Venice Louisiana inshore fishing ????'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venice Louisiana inshore fishing ????'s

GS, have heard about the great inshore fishery around Venice. I was wondering how difficult it is to haul your own rig down there and spend several days trying to catch fish? I know many of you make guided trips and have your favorites. With limited income I would love to hire a guide for a day or two, then strike out on my own. I have never used a fishing guide in my life and wonder would it be underhanded to return to places they take us, or is the whole area around Venice an area fairly easy to learn? Thanks a bunch.

I wouldn’t, there is ALOT of underwater obstacles that you can’t see. In some areas it’s like a maze, and GPS really doesn’t help because there is tons of erosion going on down there so we’re is shows there is land there’s actually no land.

Comment

There is a ton of ares to fish you can literally get lost down there.There are a ton of obstacles and under water obstructions the last several years of hurricanes have deposited things every where.If you stay in main channels and just troll into good looking fishing spots you can be ok.Just don’t run across a deep looking spot it’s a minefield.Also I’d be careful refishing a guides spot those Cajuns are good folks but can be very temperamental.

Comment

We talked to a guide and told him what we were trying to do. We asked him to take us to some places that we could get to ourselves and catch some fish. We paid him for his knowledge and he helped us without giving up his honey holes. This was several years ago, but if you are honest with them about your intentions, you might be able to do it too. Never hurts to ask

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff Dog View Post
          We talked to a guide and told him what we were trying to do. We asked him to take us to some places that we could get to ourselves and catch some fish. We paid him for his knowledge and he helped us without giving up his honey holes. This was several years ago, but if you are honest with them about your intentions, you might be able to do it too. Never hurts to ask
          I think that is the only way to be. Would have to do some phone calling ahead of time for sure.

Comment

We did it last year.. Rented a floating cabin in Cypress Cove Marina, put the boats in the water on a Thursday morning and didn't trailer them until the following Monday.

We ran all over the place and never had an issue, there are plenty of hazards there, just got to follow other boats the 1st day at least when running passes.

When in the marsh, don't get in a hurry, it can and will got from 4' to 6" and you'll be wading with the gators trying to push the boat free...

Shoot me a PM if you wish and I'll answer any other questions I can.

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
              We did it last year.. Rented a floating cabin in Cypress Cove Marina, put the boats in the water on a Thursday morning and didn't trailer them until the following Monday.

We ran all over the place and never had an issue, there are plenty of hazards there, just got to follow other boats the 1st day at least when running passes.

When in the marsh, don't get in a hurry, it can and will got from 4' to 6" and you'll be wading with the gators trying to push the boat free...

Shoot me a PM if you wish and I'll answer any other questions I can.
              Thanks, will do. Was the fishing as good as they say?

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
                Thanks, will do. Was the fishing as good as they say?
                They don't just jump in the boat for ya, but when its good, well it is off the charts good. We fished 4 days and had 2 great days and 2 were a grind to find & catch fish...

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
                  They don't just jump in the boat for ya, but when its good, well it is off the charts good. We fished 4 days and had 2 great days and 2 were a grind to find & catch fish...
                  /thanks. Was looking at October as I heard when the water starts to cool the reds, flounder and specks turn on.

Comment

If I was doing a trip without a guide, I would Kaun have at Cocodrie. When the tide is in, that marsh fills up with reds.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      If I was doing a trip without a guide, I would Kaun have at Cocodrie. When the tide is in, that marsh fills up with reds.
                      Don't understand the phrase Kaun have? Sorry

Comment

We fished 6 days in late May this year. Fished the near rigs first day, hired guides the second day, then fished on our own 4 days. Did good on the rigs, ok with the guide and 3 days on our own. Then the last day on our own was fantastic! We didn’t care for the guides spots, just the how to navigate and best method to fish.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                          We fished 6 days in late May this year. Fished the near rigs first day, hired guides the second day, then fished on our own 4 days. Did good on the rigs, ok with the guide and 3 days on our own. Then the last day on our own was fantastic! We didn’t care for the guides spots, just the how to navigate and best method to fish.
                          I will only have a 17ft. Backcountry skiff so not even thinking of getting away from land and probably working the marsh and small bays.

Comment

I will only have a 17ft. Backcountry skiff so not even thinking of getting away from land and probably working the marsh and small bays.
                            We only went to the close rig’s because the weather was perfect. Matter of fact, the entire week was great weather. We kinda deserved the weather, as last years trip was terrible weather wise and fishing……

Comment

Don't understand the phrase Kaun have? Sorry
                              Me either. I meant to say put in. Have no clue how spell correct got there.

Comment

Working...
                              X