Pig Backstrap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig Backstrap question

Had a Grandkid bring me these two pig backstraps. I searched a little but didn't find much. Any suggestions from the green screen? Chicken fry like deer backstrap, smoke low and slow, or high heat cut thin on grille or skillet? Pig weighed about 75 lbs. Forgot to ask whether boar or guilt. Any advice appreciated.
    Attached Files

I like to butterfly and shake and bake.

Comment

However you cook them, better tenderize them or they will be chewy. Wild pigs ain’t ever still !

Comment

Cook it anyway you like deer backstrap. I like to butterfly the pig backstraps and stuff them with cheese, peppers, and other goodies, wrap in bacon and cook it on the grill or oven. They will make good pull pork if you want to slow cook in a crockpot. Make good jerky too

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
          Cook it anyway you like deer backstrap. I like to butterfly the pig backstraps and stuff them with cheese, peppers, and other goodies, wrap in bacon and cook it on the grill or oven. They will make good pull pork if you want to slow cook in a crockpot. Make good jerky too
          Yep. Cook them however you like deer back strap. Or, it's just a pork loin, so any recipe you have for pork loin will work.

Comment

It's a pork loin. Make pork chops, pulled pork, whatever. But, do cook it thoroughly as 85 percent of feral hogs has that parasite that starts with a t.

Comment

Cook like a pork loin.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                It's a pork loin. Make pork chops, pulled pork, whatever. But, do cook it thoroughly as 85 percent of feral hogs has that parasite that starts with a t.

Where’d you get that stat?

I’ve looked into trichinosis in feral pigs and found no information to indicate it is common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PantherCity View Post
                  Where’d you get that stat?

I’ve looked into trichinosis in feral pigs and found no information to indicate it is common.

I'm curious for an explanation or at least a website. I've heard that but not much science supporting it.

Comment

Best one I ever did was stuff with jalapeño, onions and wrap in bacon and smoke for a few hours.

Comment

Marinate in soy with ginger & garlic for a couple hours, then grill until 160F (to kill possible trichinella) while basting with a mixture of honey, brown sugar, & sesame oil. It's amazing, I have 3 girls and it's their favorite meal.

Don't overcook it or it will dry out and get chewy. I usually pull it between 150-155 and wrap in foil, and just check it 5 min later to make sure it passed 160F. I believe trichinella is common in feral pigs and bears...no big deal if you cook it right.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                        I'm curious for an explanation or at least a website. I've heard that but not much science supporting it.
                        I’ve seen numerous articles on it. Here is a quote from the parks and wildlife website,
                        “ Wild pigs are capable of carrying and transmitting at least 30 bacterial, fungal, and viral diseases which threaten humans, livestock, and wildlife (7, 57). Some of those which can infect humans are brucellosis, leptospirosis, toxoplasmosis, and trichinosis (58)“
                        But I usually eat them, just make sure to cook and handle properly

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          Not sure how common it is, but the manager at the ranch we hunt got supper sick and hospitalized with it. He won’t even help load one anymore. Refuses to touch them, let alone eat one. We make sausage out of all of ours.

Comment

I sous vide some back strap last week at 155 for 5 hrs. Then used a pineapple coconut mango tequila sauce/marinade on it when I put it on the grill. Then sliced thin and made tacos with some slaw on it. Meat was tender and moist.

Attached Files
                            Last edited by brrdnk; 10-21-2021, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Tenderize, season and pan fry in some olive oil and butter

Comment

Working...
                              X