anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    Exactly what I said. And I disagree with your prior statement. It’s west Texas. It gets dry AF every summer.

2019 from what I’ve read was the worst outbreak ever. This was the first time the ranch I’m on had been hit. Further west it seems to hit more frequently. I hope it never hits again lol. But I joined knowing we are rebuilding. Just curious how everyone was coming along is all. Not wanting to debate.
    Yeah if you don’t have a good attitude hunting out there, you’re better off staying farther East out of the anthrax zone .
    Deer hunting is a continuous rebuilding process IMO

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
      Yeah if you don’t have a good attitude hunting out there, you’re better off staying farther East out of the anthrax zone .
      Deer hunting is a continuous rebuilding process IMO
      Yes sir. I think it’ll come out better. Hoping axis numbers blow up too

Comment

Exactly what I said. And I disagree with your prior statement. It’s west Texas. It gets dry AF every summer.

2019 from what I’ve read was the worst outbreak ever. This was the first time the ranch I’m on had been hit. Further west it seems to hit more frequently. I hope it never hits again lol. But I joined knowing we are rebuilding. Just curious how everyone was coming along is all. Not wanting to debate.
        I've hunted 6 miles north of Loma Alta for close to 30 years. 2000 was the worst year we had and wiped us clean. We didn't lose any in 2019. It honestly took about 2 years and you never knew we were hit by anthrax.

As far as having an outbreak it takes ideal conditions and they have to be **** near perfect to have a major outbreak. Moisture in the early spring and then super hot weather. If you have a rain when the spores are coming out of the ground it will wash them back down. We have had what seemed to be the ideal conditions but had a rain and not one dead deer from antrax.

Comment

Preceded means "comes before." If big rains come and break the current drought, those rains will have been preceded by this drought and the chances of anthrax goes up. I haven't suggested that has already happened, but at some point, rains will come and I hope there's not another bad outbreak. Whether you disagree or not, that's in the plain language of the article from TAMU that I quoted above.

I have hunted VV County and Northern Kinney County so I'm familiar with drought and anthrax. The buck in my avatar is from VV county. I commented in this thread that I was hoping not to start hearing about anthrax again because its bad news. But I don't hunt out there anymore so I don't have a dog in this fight. This makes me remember why I don't post on here much.

Comment

Yesterday evening, Kinney county

As fas as the anthrax outbreak goes, this little sliver eastish of Brackettville got skipped last outbreak.
            Buck wise- I passed on a hum dinger passing through last year, 20 seconds to decide and I hesitated too long. Second biggest rack I’ve seen while hunting.

Refilled feeders yesterday, call cam has two does in.
            After this lunch break I’ll get the other going.

We still have cows in the place, so some trough water is still flowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
              Preceded means "comes before." If big rains come and break the current drought, those rains will have been preceded by this drought and the chances of anthrax goes up. I haven't suggested that has already happened, but at some point, rains will come and I hope there's not another bad outbreak. Whether you disagree or not, that's in the plain language of the article from TAMU that I quoted above.

I have hunted VV County and Northern Kinney County so I'm familiar with drought and anthrax. The buck in my avatar is from VV county. I commented in this thread that I was hoping not to start hearing about anthrax again because its bad news. But I don't hunt out there anymore so I don't have a dog in this fight. This makes me remember why I don't post on here much.
              No reason to get your feathers ruffled amigo. We can disagree and be civil. Appreciate the input.

Comment

We had major damage and lost a lot of our best bucks. Including two breeder bucks we purchased as fawns and were 6 when died and monsters We found 10-12 huge nice bucks. Only found 1 wt doe, 2 axis bucks and 1 Bb. The entire ranch stunk of death and this was what we found just riding around. We have bounced back very good. We have at least 3 mature bucks this year that are we think 4.5 -6.5. I shot a really nice buck this week there I posted here on TBh and we have some more great ones approved to take and seeing deer of all ages. But we have been patient

Carta valley - Edwards County

This is one of the bucks below we purchased as a fawn and tagged and turned loose. We did 5 that way. One (mine) disappeared year one. 4 made it to year 2 and then lost two more. Then ended up with 2 total that made it year to year! Lost both of these to anthrax and a lot of our best mature native bucks

I assume the buck I killed was out of this one’s genes …..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X