Outfitter blues…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outfitter blues…

We booked an elk hunt for my dad and I last August for this coming October. Outfitter entered us in AZ and NM draws for elk and mule deer, but we knew we would not likely draw as it was our first year. That being said, they offered a guaranteed tag in Colorado. Fast forward to this past Friday, I finally spoke to the outfitter on the phone, after trying to contact him since April. He says he’s not doing the Colorado hunts this year now, because “I can’t put my integrity or conscience on the line”. Basically, the area he was hunting there has gone to [emoji90], according to him, but “we can get you a NM muzzle loader hunt for $12k”. The sure thing hunt we thought we signed up for would’ve been about $7k. My dad will be 72 this fall and has asbestosis, so we’re not sure how long he’ll be able to handle a mountain hunt. Is there anybody that knows a hunt that we could book on short notice for this fall? My dad doesn’t have 10 years left to try and draw. At this point, I’m willing to just tag along on his hunt or shoot a cow, just to be able to make the memories while he’s able. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price might be high but Ranching for Wildlife properties in Colorado do not have a draw. I would call all of the elk outfits and inquire.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife is a nationally recognized leader in conservation, outdoor recreation and wildlife management. The agency​ manages 42 state parks, all of Colorado's wildlife, more than 300 state wildlife areas and a host of recreational programs. CPW issues hunting and fishing licenses, conducts research to improve wildlife management activities, protects high priority wildlife habitat through acquisitions and partnerships, provides technical assistance to private and other public landowners concerning wildlife and habitat management and develops programs to understand, protect and recover threatened and endangered species.

Comment

12k for a NM mule deer tag……bonkers.
      Hope you find a great alternative

Comment

Can’t put his integrity on the line but you’ve been trying to reach him since April?

Comment

Originally posted by DKirk View Post
          Can’t put his integrity on the line but you’ve been trying to reach him since April?

Exactly. I’ve tried to be patient, to my own fault. He says he’s willing to give us a full refund on our deposit, so we’ll see what happens this week. The most important thing to me right now is to get my dad his bucket list bull.

Comment

Why not look into an Antelope hunt in NM, or other states. plenty of tags and would be easy on your dad. plenty of good options IMO

Comment

Originally posted by chocolatelabs View Post
              Why not look into an Antelope hunt in NM, or other states. plenty of tags and would be easy on your dad. plenty of good options IMO

Because he’s been on several elk hunts, all but one being archery, back in the 80’s, 90’s and 2000, and never taken an elk. He’s killed mule deer with his bow, one big muley with a rifle in CO back in 2000, but not an elk.

Comment

How about a West Texas elk hunt ? Probably be easier on your Dad. I have no idea on cost but I would peruse the THF and see what I could find. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  How about a West Texas elk hunt ? Probably be easier on your Dad. I have no idea on cost but I would peruse the THF and see what I could find. Good luck !

That’s an option I’m looking into as well, but cost can get crazy real quick. I’ve seen some in the $13k-$15k range, and I’m sure there are some even higher than that.

Comment

Steve’s outdoors adventures usually has RFW hunts and several others well within your budget.

Comment

There’s a company running ads for a combo moose and elk hunt in Canada for $7500. Having a hard time getting people across because Of the vaccine mandate.

I know absolutely nothing about the outfit only saw it on the book.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Steve’s outdoors adventures usually has RFW hunts and several others well within your budget.

Thanks, Matt.

Comment

Urge2hunt has recently updated our available hunt list for the 2022 season, and most hunts below offer guaranteed tags. Hunts are being booked very early already, so we highly recommend reserving dates and hunts now. Some hunts do include food and lodging and state tag and license fees a...

Comment

I’ll call a buddy of mine out in NM and see what he has. He’s a outfitter out there.

Comment

He’s already shown his “integrity!” I’d have asked for my deposit back the second he answered the phone.

Comment

Working...
                              X