Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
BrianG
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County
Default Sonora / Sutton County 2021

Thought I would get this started. We're still seeing the numbers improve and we're pouring the protein to them. Anyone seeing any of the transplanted deer? We've seen two so far off of 189. It doesn't look like we lost any exotics to freeze a weeks ago. Good luck to everyone this spring turkey season.
Attached Images

BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith County, Stephens County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Thought I would get this started. We're still seeing the numbers improve and we're pouring the protein to them. Anyone seeing any of the transplanted deer? We've seen two so far off of 189. It doesn't look like we lost any exotics to freeze a weeks ago. Good luck to everyone this spring turkey season.
I left my lease of years out there after it was wiped out. Are you saying the State transplanted deer back into the area? After going through that mess one time I don't want any part of an area prone to that. Spend a small fortune and invest years into your herd to have them all die in 2 weeks. Bad thing is it's not if but when it hits again. We finally had a decent population of mature bucks to hunt after years of managing for them and almost overnight they all died. Hopefully it's many years between outbreaks for you guys that stuck it out.
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #3
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

transplanted deer? Do they have tags in?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
BrianG
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
transplanted deer? Do they have tags in?
Yes they do as required by the TTP program from TPWD.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
BrianG
Ten Point

We had a good turkey opener. My daughter got a couple of birds, and my son unfortunately missed one.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
mdb0531
Four Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Pulled my camera cards last weekend. Saw several axis, lots of turkeys, lots of hogs...very thin on the WT numbers tho.
mdb0531 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
Arturo V
Four Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Co./Tom Green Co.

Looking to fill a spot/lease in this area. I hunt with my mostly bow if alone or if my wife or 6 year old little girl is along we will watch deer and or crack the 30-30.
Willing to pay up to 3k per a spot + feed!
I have feeders -corn, protein and cotton seed feeders. I have My krivoman blind , Rv and buggy. Mojo our blood trailing dog comes along too. We’re Willing to work on work weekends and help manage a herd. We love camp life and family time. No all nighters for us. 11pm is late!! I have a 3 yr old son that will share camp every now and then, not hunting yet.
We’re no meat hunter by any means, walked many Ah deer - last year not killing anything.
Please pm me if you think I’d fit, we also love to cook!
Wife in I will split tags. If she’s up to shooting anything anyways. Thank you in advance!
Arturo V is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #8
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Ttt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTrophyBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 11:41 AM   #9
AndyMane
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora Tx

Seeing plenty of deer and exotics between 864 & 10. Dumped a ton of protein and corn out for back in July. They are on the protein hard.

Headed back up for Dove opener..... Can't wait.
AndyMane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #10
BrianG
Ten Point

I was out there a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I only had one camera out but we put several out and should have some good picks when we go back in a couple of weeks. Everything is looking good so far.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #11
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Im excited to contribute to this thread this year. We are currently under contract on our place

Old 08-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #12
mikem
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Tx/Ohio/San Angelo
Default proggress

BG

Glad to see ur WT are coming back. Melvin still beating the brush with ya'll?
mikem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 02:00 PM   #13
BrianG
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
BG

Glad to see ur WT are coming back. Melvin still beating the brush with ya'll?
He's still giving 'em hell!
Old 08-25-2021, 11:33 PM   #14
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sonora/Sutton County

Looks good Brian. Ready to get out there
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2021, 07:16 AM   #15
AndyMane
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora Tx

headed out west this weekend to hang one more last minute stand and shoot some birds.
AndyMane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #16
Jamerendino
Four Point

I hunt near Devils river state park, not far from Sonora. The thread mentioned the whitetail being wiped out, in my experience on my lease, we have lacked mature bucks but have ton a exotics. Please tell what happened to the whitetail years ago in this area.
Jamerendino is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #17
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerendino View Post
I hunt near Devils river state park, not far from Sonora. The thread mentioned the whitetail being wiped out, in my experience on my lease, we have lacked mature bucks but have ton a exotics. Please tell what happened to the whitetail years ago in this area.
Anthrax wiped them out a few years ago. very few south of 10 and west of 277 made it through that summer.
sharpstick35 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2021, 08:56 AM   #18
Faulkster
Four Point

we are south of 10 about 12 miles and still struggling. Our place is showing some signs of life. It does not look like we have had a fawn crop since the Anthrax hit. We have some 3.5 year old deer running around and a few 4.5 to 5.5. Our buck population looks to be double what our doe population is. Before all this happened for years we had a very solid age structure and maintained a 2:1 and very near 1:1 ratio. Still have a long road to recovery for sure.
Faulkster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2021, 09:14 AM   #19
BrianG
Ten Point

We did a camera survey this past weekend.

