Torn Meniscus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torn Meniscus

I am sure some of you guys have had surgery for this. What was the recovery time?

I was herding my cows back in December and twisted my knee. Kept thinking it would get better on its own. It didn't.

Finally went for an MRI last week and have a complete tear of the posterior medial meniscus.

Trying to determine how long I will have to be careful with it after surgery.

Thanks

No help here but I tore mine in high school playing football. Doctor told me I needed surgery and I declined. 20 years later I’m regretting it, I’m sure I’ll sure I’ll be getting surgery in the future.

Comment

Really you’ll always have to be careful with it, at least that’s what you’ll be telling yourself subconsciously anyways.

To answer your question though, it all depends on how well you rehab it. If you do the stretches and when the time is right, start lifting weights appropriately to strengthen that knee, then you’ll return back to normal much sooner than you’d think.

I had the same surgery, ortho so it wasn’t too bad and I was back playing football that same year.

Comment

3 torn meniscus in my life and 3 surgeries

1 - HS Football - Knife and cast, 8 weeks on crutches. Recovery was long due to 8 weeks inaction as lost muscle tone quickly

2 - 40's - Chasing turkey in crocks and it blew up on me - Scoped and fixed. Was on treadmill again inside 1 week

3- 40's - Dragging a deer and it blew up on me - Scope and fixed. Was on treadmill again inside 1 week.
        Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I've had torn meniscus and torn ligaments (ACL, MCL, PCL, and LCL) for years. Got run over by half ton pick-up twenty years ago. Had my ACL replaced three times (yes, three times). Bone on bone another torn ACl and had my knee totally replaced (42 yrs old)

Comment

Surgery-2 days of crutches (sort of). Walked on it at work. Do your PT. I did not and it almost forced me to redo the surgery.

You’ll be better with your Dr.’s advice than mine but 2-3 weeks of reduced stress on it seems to be about what they want. Daughter just had hers done and was on crutches for a week………different Dr.-different approach.
            Last edited by dosrobles; 07-24-2022, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Complete removal of all cartilage. Doc made come walk out of the hospital.

Comment

Mild tear a few years ago. Scoped and playing tennis again with a few weeks. Took a little longer for me to regain full confidence in it.

Comment

Had one knee done in October 2017 and the other done November 2017. Never on crutches but had to take it easy for about 3 1/2 months b4 being released back to work. ( work said back 100% or not at all ). Do your PT and don’t push it for a few days right after surgery. I’m bone on bone now and the next time they work on them most likely will be total replacement.

Comment

I had a complete tear and had the surgery a few months ago. I walked out of the hospital and never needed crutches. The pain on day one was pretty bad but I don’t like taking pain meds. I run a restaurant and was back at work 4 days later and started playing tennis again 3 weeks after surgery. According to my DR you can’t really do any damage by being active as soon as you feel comfortable. It is still a little sore after a few hours of tennis but improving every day.

Also my dr set me up with a company that delivered a machine that had a knee wrap that was cooled by the machine. Made it much easier than icing down all the time.

Comment

Tore mine in high school. Doc scoped it and removed all the torn cartilage. Walked out of the hospital and was back on the football field in 3 weeks. It has never been 100% since and hurts every day, but it doesn't keep me from doing what I want to do. Also if they repair the cartilage vs removal you are looking at a much longer recovery. Best of luck!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Get it fixed. I put my surgery off for about 2 years. Had surgery and had to be in a wheel chair for 6 weeks with no leg movement. Good luck!

Comment

Had mine done about 5 years ago. Off the tennis court for 6 weeks.

Mine has gotten bad again. Just got an injection last week. I’m sure surgery # 2 is close.

Comment

Torn ACL, MCL, PCL & meniscus. 6 surgeries between 99&2000 Told I would need a replacement. Tore meniscus again in 2012 had surgery number 7 walked out of the hospital and started PT a few days later back to normal within 3 weeks no issues ever since. Have been elk hunting and play in a mens basketball league still. I’m 40 in 2 months. Get it scoped and you will be good to go in no time flat.

Comment

Working...
                              X