Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooner hunter,

hopefully, there'll be several success stories posted here once the hunts start. You should have cooler weather than mine in mid November.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
      Sooner hunter,

hopefully, there'll be several success stories posted here once the hunts start. You should have cooler weather than mine in mid November.

For sure, I did the early season bow hunt a couple of years ago and it was definitely a tough one. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sooner_hunter View Post
        I was drawn for the rifle hunt in January - anyone else on here drawn for that hunt? 1/18-20?

Not sure if this is the right discussion forum for that or not.

I am pending the second draw. I have hunted the Atascosa for years and have never been drawn for any rifle hunts.

Comment

My wife and I will be there for the 1/4-1/6 rifle hunt. Haven’t been drawn for rifle in years and it’s my wife’s first time down there. It’s definitely a challenging and sometimes rewarding hunt. Just got to watch those ticks and snakes for sure!

Comment

I went out there yesterday. They have had alot of rain. Lot of standing water/ponds. Even water sitting in road ruts.

The grass is thick and about waist tall.

I have heard that the Nilgai like the areas around the salt water..areas 3 5 & 8...anybody know why? would it be something that grows there that they like. Do they roll in the salty area to keep critters off of them(just a WAG ) I guess that xplains why there is not a lot of harvest boards with unit 1 on them...

Comment

I went out there yesterday. They have had alot of rain. Lot of standing water/ponds. Even water sitting in road ruts.

I have heard that the Nilgai like the areas around the salt water..areas 3 5 & 8...anybody know why? would it be something that grows there that they like. Do they roll in the salty area to keep critters off of them(just a WAG ) I guess that xplains why there is not a lot of harvest boards with unit 1 on them...
              Did you go to the look out by the water or did they let you go up the dirt road to unit 8?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nilgai are the only mammal that strictly drink salt water. That’s why they originate from the coast of India that border the Indian Ocean.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                  Nilgai are the only mammal that strictly drink salt water. That’s why they originate from the coast of India that border the Indian Ocean.
                  Ummm...yeah...if you say so.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                    Did you go to the look out by the water or did they let you go up the dirt road to unit 8?

I rode a little ways down county road.

Comment

Ummm...yeah...if you say so.
                      You never know. Someone may believe it lol.

I’ve always figured since they have excellent eyesights and other senses, they prefer hanging in open near brush so they can spot predators from a distance and retreat to cover if needed. On our lease, we don’t have any open areas so the nilgai are always in the brush but generally just one or 2 at a time. Where as down the road from us, there are some open fields where we’ll see herds of 10-20 at a time.

Same thing if you drive from Brownsville to port Isabel and you’ll always see nilgai hanging out right on the edge of the brush or right on the edge of the salt flats.

Comment

[QUOTE

Same thing if you drive from Brownsville to port Isabel and you’ll always see nilgai hanging out right on the edge of the brush or right on the edge of the salt flats.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Seen them many times in the flat behind the HEB in Port Isabel.

Comment

A couple of months ago we saw a group of 17 Nilgai near that area. We pulled over and watched them for quite a while. Almost all cows with their young, then two bulls came into the mix. It was pretty neat to watch them and see how they interacted.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve watched tons of YouTube videos of nilgai in the wild. You could call me an expert of sorts [emoji41]

Comment

When are the second draws taking place?

Comment

Originally posted by mcattc View Post
                                When are the second draws taking place?

Today or tomorrow I believe.

Comment

Working...