Deer count from 8 locations.
6000 acres

7 /2-3pt bucks
24 / 4-7 pt bucks
42 / 8+ pt bucks
22 does
17 fawns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #20
TexHunter12
Spike

We hunt just outside of Sonora. We are hit very hard in some pastures and less in others (6000 acres). Less in the Northern most pastures and devastated in the Southern most pastures. The year the Anthrax hit we had 2 major flash floods just prior. One was historic and unearthed ground that probably had not seen the light of day in 100's of years. What we found was that the draws were by far hit the worst. We found dead deer every where! In the hills, not so much. Like others, our bucks were not hit very hard but the does (who tend to travel the draws much more were hammered. Bucks don't tend to travel the draws as much when not in rut as they stay in heavy cover more. We have not had tags (MLD ) the past 2 years. Not sure we will this year although the herd has significantly increased. Lots of double fawn drops this year with excellent fawn survival rates. Our helicopter survey will happen in the next few days and our final spotlight survey soon after to complete surveys for this season. I don't anticipate many if any tags but we should be in good condition by next year. It has been tough but our group stayed put (had the lease since the late 80's). We still go out and "hunt" (count deer) during the season as we are all management minded and actually enjoy watching the fruits of our labor. We have been pouring the feed all along to help them out and they are back to consuming close to pre anthrax amounts.
TexHunter12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #21
TexHunter12
Spike

I should have stated this to give some perspective. In the norther most pastures we lost about 50% of the herd. In the Southern most pastures we lost up to 95%. A little South of us I know places that were high fenced that sis not have a live animal left on the place and had to completely restock!
Old 09-17-2021, 04:55 PM   #22
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHunter12 View Post
We hunt just outside of Sonora. We are hit very hard in some pastures and less in others (6000 acres). Less in the Northern most pastures and devastated in the Southern most pastures. The year the Anthrax hit we had 2 major flash floods just prior. One was historic and unearthed ground that probably had not seen the light of day in 100's of years. What we found was that the draws were by far hit the worst. We found dead deer every where! In the hills, not so much. Like others, our bucks were not hit very hard but the does (who tend to travel the draws much more were hammered. Bucks don't tend to travel the draws as much when not in rut as they stay in heavy cover more. We have not had tags (MLD ) the past 2 years. Not sure we will this year although the herd has significantly increased. Lots of double fawn drops this year with excellent fawn survival rates. Our helicopter survey will happen in the next few days and our final spotlight survey soon after to complete surveys for this season. I don't anticipate many if any tags but we should be in good condition by next year. It has been tough but our group stayed put (had the lease since the late 80's). We still go out and "hunt" (count deer) during the season as we are all management minded and actually enjoy watching the fruits of our labor. We have been pouring the feed all along to help them out and they are back to consuming close to pre anthrax amounts.

Where about is you place. We are off bond road checked cams for the first time. Saw only about 5 -6 different small bucks and 2-3 doe. Feeders have only been out for a week though

Old 09-30-2021, 10:36 PM   #23
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Pulled cards today. Plenty of WT. nothing huge yet. Few axis in the mix. Supposed to get some good rain today

Old 10-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #24
TexHunter12
Spike

We are West of town about 8mi.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:34 PM   #25
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
We are West of town about 8mi.

How was the opening weekend?

Old 10-05-2021, 12:18 AM   #26
TexHunter12
Spike

Good so far. I’m here until Thursday. Had a solid 160 class main frame 10 with split G2’s and 3’s come around this evening. Came to within 50 yards. Heck of a deer. Seeing good numbers so far.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:12 AM   #27
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good so far. Iím here until Thursday. Had a solid 160 class main frame 10 with split G2ís and 3ís come around this evening. Came to within 50 yards. Heck of a deer. Seeing good numbers so far.
That has to be promising to see that caliber deer! Is he on the shoot or pass list? Iím anxious to get out to the lease and hunt this coming wkend. Didnít hunt opening so itís time to get out there!!!
Old 10-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #28
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Good so far. Iím here until Thursday. Had a solid 160 class main frame 10 with split G2ís and 3ís come around this evening. Came to within 50 yards. Heck of a deer. Seeing good numbers so far.

Dang a 160 is awesome and Iím guessing low fence!? Thatís a great deer for the area!

