment

Well my time at Pat Mayse is up. I was hoping to see some deer or pigs. Here is the recap.

I arrived on Saturday and saw some hunter's in the "campground" so I pull in and ask where can we set up. "I don't know" was what I got. I'm thinking great, some unfriendly people. I start setting up and the manager shows up and says hey we are going to be here late some nights, so the light might affect you. Why don't you set up right over there. I get set up and it is time for orientation. I drew 9A and B. He tells me nobody really hunts over there so should be good. I'm thinking alright maybe I will see alot of animals. After orientation I asked him where does he think it would be good to set up. He tells me "I haven't been over there yet, so I really can't tell you". I go over and I decide to scout and look around. After about 3 miles of walking and seeing pig sign everywhere, I found a nice place to set up. As I am walking out, I find a ladder stand. I inform the manager and he asked for coordinates because nobody should be in there and they should be moving there stands every 3 days. 1st day/night no deer. Sunday morning I am sitting in my stand and the ladder stand as it turns out is only 30 yards from me. Legal shooting time it sounds like a gun range is not far. I thought well I will sit here until 8 then spot and stalk the other half of my unit. 7:00 I hear something eating. I look in that direction and it is a fat squirrel. I turn back and there trying to sneak through is a good size deer. I shoot it runs 20 yards and drops. Alright monkey off my back. As I am driving out, I see another truck. I am the only one assigned to this unit. I let the manager know and he calls the game warden to check it out. The "gun range" is duck hunters. Take it back 84 pounds dressed. I skin, quarter, and in the cooler by 9:00. Two more spikes come in, all around the 80 pound mark. I go back out to scout the other unit. Walk around 4-5 miles, finally find a good spot that looks promising. No deer seen tonight. I get back and one of the other hunters brings in a 6 1/2 or 7 1/2 year old doe dressed out 92 pounds. Monday morning sit in my spot until 8:30, nothing so I try to see if I can't jump one. At 9:30 decide to head to break camp, I have a long drive ahead of me. One more doe has been brought in. He tells us he saw during the whole hunt 15 deer. All in all a great hunt and I definitely will put in for again. 8 hunters 6 deer.

Comment

Congrats. Sounds like a good time.

Comment

Working...
          X