East Texas Timber Lease questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas Timber Lease questions

When timber companies are planning to clear cut a property, do they notify the lease holder/lease manager? Does it matter if they're cutting a large portion of it?

If they do clear cut a large portion of the property, is there usually a change in lease fee?

They usually tell..If they do areas and not others its best..But if they clear timber and let alone a a few good rains that fresh new growth deer will be all over it..Get on a timber edge and get high you will see more deer than ever...Deer dont eat Pine or needles so They will do Hunters a favor with all that new growth...Ya just gota figger out to hunt it...Now if they do it during Hunt season can make some hunters mad....

As far as reduce lease price...never seen such...they only Go UP
    Last edited by cva34; 11-03-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I will notify our lease manager to notify the hunting club when I have a logger moving onto a tract of timber. Usually there is not much time between hearing they are moving on and they start cutting. As to the price, it depends on the size of the block and what percentage of the property is getting clearcut but usually there is no discount. Clearcuts and young plantation are a good thing for wildlife.

Comment

Our lease is not timber company property per se, but the owners have lots of land and it’s all in timber. They have heavily thinned ours the last three years. They don’t tell us, we just go out there and it’s happening. It actually has made the habitat better though. They did it in sections and now we have three stages of browse coming on. They’re not supposed to be back for three years, and I hope that’s so because the next time it’s gonna impact my area big time.

Comment

No notification in my experience. I showed up in April at my place and there was equipment and everywhere clearing a big red clay hill that I hunt behind. The timber company decided they could profit more by selling dirt than waiting on the pine to mature. The whole project has effected about 100 acres that I can’t hunt and there was no discount. They are still in there today. Hauling about 100 loads a day. It sucks but it’s a really good property and after 4 years I have a very good deer population so I just roll with it.
          Last edited by Gumbo Man; 11-03-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Not trying to hijack but on a side note how does one go about finding openings on paper company land? I remember back in the day they actually had a "hunting" tab on their websites but don't anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-J View Post
              Not trying to hijack but on a side note how does one go about finding openings on paper company land? I remember back in the day they actually had a "hunting" tab on their websites but don't anymore.
              Here you go...none showing in Texas at the moment..

Comment

They thinned the lease I have with them this year. Took out every 4th row and made a few small clear cuts where they loaded. I have seen more deer this year than the 10 years previous but its always been a pretty good property. They did email me a week before that they were gonna do a thinning and map of what was getting thinned.

Comment

We own a small tract of land(60 acres) between Woodville and Dam B off of FM 1746 that is surrounded by paper company land and two years on the Friday before the general rifle season opened they were clearing right in front of our property line and really tore up the roads with their heavy logging equipment.

Paper companies don't really care if it is hunting season or not. They somewhat repaired the roads after they were done.

Comment

The best years I have had are the years that they cut timber.

Comment

They tell us. And when they clear cut the price always goes up

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends on the Forester Company. Ours do not tell us. We can stop and talk to the loggers and they will let us know whats next, but no discounts. I don't mind the logging, its the mess they leave behind. Most of the time its not passable even with a 4 wheeler. Its part of timber company leases and always will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                          They tell us. And when they clear cut the price always goes up

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

The price goes up no matter what they do.

Comment

Eagles405 is spot on. We generally contact if we know. They usually see us out there setting it up and call.

Originally posted by AM Cloutier View Post
                            We own a small tract of land(60 acres) between Woodville and Dam B off of FM 1746 that is surrounded by paper company land and two years on the Friday before the general rifle season opened they were clearing right in front of our property line and really tore up the roads with their heavy logging equipment.

Paper companies don't really care if it is hunting season or not. They somewhat repaired the roads after they were done.
                            John Hancock or Hancock forest management has the land around your tract. They are not a “paper company”. The paper mills own very little if any land. That’s why they don’t care if it is hunting season because they don’t own the land.

Comment

My last paper lease they didn't tell us. They just showed up with John Deer's at 5am and drove within 30 feet of our tents and started setting up shop. Kinda one of those "Am I Dreaming?" moments.

Comment

Working...
                              X