Old 10-05-2021, 01:37 PM   #29
Jamerendino
Four Point

I don't think i have seen a deer break 130 in my area. We are trying to manage our area for the health of the herd. What is the G.S's opinion for full genetic potential in this area on average? Is 140 (5 year old ) to be expected with a good rain season, year round corn and supplemental protein?
Jamerendino is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #30
BrianG
Ten Point

Quote:
I don't think i have seen a deer break 130 in my area. We are trying to manage our area for the health of the herd. What is the G.S's opinion for full genetic potential in this area on average? Is 140 (5 year old ) to be expected with a good rain season, year round corn and supplemental protein?
I've been out there for many years and 120's to 130's is realistic for a mature buck. We've killed a few in the 40's and 50"s

I'm headed out Thursday and staying until Monday for my opener. Ready to unwind.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #31
WTN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

Quote:
I've been out there for many years and 120's to 130's is realistic for a mature buck. We've killed a few in the 40's and 50"s

I'm headed out Thursday and staying until Monday for my opener. Ready to unwind.
Good Luck, Brian! Glad to hear that things are rebounding.
WTN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #32
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:

Iím sure you will get the few and far between studs! Takes lots of time though for genetics to get where you want them. With all this rain and browse I wouldnít doubt some bigger deer this year.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:07 PM   #33
TexHunter12
Spike

Has taken us a long time (30yrs) of management. Pre anthrax we kept the herd at about 1/2 bucks to does and really work on culls and older 8ís. We will typically kill a couple deer a year in the 150 range. I would say our avg trophy kill is 140+. This area can produce but it take time and patience. We are low fenced and surrounded by very large ranches with similar mindsets. We have elected (us, owner and state biologist) to hold off one more year so the big boy gets a pass to breed. Along with the deer from last night I know of prob 5 more that will push 160. Largest we have taken was 172 w 16pts. Lots of properties this way seem to be overrun with deer numbers (normally) and that is why the bucks canít grow to potential. Another good practice that is hard to get people to do is to take your does EARLY! Does shot late are breed and the bucks have spent lots of energy chasing them around. Plus the big boys can only breed so many and then the culls get them some. Hahaha.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:15 PM   #34
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Has taken us a long time (30yrs) of management. Pre anthrax we kept the herd at about 1/2 bucks to does and really work on culls and older 8ís. We will typically kill a couple deer a year in the 150 range. I would say our avg trophy kill is 140+. This area can produce but it take time and patience. We are low fenced and surrounded by very large ranches with similar mindsets. We have elected (us, owner and state biologist) to hold off one more year so the big boy gets a pass to breed. Along with the deer from last night I know of prob 5 more that will push 160. Largest we have taken was 172 w 16pts. Lots of properties this way seem to be overrun with deer numbers (normally) and that is why the bucks canít grow to potential. Another good practice that is hard to get people to do is to take your does EARLY! Does shot late are breed and the bucks have spent lots of energy chasing them around. Plus the big boys can only breed so many and then the culls get them some. Hahaha.

Thatís always my problem I never shoot doe early!

Old 10-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #35
Hoytbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:

Good luck,
Hoytbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 02:27 PM   #36
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Anyone have any luck this weekend?

Old 10-11-2021, 07:34 PM   #37
BrianG
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
Anyone have any luck this weekend?

We just got back home from our trip. Just a hog and a axis buck for our group. I had a few good camera pics.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:59 PM   #38
Sackett
Pope & Young

Looks like the remnants from Cyclone Pamela will be dumping a ton of rain on Thursday in the area
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #39
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default Sonora / Sutton County 2021

I got this guy at my place last Thursday afternoon! He isnít wide, but he sure makes up for that with tall!!!!!! If his brows would have been long like everything else, heíd be dang near perfect!

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 10-11-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 08:14 PM   #40
BrianG
Ten Point

Great buck Bish! Congratulations!

Old 10-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #41
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post

I got this guy at my place last Thursday afternoon! He isnít wide, but he sure makes up for that with tall!!!!!! If his brows would have been long like everything else, heíd be dang near perfect!

Bisch

Thatís quite a buck!
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 08:39 PM   #42
SaintBlaise
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Nice deer Bisch
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 09:01 PM   #43
TheHammer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:

Bisch

Great deer! Congrats!
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 09:05 PM   #44
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Onalaska Texas

That’s a great deer Bish. Great time length. Good shooting.
Gumbo Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 11:14 PM   #45
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:

Bisch

Very nice buck. Congrats!!!
Old 10-12-2021, 10:48 AM   #46
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:

Bisch

Thatís a stud Bisch! Congrats on the buck!

Old 10-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #47
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Nothing huge or even big yet as far as white tails or axis. Some decent young up and comers though. Seems to be that narrow deer are pretty common around here. The no brows deer is the the only ďmaybeĒ shooter

Old 10-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #48
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Nice deer Bisch!!!
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #49
Sackett
Pope & Young

Dang Bisch, that is a STUD! We'll have to meet for dinner one night this season.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 06:38 PM   #50
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Dang Bisch, that is a STUD! We'll have to meet for dinner one night this season.

Just holler at me and we will make that happen.

Bisch

Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top