No announcement yet.

Spring Food plots, getting ready.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a single picture of a deer at the feeders though. They have been up for 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
      Not a single picture of a deer at the feeders though. They have been up for 3 months.
      My deer have been hammering the protein pretty good for the last 4-6 weeks.

Comment

Probably not gonna see too much activity at feeders out in the wide open right now. With all the rain, browse is pretty abundant unless you're in a pine plantation. I have one little directional feeder in a small plot in the woods that gets hit every day by deer and hogs, but the one out in the open (only feeding once a day) is getting as much attention from crows and coons as it is deer. Last card pull had 400+ pics on the one in the open against 1400+ in the woods. Your plots are really nice !

Comment

2wks ago I broadcast what was left of a bag of cowpeas and old sunflowers heavy into some clover/oats and went over it with a small disc with a log chained behind it. Looks like it worked well if not seeded to thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

updates

Not sure what is going on with the deer in the last picture.
            Attached Files

Comment

This plot is growing well, however I think the dove ate all my sunflower seeds.
              Attached Files

Comment

Count the critters....
                Attached Files

Comment

Made a run out to the farm today to check on things. Plot is looking good other than one spot that’s been holding water and the relentless costal bermuda poking its way through. Sorghum is growing faster than the peas and beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Question

I would like to spread 200 lbs of 13-13-13 on my fields either Thursday afternoon or Friday morning (hoping for some rain on Friday and Saturday).

Is it to soon? Should I wait? 200lbs to much?

Comment

Question

I would like to spread 200 lbs of 13-13-13 on my fields either Thursday afternoon or Friday morning (hoping for some rain on Friday and Saturday).

Is it to soon? Should I wait? 200lbs to much?
                      Probably not too soon. Don't put it on when dew is on the crop, but the better question is whether you need triple 13 or something else. Only a soil test can tell you that. How much square area you have will determine how much you need. If you did a soil test before I'd go with the same fertilizer that was recommended if your ph is up to snuff. If it's not, you need to amend the soil according to the soil test.

Comment

These peas were planted the Friday before Memorial Day. As you can see, the ph at 6.0 needs a little help. I put the required lime on it back in March but didn't disc it in because I didn't want to kill the wheat and medium red clover that was in it. My hope was to have a clover plot for most of the summer but that was a flop. It made my peas at least two weeks late, maybe three. Nevertheless, I have a good crop growing now if the deer will let them alone for a couple more weeks.

Soil test pic
                        Attached Files

Comment

Peas as of last weekend, and I still had some breaking through the soil.
                          Attached Files

Comment

roller

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            [ATTACH]950361[/ATTACH]

Covered and packed seed beds.
                            Can you get some side pics of that roller/packer you got there? I want to see how that thing is built please
                            thanks

Comment

I didn’t do a soil test before planting, I just added a bunch of lime and 13-13-13.

I still have 200 lbs of 13-13-13 left, which is why I want to use it up.

Comment

Just posted this update on my farm thread but for those of you that don't go there you may find this review interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X