Pet Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pet Insurance

Do any of yall have pet insurance? If so, what company? Any good or bad experiences with it?

The new pup: Doc
    Attached Files

We had it on the previous dog and not on the current dog. Now, we just pay the vet bills as they come. In my experience, they don't cover everything but rather reimburse you a portion for covered procedures. Its a gamble. Premiums add up over the years and if the dog doesn't end up needing a lot of care it is a waste of money. They also have plenty of exclusions based on the breed of dog. Check those out. You might end up ahead if you put the money you would spend on it in a separate savings account just for vet bills.

Comment

I had pet insurance on my last 2 Rotties thru Nationwide. I came out probably ahead as I had my male attack my female 5 times and she ended up at the vet with serious injuries. No problem getting reimbursed for any of the vets bills. Coverage for even a Rottie was only $60 per month per dog at the last. It started out at $50 per dog per month. If I had another Rottie or Rotties, I would get the insurance, especially on a Rottie.

Comment

Lord, hell no. Insurance is bad enough for cars and humans. No way in hell I am having insurance on a **** animal. Insurance is the biggest legal scam of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanBuck View Post
          Lord, hell no. Insurance is bad enough for cars and humans. No way in hell I am having insurance on a **** animal. Insurance is the biggest legal scam of all time.
          Your opinion and I disagree! You have no idea of anyone's situation on owning a pet.

Comment

Good look8ng pup.

What do you get for what you pay in premiums?

Is there a copay?

I just couldn’t see pet insurance as a good buy, but could be proven wrong.

Comment

I've got it on mine, but my dogs are competitive dogs.
              I've used Nationwide and PetPlan. Both very comprable.
              It's worth it if something bad goes wrong, like a crutiate tear or an elbow injury (both very common in labs).
              I would not have it for a pet dog/hunting dog.

Comment

Honestly, I think it depends on the dog/dogs and what they are going to be. He is my scenario and why I had insurance on my last 2 Rotties.

I have owned 5 thru the years. The middle 2, a male and female had 5 surgeries between the 2. 3 blown ACL's and 2 swallowed toys that had to be cut out. AS most know surgeries from a vet ain't cheap. When I got my last 2, that is when I got the insurance Rotties are prone to blown ACL's due to their size and weight and my female loved eating toys.

Most do not pay for regular checkups and things like that but when you have a 110 pound female and a 138 pound male and they get into a fight, serious things happen. I could go back and find the charges that the insurance covers, but it is up to the individual to determine if they want insurance or not. All I ever paid was premiums, no co pay. When we got the vet bill and paid it, I would fil out the info page for nationwide and send it to them and I would get a check in return. We knew what was covered and what was not covered.

Just giving my opinion and my results from having pet insurance. And yes I would do it again if I have Rotties again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Shark View Post
                  I've got it on mine, but my dogs are competitive dogs.
                  I've used Nationwide and PetPlan. Both very comprable.
                  It's worth it if something bad goes wrong, like a crutiate tear or an elbow injury (both very common in labs).
                  I would not have it for a pet dog/hunting dog.
                  I plan to run him in hunt tests, but he wont be on the trainer's truck. He will hunt 2-3 times a week during duck season.

Comment

I do not, although after seeing some experiences with my sister and her dog, I'm considering it myself.

For now, we figured the cost of annual visits, vaccinations, preventative, and prescription dog food, divided it by 12 and set aside that much. Our old dog in on prescription dog food, which is not covered by insurance.

I think you could do the same and add in what insurance premiums are and set aside. If a few years from now your dog is injured and needs an MRI or xrays or surgery, you will have a pretty good cash amount set up.

Another way to look at is, what risky activity is you dog involved in? Cow dog work? Hunting (risk = snakes, broken legs, etc). If you had to pay out of pocket for hospital bills, how much are you willing to pay? Will that amount be what you are willing to do if your dog needs that kind of care?

In other words, say you are a professional duck hunting guide and your one dog is running after a duck that is on the ground and he gets hit by a rattle snake. A rattle snake treatment costs (guessing) $2500-$5000. Can you pay $5,000 today for that? Are you willing to pay that? If you are willing but only able to pay $500, maybe you should think about getting insurance.

If on the other hand your dog is mostly a family pet and lives a very risk adverse life, insurance may not be worth the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                      I do not, although after seeing some experiences with my sister and her dog, I'm considering it myself.

For now, we figured the cost of annual visits, vaccinations, preventative, and prescription dog food, divided it by 12 and set aside that much. Our old dog in on prescription dog food, which is not covered by insurance.

I think you could do the same and add in what insurance premiums are and set aside. If a few years from now your dog is injured and needs an MRI or xrays or surgery, you will have a pretty good cash amount set up.

Another way to look at is, what risky activity is you dog involved in? Cow dog work? Hunting (risk = snakes, broken legs, etc). If you had to pay out of pocket for hospital bills, how much are you willing to pay? Will that amount be what you are willing to do if your dog needs that kind of care?

In other words, say you are a professional duck hunting guide and your one dog is running after a duck that is on the ground and he gets hit by a rattle snake. A rattle snake treatment costs (guessing) $2500-$5000. Can you pay $5,000 today for that? Are you willing to pay that? If you are willing but only able to pay $500, maybe you should think about getting insurance.

If on the other hand your dog is mostly a family pet and lives a very risk adverse life, insurance may not be worth the cost.
                      Your work through of the situation definitely makes sense, unfortunately, you would still come out of pocket for all costs and then would be reimbursed for whatever the Insurance company is willing to pay.
                      But yes he will be a duck hunting and hunt test dog.

Comment

Healthy paws. Great experience. Reimbursement of 80% on things like Surgeries, X-rays, CT scans, radiation treatment . Does not cover the routine stuff. Paying 38/month on one 42/month on the other.

Comment

I have Trupanion on our Frenchies and thank goodness I do. Between allergy shots and one having cancer I'm glad I do. Just the weekly Chemo covers the cost. That said I just carry on Frenchies and not the labs. That was just my risk analysis.

Comment

I don't but it would have been hanky for my Catahoula's crutiate tear. Around $3500 when all said and done.

Dang cat chasing dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint View Post
                              I don't but it would have been hanky for my Catahoula's crutiate tear. Around $3500 when all said and done.

Dang cat chasing dog.
                              Those surgeries are dang expensive!

Comment

Working...
                              X