Testify!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
    I came to Christ when I was 23. A very dramatic conversion. Then I read the Bible. I am now an atheist.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s a shame sir. Care to share?

Comment

I came to Christ when I was 23. A very dramatic conversion. Then I read the Bible. I am now an atheist.

Jason

Jason how in the world could that happen?

Comment

Jason

If you truly came to Christ, what about His word turned you away from Him?
        I'm curious, because when I came to Christ, everything He has spoken in the bible has been nothing but truth and blessing in my life.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s a matter of perspective whether it’s a shame. I’m rather grateful that I have come to my conclusions, but I understand where you would think that.

Not sure what to share, it was a very long process that took decades. Long story short, it was my yearning for truth that led me to my convictions. I understand this isn’t a very popular one, especially on a hunting site in Texas, lol. I will say this, I am not anti-Christian, and I share similar values as most Christians so we would be lock step concerning most moral issues, but it was my long, in-depth study of the Scriptures that led me to conclude they are in no way “Divine” in nature or come from any “God”., and hence Christianity is not any sense an absolute truth, nor is it’s story of a divine savior true or trustworthy

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Bro. Bill View Post
            Jason how in the world could that happen?

One page at a time

Comment

I grew up as church of Christy and a pretty much fire and brimstone kinda preaching. I went to church pretty much cuz mama made me. It was more of a social thing for me. I went to church camps and got baptised because everyone else was doing it.

Fast forward to getting married at the age of 19 to my beautiful bride, I almost lost her and our first born son because I decided that talking to other women online was more important while I was deployed. I knew for sure it was over and they were gone. The pain in her voice was more than I could bare and for a short time I didn't care if the next attack we went though took me out or not.

I knew I needed to change so I started going to church while deployed. It was hard to make it work with my schedule but I knew I needed to flip a switch and change. I got baptized in Iraq (and actually knew why this time) I went home about a month later on midtour leave in hopes to repair my marriage. My wife was skeptical when we would talk on the phone but who could blame her. Once I finally made it home to her and my oldest son, I spent the next two weeks trying to show her I had changed. Luckily she is more of a God fearing human than I and knew the God in me was stronger than ever before.

Fast forward to today and we have been married 18yrs as of yesterday and have been walking with christ ever since. All thanks to my beautiful bride for saving my life.

Comment

It’s a matter of perspective whether it’s a shame. I’m rather grateful that I have come to my conclusions, but I understand where you would think that.

Not sure what to share, it was a very long process that took decades. Long story short, it was my yearning for truth that led me to my convictions. I understand this isn’t a very popular one, especially on a hunting site in Texas, lol. I will say this, I am not anti-Christian, and I share similar values as most Christians so we would be lock step concerning most moral issues, but it was my long, in-depth study of the Scriptures that led me to conclude they are in no way “Divine” in nature or come from any “God”., and hence Christianity is not any sense an absolute truth, nor is it’s story of a divine savior true or trustworthy

Jason

Thank you for sharing your views.. all I can say is what God done for me.
                Be blessed

Comment

Strange how God works sometimes.

I was saved at 12years old. I knew I wanted Jesus as my savior, but I thought that just meant, when I get older I'd go to church every now and then. I ran from God most of my life. Well... I wouldn't say run, but I jogged. I was a "good guy". I tried to live by my rules, on my schedule, and always seemed to be a day late and a dollar short. I never got into anything bad, other than a little underage drinking and maybe some hunting that may, or may not have been frowned upon by the GW's. I thought things were going OK until I split with my 1st wife. I didn't understand why it happened until years later. I spent the next 17 years beating my head against the wall, thinking I controlled my destiny. Funny, I remember when I first got on TBH, I thought it was weird to see men on a bow hunting site openly ask for prayer. (Little did I know, seeds were being sown)

It wasn't until my daughter was about 7 that being a "good guy" just wasn't going to cut it anymore. My wife said something to me that finally clicked. She said "little Girls pick husbands that remind them of their Daddies." I didn't want my daughter picking a "good guy" as a husband. I want her to pick a Godly man so my grand daughter would know what type of man to look for. Up until then, I had never thought about being the spiritual leader for my family. I wish I had realized the importance of that role as a husband and farther.

That is the initial motivation that started me on my journey for a better relationship with Jesus Christ. My kids are very important to me and I want the best for them. The example I was setting wasn't good enough.

So I start trying to go to church more often. We went here and there, but it still wasn't natural thing to get up Sunday morning and want to go to church.
                  We moved around and tried a few different churches but didn't find one that fit, so we faded back to old habits.

