Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.
Default All Star game!

I canít believe Iíve watched over 50 of these. The first I remember clearly was in 1965 when I was 9. I spent all my allowance and any money I earned on baseball cards. As each player came to bat I pulled their card out of the cigar box and put them on the coffee table in front of the TV. That year the rosters included names like Aaron, Rose, Drysdale, Gibson, Mantle, Killebrew, Robinson and Mays. Wow. I had all their cards but have no idea whatever happened to them Fox does a great job with it - I enjoy all the interviews and the mic on the players is cool
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #2
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Yes time marches on ,really enjoying the game.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

We stand up together honoring our TBH brothers and sisters who passed from cancer

Sadly there are to many to list you will never be forgotten
Cajun Blake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Tuned in.

Great as always minus Joe Buck.....
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #5
camoclad
Four Point

Hunt In: central tx

Miked up players is greatness. buck keeps it interesting, can't wait for WS and fox football with troy to start up.
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Pitcher's duel so far... tends to make for a "boring" game for most fans, but I love it!!

You Astro's and Ranger's fans notice how the National guys, commentators and annalists all but ignore both teams... Hardly any mention of the facts that almost half the starting team for the AL was Astros. The first hit of the game was an Astro. The first run scored was an Astro off a double hit by an Astro... Yet, all these arseholes can talk about is how great the Yanks and Dodgers are...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #7
redfishted
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Iowa

The interview with Lindor was tip top.
redfishted is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #8
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Tuned in, great game so far
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
droebuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Pitcher's duel so far... tends to make for a "boring" game for most fans, but I love it!!

You Astro's and Ranger's fans notice how the National guys, commentators and annalists all but ignore both teams... Hardly any mention of the facts that almost half the starting team for the AL was Astros. The first hit of the game was an Astro. The first run scored was an Astro off a double hit by an Astro... Yet, all these arseholes can talk about is how great the Yanks and Dodgers are...
Oh, I noticed. It's either Yanks, Dodgers or Red Sox. What is wrong with A-Rod he kept petting CC's arm during the pre game interview? J-Lo might be a cover, that guy has some serious man crush issues.
droebuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #10
sandbill
Eight Point

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I canít believe Iíve watched over 50 of these. The first I remember clearly was in 1965 when I was 9. I spent all my allowance and any money I earned on baseball cards. As each player came to bat I pulled their card out of the cigar box and put them on the coffee table in front of the TV. That year the rosters included names like Aaron, Rose, Drysdale, Gibson, Mantle, Killebrew, Robinson and Mays. Wow. I had all their cards but have no idea whatever happened to them Fox does a great job with it - I enjoy all the interviews and the mic on the players is cool
Much the same for me as well! I too remember watching this group of players back in the day. Some other larger-than-life players from our early years included Kaline, Yastrzemski (my favorite position player), McCovey, Seaver (favorite pitcher), Lolich and McLain, Powell, etc. The list can go on forever. I loved watching the one, maybe two games on TV each week- the Saturday 'Game of the Week', listening to Curt Gowdy, Tony Kubek, and Joe Garagiola. Good times!
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by droebuck View Post
Oh, I noticed. It's either Yanks, Dodgers or Red Sox. What is wrong with A-Rod he kept petting CC's arm during the pre game interview? J-Lo might be a cover, that guy has some serious man crush issues.
Man I saw that!!

They really had to struggle to find an MVP too... Naturally picked an Indian for the home team crowd... All he did was strike out the side... big woopie...
Old 07-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Itís hard for me to watch, but my 8 year old ball player LOVED it! He will spend hours watching baseball highlights on YouTube, so the chance to see Yellich, and Bellinger play is big medicine for him.

I remember watching and waiting for Ruben Sierra, Pete Incavillia, or Toby Harrsh to get their chance to hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #13
smokeless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

I’m glad y’all saw it. It was blocked out on my tv
smokeless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #14
TxDieselKid
Six Point

It was actually a good game if you like the sport, but kind of boring compared to past years if you're a casual fan.

Fox does a good job of making it a big deal, and I enjoy that. I don't watch the NBA, and NFL has never been my thing, so MLB is where it's at sporting wise for me. Yes, Joe Buck sucks, but it is what it is. At least Fox gives it the attention it deserves. I enjoyed it even more when it decided home field advantage for the World Series, kind of an interesting twist that made it actually mean something.
TxDieselKid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #15
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Fox actually was the pioneer in all the baseball techie stuff. The microphones in the bases/masks were first used in the 96 series with the Yanks and Braves. I know...I was there. Installed them. Fox spent a lot of time and money creating all these computer generated stats and illustrations. Scanning playing swings pitching forms ect...The mid 90's really allowed the baseball to get very deep in the computer research game. I think it has been a plus because the fans crave what they put out.
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 06:53 PM   #16
Dr. Evil
Ten Point

I personally didn’t like the mics and earpieces on the field. Too distracting to the players IMHO.
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #17
TxDieselKid
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I personally didnít like the mics and earpieces on the field. Too distracting to the players IMHO.
It's an exhibition game that has no meaning for the winner. I thought it was cool. Now when they talk to the managers in between innings, THAT is a little over the line I think but they are going for that basketball/football coach soundbite at half time type thing.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #18
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDieselKid View Post
It's an exhibition game that has no meaning for the winner. I thought it was cool. Now when they talk to the managers in between innings, THAT is a little over the line I think but they are going for that basketball/football coach soundbite at half time type thing.
Not true. Several years back they made the All Star game winner the home team for the World Series. So this October whoever the American League champion will host the National League champion and will have a 4 games to 3 advantage of home field, including the first 2 games in the series...

I for one sure am hoping it will open in Minute Maid Park this Fall... They'll have to rediscover how to beat the Rangers first tho!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #19
TxDieselKid
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Not true. Several years back they made the All Star game winner the home team for the World Series. So this October whoever the American League champion will host the National League champion and will have a 4 games to 3 advantage of home field, including the first 2 games in the series...

I for one sure am hoping it will open in Minute Maid Park this Fall... They'll have to rediscover how to beat the Rangers first tho!
They actually changed that back to where it does not decide the home team for the World Series last year. I loved the previous way so much better, gave meaning to the game.