No announcement yet.

25-06 bullet weight & type advise needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to come back and update this. Keep in mind this a 22" barrel with a 1:10" twist, but here's what I experienced so far with the 117 American Whitetails:

- 1st two shots are always sub-MOA. But obviously I've had to shoot more than two rounds at a time because a) I was "breaking in" the barrel; and then b) moving on to trying to sight it in. At 25 yards the first two rounds go through the same hole, and at 50 they're touching.
    - After the 2nd shot the groups start opening up, and after the 4th and 5th shots it's considerable, mostly stringing left and/or down.
    - Given how freakin' hot it's been it may very well be that the barrel is hot (and perhaps I'm bit fatigued), though I've tried everything from putting an ice pack on the barrel for up to 5 minutes, or just generally letting it sit for up to 20 minutes.

So with that in mind it's occurred to me that this gun simply does not do well with these 117 grain bullets, so I've ordered some 100 Barnes TTX's and will try those. If I can get my hands on some 100 grain Core Lokts I may also try those too, but if anybody has any thoughts on the matter that may help me out I'm all ears.
    Last edited by Etxbuckman; 08-16-2022, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Odd. I have a 22” barrel and a 26” barrel 25/06 and they’ll both throw the 117’s very very accurate. But I admittedly don’t know the twist of the 22” barrel rifle. I would think it’s standard twist though.

Also, keep in mind that with mono bullets they run longer than a lead based bullet so I believe that 100 grain is going to act like a heavier grain lead bullet.

But, that 100 grain core lokt would likely be night and day.

Comment

I wouldn’t totally dismiss the heavier lead bullets either just off one brand. You may find the 120 core lokts shoot better. Never know

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          I wanted to come back and update this. Keep in mind this a 22" barrel with a 1:10" twist, but here's what I experienced so far with the 117 American Whitetails:

- 1st two shots are always sub-MOA. But obviously I've had to shoot more than two rounds at a time because a) I was "breaking in" the barrel; and then b) moving on to trying to sight it in. At 25 yards the first two rounds go through the same hole, and at 50 they're touching.
          - After the 2nd shot the groups start opening up, and after the 4th and 5th shots it's considerable, mostly stringing left and/or down.
          - Given how freakin' hot it's been it may very well be that the barrel is hot (and perhaps I'm bit fatigued), though I've tried everything from putting an ice pack on the barrel for up to 5 minutes, or just generally letting it sit for up to 20 minutes.

So with that in mind it's occurred to me that this gun simply does not do well with these 117 grain bullets, so I've ordered some 100 Barnes TTX's and will try those. If I can get my hands on some 100 grain Core Lokts I may also try those too, but if anybody has any thoughts on the matter that may help me out I'm all ears.

I've had no issues with the standard barrel. Handled 120 grn Grand Slams very well, killed several deer with it. Check the Classifieds on here, I still have a few boxes of bullets left to sell since I no longer have that rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
            It's all due to twist rates and why you do not see 140 grain bullets in 25 cals.

Starting to take form with berger offering 133/135 grain, but your standard twist rate will not work. You will need 1-7.5/8 twist.

Back to OP, 100-110 grain pills will work great!
            Has more to do with magazine and chamber length.

Comment

100 gr Nosler BT's if you're not concerned with meat damage, 110 gr Nosler AB if you are.

Comment

Originally posted by texasbbq View Post
                100 gr Nosler BT's if you're not concerned with meat damage, 110 gr Nosler AB if you are.
                Do they make a 100 grain BT in 25-06? All I can find is 115.

Comment

I have had a 25-06 for 12 or so years and remember trying several different rounds but can't remember what they were. I settled on Hornady 117 gr SST and been shooting them since then, they have done well.

Comment

110 Accubonds or Sierra TGK

Comment

So I’ve got another update here. I acquired some 100 grain Barnes TTSX bullets and was able to get the gun sighted in 1” high at a 100 yards, which is what I wanted.

At the same time I also brought a DIY barrel cooler that made a huge difference in terms of cooling the barrel down quickly and effectively, so that probably helped.

Given the fact that I didn’t have the barrel cooler when I was shooting the 117 grain American Whitetail bullets it’s entirely possible those shots were erratic because the barrel was too warm. Nevertheless I am much more than happy with the results I’ve got now, so we’re going to run with these for at least this season. At some point though I will get a 24 or 26 inch barrel with a 1:10 twist, and the heavier bullets will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X