Releases: Index v Thumb v Back Tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Releases: Index v Thumb v Back Tension

Evening, y’all. I just made a pretty significant investment in a loaded new bow, new arrows, etc. and have been kicking around the idea of switching releases. I currently shoot The Claw by B3, an open neck index release. I actually really like it and I shoot pretty dang well with it. No target panic, I’ve always been able to get my shots off with bucks behind the pins, so this isn’t a move out of desperation. But I’ve heard great things about thumb and tension releases.

I’m most curious in the back tension being used for hunting. I understand The concept and it makes sense… but idk if I like the idea of “guesswork” being a factor as to when your bow will fire when aiming at game. It seems almost irresponsible given an animal can move right before the release would fire. With that being said - do any of y’all hunt with back tension releases? Assuming so, pros? Cons? Favorite releases? Any tips?

Back tension aside, anybody have experience switching from index to thumb? Same questions here (pros, cons, recommendations, tips, etc)!

Thanks very much, y’all!

I switched from an index to a thumb release a few years ago. I don’t know if it changed anything as far as accuracy, but I definitely like it better. I have short fingers and I sometimes had problems reaching the trigger on my index release. I also couldn’t wear a glove on release hand, which sucked when it was cold. But I think the biggest upgrade is that I can leave the release attached to my bow. When a deer comes out I’m not trying to watch/judge the buck while also trying to clip on my release.

Comment

I was in the same boat a few years ago... I ended up trying the silverback. I just couldn't get used to it and wasn't a fan. Even tried it in diff tension settings, etc...I also had the same worry of not being able to control when the shot was precisely. Like if the deer starts the move and you're already starting some back tension and not knowing if and when it would release exactly just had me second guessing that anyway. I ended up selling it and went back to my wriststrap release. If it aint broke...

Comment

It is always fun to try new things. I hunt primarily with a thumb trigger (UV button currently) and occasional with a tension release (Carter Evolution +).

In terms of not knowing when shot will go off, its never cost me a deer or pig, it has cost me a turkey. I put my pin, then start executing, if the animal moves, I just stop pulling, line back up and pull again. If they are slowly moving, I just keep pulling and track my target with the pin. My typical time from thumb on trigger till shot is gone is about 2 seconds. A lot of people think using any form of back tension is really slow, but in my experience it doesn't have to be. When you watch target archers, many are intentionally shooting a slower cadence to not affect their hold.

Index ain't broken unless you're like me and your brain can't handle it. I don't feel I give anything up with a thumb release, but before I went to back tension shooting I had a horrible case of target panic. Ironically I've made some sweet shots with a tension release on moving pigs that I think were made easier because I started pulling then could totally just focus on keeping the pin on my spot. Your mileage may vary.

Just to keep an eye on bad habits forming, there are days I rotate between tension, thumb, and hinge every group I shoot. When I am doing things right, all 3 of those work without much effort at all. If I've gotten lazy or started cheating in some ways.... its immediately obvious.

Comment

Thanks, guys! To your point, “if it ain’t broke” was how I was leaning, BUT I ended up trying out a thumb button. Went with the 3-finger Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper with a closed neck. We’ll see how she goes!

Comment

I’m also in the camp of my brain can’t handle an index. I go back and forth from a hinge to a thumb

The hinge helped me tremendously. Especially when I started hammering my thumb release. Never lost a animal or missed a opportunity with the hinge but it sure has made me a better killer

Comment

index

Comment

I shot index all of my archery life. I was in the bow shop a month ago purchasing my new bow and my release was outside in my track and it was pooring down rain. The tech said use this button so we could paper tune the bow. I thought that I would never ever use one but he taught me how to release and in my first shot I knew right then that I was hooked. First off there is so much more strength with them when drawing, I really like the natural anchoring with them and the back tension release was so easy, smooth and comfortable . I hunt a lot so I am waiting until January to make the swap.
                Last edited by Bucknaked; 11-30-2022, 09:16 PM.

Comment

This is big rabbit hole you can go down. You can shoot any release with back tension/surprise release. All that said a tension release is a good way to learn and start with or a hinge release.

Anyhow, there is tons of information out there. I will comment on this comment and play devil's advocate:

I understand the concept and it makes sense… but idk if I like the idea of “guesswork” being a factor as to when your bow will fire when aiming at game. It seems almost irresponsible given an animal can move right before the release would fire.

The "other side" will say it is irresponsible to just hammer down on a trigger... hence why you see some tracking dogs needed a lot on 20 yard shots. Something that will make more sense when/if you go down the rabbit hole. It's not really guesswork as you will find.

I've done them all. I will say what I wish I had tried years ago was just anchoring and firing my wrist release the same as my handheld releases. That makes switching back and forth a lot easier.

Comment

If you are shooting the index well, stick with it. I saw marked improvement when I went to a thumb, but that's because I punched the index way too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                      I shot index all of my archery life. I was in the bow shop a month ago purchasing my new bow and my release was outside in my track and it was pooring down rain. The tech said use this button so we could paper tune the bow. I thought that I would never ever use one but he taught me how to release and in my first shot I knew right then that I was hooked. First off there is so much more strength with them when drawing, I really like the natural anchoring with them and the back tension release was so easy, smooth and comfortable . I hunt a lot so I am waiting until January to make the swap.
                      The strength factor you mention is interesting. Were you able to go up in draw weight switching from the index release to the button? I shoot index but have a bad shoulder from my time in the army and have to really focus when drawing to use mainly my back and not shoulder to avoid pain. Because of this I’ve been wondering if a back tension release would help the shooter use more back muscles than shoulder. Your point seems to allude to that, which gives me hope!

Comment

Another minor point is that... in general a handheld release (thumb button, hinge, etc) actually helps protect your rotator cuff on your draw shoulder. When you apply a firm grip to pull, it activates an automatic readiness and preload on the shoulder muscles, basically your body knows it should stabilize the shoulder as work is about to be done. You can do the same with with an index, by taking a firm grip on the neck of the release. It is something I learned about last year, how much difference it makes I have no idea, but thought it was an interesting fact.

Comment

Originally posted by ShedHunter19 View Post
                          The strength factor you mention is interesting. Were you able to go up in draw weight switching from the index release to the button? I shoot index but have a bad shoulder from my time in the army and have to really focus when drawing to use mainly my back and not shoulder to avoid pain. Because of this I’ve been wondering if a back tension release would help the shooter use more back muscles than shoulder. Your point seems to allude to that, which gives me hope!
                          I have shoulder and wrist issues! Yes Sir- as for me I noticed it right away! I’m shooting 62 lbs and I’m not planning on changing it just to be safe . I also started a new draw technique that eases stress on my shoulder! As far as Guessing the release - I certainly had no issues with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                            Another minor point is that... in general a handheld release (thumb button, hinge, etc) actually helps protect your rotator cuff on your draw shoulder. When you apply a firm grip to pull, it activates an automatic readiness and preload on the shoulder muscles, basically your body knows it should stabilize the shoulder as work is about to be done. You can do the same with with an index, by taking a firm grip on the neck of the release. It is something I learned about last year, how much difference it makes I have no idea, but thought it was an interesting fact.
                            This is what I have found out also! Not just the rotator cuff but ligaments also!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                              This is what I have found out also! Not just the rotator cuff but ligaments also!
                              Yeah I mean its almost intelligent design . God knew us archers would need the help

Comment

Working...
                              X