Then we had a boating accident on lake Livingston. A freak storm came out of nowhere and sunk our 16ft jon boat. I almost lost my whole family, but by the grace of God we all made it. Started looking for another church but ultimately faded back into old habits. Then hurricane Harvey hit, and by the grace of God we were spared. My daughter asked my wife if they could find a place to volunteer, to help people that were flooded. They ended up at the church we serve at now. I'd like to say it was just the right time but really, it was just stupid me finally opening my eyes.

We started attending and serving. We met a lot of people and we joined a homegroup. Funny how God used a couple of storms to prepare me and put people in my life for a bigger storm to come.

May 18, 2018, my son Clay was shot at Santa Fe High School. God was with him that day and saved him. For the next year I went through so many different emotions. Nothing I could do eased my anxiety. Clay lived with my Ex and we rarely communicated. I constantly worried about how he was doing. Worry and anxiety controlled me and it was driving a wedge between Clay and I. Heck, everyone and I. I finally got to the end of my rope and just broke down and gave it all to God. When I did, a peace came over me. Things started turning the corner.

We still have our ups and downs. God doesn't promise everything will be like peaches and cream. I still have worry and anxiety, but I've learned, the faster I give it over to God, the faster I receive his peace.

I always prided myself in my family being everything to me, and that's not a bad thing. For my children's sake, I wish I would have recognized earlier that my priorities were wrong. They should have be God, wife, family and ministry. That is what I want to teach my kids. I pray I didn't figure it out to late.

Earlier I said "Strange how God works sometimes." Little did I know that one day I'd come to a bowhunting site to type out my testimony; or ask for prayers and pray for complete strangers. Truth is, the seeds that this community sows doesn't always fall on hard ground. Thanks for allowing me to share and thank everyone for sharing.
                  Last edited by Hoggslayer; 03-06-2022, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Jason

I have the exact opposite experience and know without a doubt in my heart or mind that the bible is absolutely divine, from God, and Jesus Christ is as real in my life as anyone else I know. When I read the Bible it speaks truth that cannot be disputed. The more I trust in Him, the more He reveals Himself to me.
                    I will pray that God reveals himself to you in a way that will remove any doubt about His presence, His Truth, and His authority, and more importantly about His Will for you. I pray you will also consider asking Him to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post

I was saved at 12years old. I knew I wanted Jesus as my savior, but I thought that just meant, when I get older I'd go to church every now and then. I ran from God most of my life. Well... I wouldn't say run, but I jogged. I was a "good guy". I tried to live by my rules, on my schedule, and always seemed to be a day late and a dollar short. I never got into anything bad, other than a little underage drinking and maybe some hunting that may, or may not have been frowned upon by the GW's. I thought things were going OK until I split with my 1st wife. I didn't understand why it happened until years later. I spent the next 17 years beating my head against the wall, thinking I controlled my destiny. Funny, I remember when I first got on TBH, I thought it was weird to see men on a bow hunting site openly ask for prayer. (Little did I know, seeds were being sown)

It wasn't until my daughter was about 7 that being a "good guy" just wasn't going to cut it anymore. My wife said something to me that finally clicked. She said "little Girls pick husbands that remind them of their Daddies." I didn't want my daughter picking a "good guy" as a husband. I want her to pick a Godly man so my grand daughter would know what type of man to look for. Up until then, I had never thought about being the spiritual leader for my family. I wish I had realized the importance of that role as a husband and farther.

That is the initial motivation that started me on my journey for a better relationship with Jesus Christ. My kids are very important to me and I want the best for them. The example I was setting wasn't good enough.

So I start trying to go to church more often. We went here and there, but it still wasn't natural thing to get up Sunday morning and want to go to church.
                      We moved around and tried a few different churches but didn't find one that fit, so we faded back to old habits.

Then we had a boating accident on lake Livingston. A freak storm came out of nowhere and sunk our 16ft jon boat. I almost lost my whole family, but by the grace of God we all made it. Started looking for another church but ultimately faded back into old habits. Then hurricane Harvey hit, and by the grace of God we were spared. My daughter asked my wife if they could find a place to volunteer, to help people that were flooded. They ended up at the church we serve at now. I'd like to say it was just the right time but really, it was just stupid me finally opening my eyes.

We started attending and serving. We met a lot of people and we joined a homegroup. Funny how God used a couple of storms to prepare me and put people in my life for a bigger storm to come.

