No announcement yet.

Anyone else getting water to the critters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

most of the water sources have dried up at my lease. Do have a sping fed creek near owners house.

Here at home I put out at a 275 tote with float valve in a tub nearby. Only water source around here. Have lots of critters using it.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txlawdog View Post
        Agreed, it's not fun to haul water but like you say no water no or fewer animals.

It’s a Red Lion brand. Not sure if the size though. It’s going on year 6 with it, so we got our moneys worth out of it. Lol
        It’s one similar to this one.

Comment

We have a creek through part of our ranch and landowner has drilled multiple wells in each pasture and besides having a tank they also let us have a dirt tank.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
            It’s a Red Lion brand. Not sure if the size though. It’s going on year 6 with it, so we got our moneys worth out of it. Lol

Comment

Thank you, been trying to decide on 12 volt, 110, or gas motor. I have a gas trash pump but that thing is a beast to use just on one tank of water. You could fight fires with that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by txlawdog View Post
                Thank you, been trying to decide on 12 volt, 110, or gas motor. I have a gas trash pump but that thing is a beast to use just on one tank of water. You could fight fires with that thing.

Lol. I bet so. We have a trailer with 2 totes that we fill and make our rounds. We use 4-6 totes to fill everyone up depending on how low the water is

Comment

This is the pump I use. Bought it from Tractor Supply. It sure makes it easier to fill totes, but it’s still not something I want to do. I just don’t have a water source close enough to me to keep the deer around.

Comment

We just leave a water hose and float switch on our 8ft trough so it stays full year round in kerrville. Im about to put water at my feeder in junction. It will be a bit more of a challenge.

Comment

Last weekend. Just using a drill pump to shift the water, gives me time to cut a little brush while it runs.

Comment

I put a water trough out by my fence & dug down a couple of feet to place it. That way the little fawns can reach it too.

It’s not so far that I can fill it with a water hose from the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We have well water in troughs scattered across the 2400 acres so we are never without but a couple of us do give it to them at several pens to try to keep them around more instead of them having have to walk so far or across the fence to the neighbors on some areas of the ranch where water is closer across the fence. We have been keeping them full since 2014 so the deer in the area of several of our pens have gotten used to it being there.. Been filling them from the trailer with a Harbor Freight 2" clear water pump. 2014 to now and it runs like a champ as long as we drain the ethanol free fuel at the bowl and the water in the pump area before we leave each time. It will drop a 275 gallon tote in just under 3 minutes. They are now under the Predator label but they look exactly the same. I think we paid $150 after coupon. They are $269 now with zero coupons available. if it blew up tomorrow, we got our moneys worth an them some.

PREDATOR 2 in. 212cc Gasoline Engine Semi-Trash Water Pump - 158 GPM - Item 63405 / 56160 https://hftools.com/app63405

Honestly the more I think about it, it's a royal time consuming pain in the *** at times and hard on equipment. I'm on the fence about retiring from the water rodeo myself... but everything in the area uses it and makes for some cool trail cam pics and hunts. I'm just not sure its as big as an attractant as I thought all these years. Its more of a bonus. They are there for the feed. Folks without water in their pen kill good deer as well.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Smart; 07-23-2022, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            We have well water in troughs scattered across the 2400 acres so we are never without but a couple of us do give it to them at several pens to try to keep them around more instead of them having have to walk so far or across the fence to the neighbors on some areas of the ranch where water is closer across the fence. We have been keeping them full since 2014 so the deer in the area of several of our pens have gotten used to it being there.. Been filling them from the trailer with a Harbor Freight 2" clear water pump. 2014 to now and it runs like a champ as long as we drain the ethanol free fuel at the bowl and the water in the pump area before we leave each time. It will drop a 275 gallon tote in just under 3 minutes. They are now under the Predator label but they look exactly the same. I think we paid $150 after coupon. They are $229 now with zero coupons available. if it blew up tomorrow, we got our moneys worth an them some.

Honestly the more I think about it, it's a royal time consuming pain in the *** at times and hard on equipment. I'm on the fence about retiring from the water rodeo myself... but everything in the area uses it and makes for some cool trail cam pics and hunts. I'm just not sure its as big as an attractant as I thought all these years. Its more of a bonus. They are there for the feed. Folks without water in their pen kill good deer as well.

Those painted on trees is what attracts the deer there, not the water. They come there and say- what the hell is that?? [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Comment

Those painted on trees is what attracts the deer there, not the water. They come there and say- what the hell is that?? [emoji1787][emoji1787]

I had some left over paint and a wet roller from my blind [emoji23]. Drunk turkey tracks [emoji12][emoji23]

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0232 (Medium).JPG
Views:	9
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	24687884
                              Last edited by Smart; 07-23-2022, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I was wrong, it was Harbor Freight not Tractor Supply

Comment

Working...
                                X