Austin Restaurant Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
    Lonesome Dove is outstanding for high end dining. Highly recommend the elk loin and wild boar ribs (I thought it was dumb when we ordered them, but man they know how to fix em).

Great call on Lonesome Dove. We had an outstanding meal here last month. The Elk-Foie Gras Sliders with Blueberry Jam was my favorite. I liked how you could order the appetizers in however many pieces you wanted. If you don't do dinner here, I could see this as a pre dinner drinks / appetizer stop downtown.

Comment

If you don't mind driving then Steiner Ranch Steak house is pretty bad arse, also right down the road from it is a new Shuck Me seafood joint, I think it is pretty good but I may be a little bias.

Comment

Pint House Brewing on Ben White is nice with some fun food (different from their pizza places).
        And just down the road is "Meantime" brewing. My brother checked this place out and liked it.

Comment

Lunch
          Chuy’s Mexican
          Dirty Martin’s-Burgers
          Jew Boys-burgers
          The Tavern-bar food and burgers

Dinner
          Lonesome Dove-wild game (reservations)
          Austin Land and Cattle (reservations)
          Steiner Ranch-lake view (reservations)
          Fonda San Miguel-interior Mexican (reservations NOW)
          -order the duck enchiladas
          Moonshine-casual
          Vince Young Steakhouse (happy hour sirloin burger)
          Guerros on s. Congress (atmosphere and freak watching)

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
            Enchiladas y Mas and Amaya's Taco Village for lunch. Good greasy tex mex. Cheese enchiladas with chile con carne and onions.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
            Did Y Mas come back?

Comment

Surprised no one else has mentioned it. Haven't been there in a while but always enjoyed Moonshine's a lot.

Comment

Oops, didn't see that dosrobles had just posted it.

Comment

Habanero's on Oltorf is my favorite Mexican Breakfast in town (Roberto's Special for the win).

My sister is the sous chef at Lutie's at the Commodore Perry, and it is out of this world but very hard to get a reservation. I'd call not book online and it will probably be late.

Ox, Portland, pdx, foodie, chef, james beard, dining, entertainment, cookbook, greg denton, gabi denton, greg and gabi denton, gabi quiñónez, around the fire, wood fired, grill, global cuisine, award, nomination, amuse-bouche, celebrity chef, grand opening, oxpdx, superbitepdx, superbite, west end, downtown portland, downtown dining, downtown restaurant, Grüner, Kurt Huffman, chefstable, kask, cocktail bar, craft cocktail, beer, wine, spirits, cocktail list, second restaurant, Food and Wine, best new chefs, greg and gabi, historic west end, alder st, gabrielle denton, gabrielle quiñónez denton, nico, mabel, portland food, SW Portland, southwest restaurant, southwest dining, sentinel hotel, hotel deluxe, provenance hotels, gourmet, avant-garde, superbites, fresh, local ingredients, flavor, Portland’s best new chef, top 5

If you go to Lutie's, these are must haves, though things can vary because their menu changes constantly. I have never had anything that wasn't outstanding.

Small plates:
                  Estate Bread
                  Grand Aioli

Entrees:
                  Delta Blues Rice, Market Fish
                  Yonderway Pork, pickled cabbage
                  If you see Bastrop Antelope (that is Nilgai) get that because it is crazy good.

Dessert:
                  Kouign Amann Ice Cream

I'd second Dai Due for lunch or dinner as well as Dai Due Taqueria. Jessie Griffiths does some really cool stuff.

Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ down on Manchaca is a different look at BBQ. Great place for breakfast tacos or lunch.
                  Last edited by El General; 07-07-2022, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                    Thanks BOB.
                    Nothing against you you I just love messing with the Louisiana boys on here about various cuisines.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Mean eyed cat, for bar. Out of the chaos but still downtown with parking.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Red Ash. Friday pork chop special at ? Can’t remember which steakhouse but it’s the one in the old bank building

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                          Habanero's on Oltorf is my favorite Mexican Breakfast in town (Roberto's Special for the win).

My sister is the sous chef at Lutie's at the Commodore Perry, and it is out of this world but very hard to get a reservation. I'd call not book online and it will probably be late.

Ox, Portland, pdx, foodie, chef, james beard, dining, entertainment, cookbook, greg denton, gabi denton, greg and gabi denton, gabi quiñónez, around the fire, wood fired, grill, global cuisine, award, nomination, amuse-bouche, celebrity chef, grand opening, oxpdx, superbitepdx, superbite, west end, downtown portland, downtown dining, downtown restaurant, Grüner, Kurt Huffman, chefstable, kask, cocktail bar, craft cocktail, beer, wine, spirits, cocktail list, second restaurant, Food and Wine, best new chefs, greg and gabi, historic west end, alder st, gabrielle denton, gabrielle quiñónez denton, nico, mabel, portland food, SW Portland, southwest restaurant, southwest dining, sentinel hotel, hotel deluxe, provenance hotels, gourmet, avant-garde, superbites, fresh, local ingredients, flavor, Portland’s best new chef, top 5

If you go to Lutie's, these are must haves, though things can vary because their menu changes constantly. I have never had anything that wasn't outstanding.

Small plates:
                          Estate Bread
                          Grand Aioli

Entrees:
                          Delta Blues Rice, Market Fish
                          Yonderway Pork, pickled cabbage
                          If you see Bastrop Antelope (that is Nilgai) get that because it is crazy good.

Dessert:
                          Kouign Amann Ice Cream

I'd second Dai Due for lunch or dinner as well as Dai Due Taqueria. Jessie Griffiths does some really cool stuff.

Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ down on Manchaca is a different look at BBQ. Great place for breakfast tacos or lunch.
                          My girlfriend got us a reservation at Lutie's and i have to admit i didn't think it would be a place i liked, but the food was incredible. It is high end and hard to get it in.

Jew Boy subs and burgers are both really good for greasy lunch spots.

For seafood, Perla's, Clark's or Mongers are all really good. If you did want BBQ and not wait in line, check out Stiles Switch.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                            If you don't mind driving then Steiner Ranch Steak house is pretty bad arse, also right down the road from it is a new Shuck Me seafood joint, I think it is pretty good but I may be a little bias.
                            Second Steiner Ranch. Get reservations and go for the weekend brunch. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Austin has some great options, and I'll try to give a few that maybe haven't been mentioned:

Dai Due - I saw this mentioned earlier for lunch, but it is also incredible for dinner. Nice and intimate atmosphere, and I would definitely recommend reservations.
                              Uchi - If you like sushi this is the place. Hands down the best meal I've ever had! I always do the 10 course chef pick option, and I've yet to be disappointed. I would also highly recommend reservations.
                              Titaya's Thai Cuisine - This is kind of an out of the way hole in the wall Thai place, but it is incredible and worth checking out if you like Thai food.
                              DeSano Pizzeria Napoletana - Great pizza! Tried this place the last time I was down and will definitely be back.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                                For the win indeed. Be prepared to speak Spanish.

Comment

Working...
                                X