I have a question...need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question...need opinions

I'm toying with the desire for a large bore hog gun...on the cheap. That limits me to a single shot...CVA, Henry, or the now extinct NEF/ H&R... my choice of caliber is 44 mag, 444 Marlin, or 4570...any of you guys shot any of these? If so, what is the pros and cons of these calibers ? Recoil, effective range, etc.

My brother has a single shot NEF with a 16.25" barrel and a 1-4x20 shotgun scope on it. By far the funnest and handiest gun I have ever hunted pigs with.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't rule out the Rossi 92. I have one in 44 and it's a fun gun to shoot. Im comfortable out to 100yds with the iron sights.

Comment

Originally posted by Davik View Post
        I'm toying with the desire for a large bore hog gun...on the cheap. That limits me to a single shot...CVA, Henry, or the now extinct NEF/ H&R... my choice of caliber is 44 mag, 444 Marlin, or 4570...any of you guys shot any of these? If so, what is the pros and cons of these calibers ? Recoil, effective range, etc.
        the 44 mag is easier to come by and a great deal cheaper on ammo along with being easier to find, you are better off with 300 gr bullets but I would not hesitate to use 240 gr, but check the velocity as there is a lot of difference in manufacturers load velocity.

the 444 is a little bit better as a long range gun (200 yards or farther) than the 45-70, but not a huge difference, it will be the hardest to find ammo for,, but it also cost about the same as the 45-70.

45-70 is a fantastic hog, deer, whatever thumper and a lot of fun to shoot, ammo is easier to come by than the 444, loads can be tailored to fit your needs from about 300 grains and up. to me the 444 has more recoil and I have had all three of them at some time, I like the handiness of a lever action 44 mag the best..

the 44 will have the shortest range and I would call it quits at much over 100 yards on bigger hogs but I have also shoot some steel plats at 200 yards with handgun, and it still hits them plenty hard but bullet performance could suffer a lot at that range,,, if your just looking to kill them it will deliver the payload but recovery could be long...

so for the money the 44 mag will give you more shots and a good effective range if you what to stretch it out,, if recovery is part of the plan, I would go 45-70 any day all day

with a 44 mag you can plink with reduced loads or even 44 special
        Last edited by xman59; 02-11-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Dont underestimate the knockdown of a slug if you already own a shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
            the 44 mag is easier to come by and a great deal cheaper on ammo along with being easier to find, you are better off with 300 gr bullets but I would not hesitate to use 240 gr, but check the velocity as there is a lot of difference in manufacturers load velocity.

the 444 is a little bit better as a long range gun (200 yards or farther) than the 45-70, but not a huge difference, it will be the hardest to find ammo for,, but it also cost about the same as the 45-70.

45-70 is a fantastic hog, deer, whatever thumper and a lot of fun to shoot, ammo is easier to come by than the 444, loads can be tailored to fit your needs from about 300 grains and up. to me the 444 has more recoil and I have had all three of them at some time, I like the handiness of a lever action 44 mag the best..

the 44 will have the shortest range and I would call it quits at much over 100 yards on bigger hogs but I have also shoot some steel plats at 200 yards with handgun, and it still hits them plenty hard but bullet performance could suffer a lot at that range,,, if your just looking to kill them it will deliver the payload but recovery could be long...

so for the money the 44 mag will give you more shots and a good effective range if you what to stretch it out,, if recovery is part of the plan, I would go 45-70 any day all day

with a 44 mag you can plink with reduced loads or even 44 special
            All this plus that light rifle in 444 or 45-70 is going to be a real thumper on recoil.

Comment

45-70

Comment

I hear you on the oil .. use to have an NEF 45 - 70 good accurate rifle but some serious recoil with hsndloads ..
                I now have a CVA 44 Mag .. Much better and mine like heavier bullets .. 300 Great gets 1.5" at 100 yards

Comment

Of the 3 the 444 is my favorite, recoil is not bad at all. I handload for mine 265gr hornady FP will knock the heck out of a hog out to 200 yards it does damage a lot of meat on shoulder shot especially deer

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post
                    Dont underestimate the knockdown of a slug if you already own a shotgun.
                    ^^^^^^^^
                    this -and even buckshot if your in a limited range

Comment

How cheap is cheap? $600?

Not on your list, but you might consider a .50 Beowulf AR upper if you already a standard AR lower. You can use AR mags, too. Cabela's stocks the ammo at $27 for 20 rounds of 335 grain.

The Beowulf is 300 plus grains at 2000 fps, and it gives you advantage of the semi-auto recoil reduction and fast follow-up shots. Red dots and cheap low power scopes intended for AR's will bolt right on.

It's fun gun to shoot and it will put the hogs down.

Comment

45-70. You'll be thrilled with the thump of a big bore on swine!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
                          45-70. You'll be thrilled with the thump of a big bore on swine!
                          ^^^^ Yes, it’s a whole lot of fun on hogs. Biggest sow I’ve seen yet got a new orifice right in the noggin. Splattered another fatty that was trying to hog all the corn for herself. The buzzards will always appreciate and take full advantage of the end result. I believe in keeping them fed well.

Comment

Slug gun

Comment

If I was solely looking for a single shot, I’d go NEF 45-70 if I was on a budget. All three will kill. I took a cow elk a couple months ago with a .44 mag lever gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X