May 18, 2018, my son Clay was shot at Santa Fe High School. God was with him that day and saved him. For the next year I went through so many different emotions. Nothing I could do eased my anxiety. Clay lived with my Ex and we rarely communicated. I constantly worried about how he was doing. Worry and anxiety controlled me and it was driving a wedge between Clay and I. Heck, everyone and I. I finally got to the end of my rope and just broke down and gave it all to God. When I did, a peace came over me. Things started turning the corner.

We still have our ups and downs. God doesn't promise everything will be like peaches and cream. I still have worry and anxiety, but I've learned, the faster I give it over to God, the faster I receive his peace.

I always prided myself in my family being everything to me, and that's not a bad thing. For my children's sake, I wish I would have recognized earlier that my priorities were wrong. They should have be God, wife, family and ministry. That is what I want to teach my kids. I pray I didn't figure it out to late.

Earlier I said "Strange how God works sometimes." Little did I know that one day I'd come to a bowhunting site to type out my testimony; or ask for prayers and pray for complete strangers. Truth is, the seeds that this community sows doesn't always fall on hard ground. Thanks for allowing me to share and thank everyone for sharing.
                      Awesome

Thank you for sharing

Comment

Jason

As Christians our mission is to respect others convictions even if they don’t align with ours. I truly respect your position but will pray that your heart isn’t hardened to the point that will allow you someday to re evaluate your position concerning God. I have known Christians that have turned from God because of horrible things that happened in life, only to return later with a better understanding that as Christians we are constantly under attack by Satan to undermine our beliefs and faith. I hope that you can come to a cross road in your life that will allow you to consider that you might be wrong. Believing in God costs us absolutely nothing with nothing to lose but everything to gain. Good day sir.

Comment

God bless you brother Jay! I am one that has seen your transformation right here on the Green Screen over these past years. I have prayed for you and with you when Clay was shot... I was sad to read about the riff between you and him, but rejoice that you two have reconciled it. You have a fine son and there's no better gift that God can give a man than a son (or any child for that matter)! Praise God for your testimony!

Comment

Up until then, I had never thought about being the spiritual leader for my family. I wish I had realized the importance of that role as a husband and farther.
                            I've cried rivers of tears over this same thing. I know God doesn't want me to and His plan is divine. But when I think about what I could've taught my children and how blessed my marriage could've been for so many years I become overwhelmed with emotion. I use it as a reminder and a motivation of how important it is to live every moment forward for Him. It's never too late to bear witness and my children, even tho grown, know the lord now and all have accepted Jesus.
                            Awesome testimony brother! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                              I grew up as church of Christy and a pretty much fire and brimstone kinda preaching. I went to church pretty much cuz mama made me. It was more of a social thing for me. I went to church camps and got baptised because everyone else was doing it.

Fast forward to getting married at the age of 19 to my beautiful bride, I almost lost her and our first born son because I decided that talking to other women online was more important while I was deployed. I knew for sure it was over and they were gone. The pain in her voice was more than I could bare and for a short time I didn't care if the next attack we went though took me out or not.

I knew I needed to change so I started going to church while deployed. It was hard to make it work with my schedule but I knew I needed to flip a switch and change. I got baptized in Iraq (and actually knew why this time) I went home about a month later on midtour leave in hopes to repair my marriage. My wife was skeptical when we would talk on the phone but who could blame her. Once I finally made it home to her and my oldest son, I spent the next two weeks trying to show her I had changed. Luckily she is more of a God fearing human than I and knew the God in me was stronger than ever before.

Fast forward to today and we have been married 18yrs as of yesterday and have been walking with christ ever since. All thanks to my beautiful bride for saving my life.
                              Amen brother! I thank God for the forgiveness in your wife's heart and your conviction to be her husband in Christ!

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                                As Christians our mission is to respect others convictions even if they don’t align with ours. I truly respect your position but will pray that your heart isn’t hardened to the point that will allow you someday to re evaluate your position concerning God. I have known Christians that have turned from God because of horrible things that happened in life, only to return later with a better understanding that as Christians we are constantly under attack by Satan to undermine our beliefs and faith. I hope that you can come to a cross road in your life that will allow you to consider that you might be wrong. Believing in God costs us absolutely nothing with nothing to lose but everything to gain. Good day sir.

I absolutely could be wrong. Could you? My exit from the faith had nothing to do with any horrible life experience, it was simply studying the faith and it’s claims and not finding them credible. I care about truth, but unfortunately my experience with religion and Christianity in particular, is that most of it’s adherents do NOT. They care more for confirmation bias than factual truth. I am open but skeptical always

Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X